EF 24-70 /2.8 L not communicating with RP through adaptor.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
photomangriz
photomangriz Forum Member • Posts: 93
EF 24-70 /2.8 L not communicating with RP through adaptor.

Has anyone else had or seen this? My version 1 EF24-70 L /2.8 gets a communication error with the adaptor on my RP. It works fine on my EOS6D MKII. Also, my 17-40 and 70-200 work fine with the same adaptor and RP. just hoping if this is a known bug maybe there is a fix.... Thanks in advance, John....

photomangriz's gear list:photomangriz's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS RP +15 more
RDKirk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,879
Re: EF 24-70 /2.8 L not communicating with RP through adaptor.

photomangriz wrote:

Has anyone else had or seen this? My version 1 EF24-70 L /2.8 gets a communication error with the adaptor on my RP. It works fine on my EOS6D MKII. Also, my 17-40 and 70-200 work fine with the same adaptor and RP. just hoping if this is a known bug maybe there is a fix.... Thanks in advance, John....

Very odd.

I have two adapters that work just fine with both my version one 24-105 as well as my 1987-vintage 50mm f/1.8 (with the steel lens mount)...so it's not a matter of the age of the lens.

-- hide signature --

RDKirk
'TANSTAAFL: The only unbreakable rule in photography.'

RDKirk's gear list:RDKirk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +7 more
RichW Forum Pro • Posts: 12,924

Don't know if it's a known issue but I have the same lens and it has the same issue on my R5.  I don't have another body to try it on but it always worked on my 5D M4.  I just figured the lens went bad but I don't know for sure.

RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
photomangriz
OP photomangriz Forum Member • Posts: 93

RichW wrote:

Don't know if it's a known issue but I have the same lens and it has the same issue on my R5. I don't have another body to try it on but it always worked on my 5D M4. I just figured the lens went bad but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the replies. Rich, I am a little worried now since you have the same issue :(... I have the lens on my 6Dii right now and it is working fine. No idea why it won't work on the RP.

RichW Forum Pro • Posts: 12,924

It concerns me too.  I figured that it was just my lens since no one else has been complaining.  Now I'm wondering...

RichW's gear list:RichW's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,380
Firmware?

There has been a few firmware updates releases for the Rp.  Are you on the latest version?

Glenn Haley Senior Member • Posts: 1,272

I tried my 24-70 f/2.8 L MKII on my RP with adapter and had no problems.

photomangriz
OP photomangriz Forum Member • Posts: 93

Well, I tried it again and this time it worked. So I am confused now. I was on location when it failed. I tried for 10 minutes and couldn't get it to work. I then tried at the hotel that night again with no luck. Today it works at one FW revision old. I just updated to the latest FW 1.5.0. It is still working. So I am hoping I just had a bad day but I fear it will return :(....

herion
herion Contributing Member • Posts: 753

Just tested my 24-70L V1 on my R... works fine - focus snaps right on. My R *did* act a bit wonky with the 28-70L (worked fine on my 6D2 and 30D), but it's fine since the last firmware update.

herion's gear list:herion's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads