FZ1000 viewfinder image very dark

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
idreos Regular Member • Posts: 269
FZ1000 viewfinder image very dark

Over the last week my FZ1000 viewfinder has displayed an unusable dark image when using its viewfinder.

The lcd screen works fine. Have not been able to determine what might be causing this. Can someone guess what the problem might be?

Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dbelling Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Re: FZ1000 viewfinder image very dark

idreos wrote:

Over the last week my FZ1000 viewfinder has displayed an unusable dark image when using its viewfinder.

The lcd screen works fine. Have not been able to determine what might be causing this. Can someone guess what the problem might be?

Is it possible that the brightness was turned down via the menu? Go to settings > monitor display. When you look through the EVF it should change to viewfinder display. While still looking through the EVF change the brightness to a higher level. If you have already done this, then I really don't have another suggestion.

Regards, Dave

OP idreos Regular Member • Posts: 269

Dave, thanks for your response but when I go to the menu settings

the only setting options offered are Monitor display style

and Monitor Info Display (on/off)

changing both options does not bring back viewfinder image

Any other setting possibilities??

BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,223

idreos wrote:

If there is any chance you changed a setting that caused it, doing a factory reset should bring it back to original.

idreos wrote:

OK, I don't have a FZ1000, but all of my other Panasonic cameras have the ability to change the brightness of the EVF. Go to the symbol in the menu that looks like a wrench (spanner). Depending on the Panasonic model monitor display should be on page 2 or 3 and it probably will be just above monitor luminance. Click on monitor display and then look through the EVF. It should now say viewfinder or viewfinder display. You can now adjust the brightness of the EVF using the arrow dial on the back of the camera.

Regards, Dave

BBbuilder467 wrote:

idreos wrote:

If there is any chance you changed a setting that caused it, doing a factory reset should bring it back to original.

Good point.

Regards, Dave

bluzman
bluzman Contributing Member • Posts: 978

idreos wrote:

See page 49 of the manual.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon D3500 Nikon Z50 +19 more
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 12,590

In the menu with the wrench, panel 2/5 has an entry Viewfinder. Go right from there to adjust brightness.

-- hide signature --
 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P950
Cpljacko Contributing Member • Posts: 545

The important fact that it took me a while to realise is that the menu entry shows as Monitor Display when you are looking at the LCD but changes to viewfinder when you are looking through the EVF.  You can only make the change to the settings while you are actually looking through the EVF. Myself I'd be inclined to do a full reset.

Cpljacko's gear list:Cpljacko's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic LX10 Panasonic LX100 II Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II

Thanks all for your suggestions

reset did not correct viewfinder problem

I guess I will have to use screen in the future

Update

now the lcd screen will only work in the C1 and C2 modes. The other 10 dial mode dial options result in a black lcd screen

Cpljacko Contributing Member • Posts: 545

idreos wrote:

Update

now the lcd screen will only work in the C1 and C2 modes. The other 10 dial mode dial options result in a black lcd screen

Have you tried repeatedly pressing the display button? This will cycle you through the various display modes - one of which is the black screen. C1 and C2 are remembered settings and when you switch on the camera always displays in the mode it was in when you last switched it off - in this case it sounds as if the LCD was in switched off mode. The EVF button will also switch off the LCD (providing you have not reassigned it to some other function).

Cpljacko's gear list:Cpljacko's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic LX10 Panasonic LX100 II Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II

Thank you for your reply

I did what you recommended followed by a factory reset and it brought back all the modes on the dial enabling the lcd screen to work on all modes!

The only problem that remains is the very dark viewfinder

Any suggestions on what may be wrong with that function???

Thanks again for your help!

robnich
robnich Contributing Member • Posts: 738

Have you pressed the Fn5/LVF button at the top left of the camera back? One of the settings is a black viewfinder screen. Cycle through and see if the Viewfinder lights up.

Robert N.

robnich's gear list:robnich's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X100V Canon Pixma Pro-100

Robert

thanks for your quick reply!

Tried your suggestion didn't work

Asked for estimate from camera repair service and they advised the lcd control flex needs to be replaced.

Thanks again

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads