Lens-body combos out and about

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
dmokn Regular Member • Posts: 107
Lens-body combos out and about

Curious if others have one smaller body and one larger body and tend to use different sized lenses accordingly.

Background: I've had a GX7 forever and added a G85 recently. After the addition, I found that my two most used lenses have been the kit 12-60 and the 20 1.7ii. But I've found that if I'm grabbing my camera to go somewhere, I usually just choose between the G85 with 12-60 or the GX7 with the 20, as opposed to throwing the 20 onto the G85, for example.  The lens sizes just seem to match the bodies better -- like the 20 helps the GX7 kit remain tiny but doesn't help the G85 become pocketable, for example. And my "bigger" lenses feel better balanced on the G85, which has the nicer viewfinder, etc.

There's no right answer here; I was just wondering if other folks function that way or if you tend to use one cam and swap out lenses regardless of size considerations.

dmokn's gear list:dmokn's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,839
Re: Lens-body combos out and about

Sure. I tend to limit the GM5 to primes and small zooms. At the other end of the scale I can't recall using a small prime, such as the 45/1.8 with an E-M1+grip, but I use lenses of any size with the bare camera. Those are pretty extreme ends of the size-feature scale and I don't presently use any "mid-pack" bodies.

Interestingly, when using a large tele with tripod mount on a tripod, the body size is nearly irrelevant.

One of the pleasures of m4/3 is the vast array of lenses, bodies and accessories, which really span a wide territory.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466

I'll use any of my m4/3 lenses on any of my m4/3 bodies, depending on how I feel.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,421

dmokn wrote:

Curious if others have one smaller body and one larger body and tend to use different sized lenses accordingly.

Background: I've had a GX7 forever and added a G85 recently. After the addition, I found that my two most used lenses have been the kit 12-60 and the 20 1.7ii. But I've found that if I'm grabbing my camera to go somewhere, I usually just choose between the G85 with 12-60 or the GX7 with the 20, as opposed to throwing the 20 onto the G85, for example. The lens sizes just seem to match the bodies better -- like the 20 helps the GX7 kit remain tiny but doesn't help the G85 become pocketable, for example. And my "bigger" lenses feel better balanced on the G85, which has the nicer viewfinder, etc.

There's no right answer here; I was just wondering if other folks function that way or if you tend to use one cam and swap out lenses regardless of size considerations.

Similar to me, but quite different approach since I shall never go out with a single prime lens.

While GX7 was my main camera, 12-35 f/2.8 was my major walking around standard lens since the combo weighted around 710g only, a weight (also size) manageable to me.

Have upgraded to G85, I found happier to use 12-32 more to keep the weight down... The saving of 240g from 12-35 f/2.8 vs 12-32 is quite material...

Since G85 was bought just before Covid 19 outbreak, have no major travelling to put it on serious usage. Not sure could 12-32 really replace 12-35... (7-14 f/4, 45-150 & 15 will always in my camera bag).

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Jan Chelminski
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 2,272

For operating near or at the technical limits of m4/3, one tends to have more expensive larger lenses and often, serious intent.

‘Bodies like the G9 and 1X were created to satisfy users engaged as above, but you can see small lenses on a G9/1X, or sometimes a f/1.2 lens on a small, lower tier m4/3 body.

I felt it made sense to own two bodies, as long as I had a decent mix of both types of lenses.

‘This provided lots of flexibility.’Good luck!

Jan

-- hide signature --

"The camera introduces us to to unconscious optics as does psychoanalysis to unconscious impulses"
------
"The art of the critic in a nutshell: to coin slogans without betraying ideas. The slogans of an inadequate criticism peddle ideas to fashion."
-------
- Walter Benjamin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Drawing is a constant correcting of errors, maybe a great deal of creation is exactly that."
-----
- John Berger
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to exclude."
------
-- Susan Sontag

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II +5 more
cba_melbourne
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 3,426

dmokn wrote:

Absolutely. There is some overlap though.

With the GM1 and GM5 I tend to use small light primes and tiny zooms. An exception is the 60 macro and the 7-14F4 but these are still smallish and light enough.

The 12-40pro and the 40-150pro mainly go with the EM5.2. That is my large kit with largest bag.

The Pen-F I use mostly with small primes, but sometimes also with the 12-40pro.

I can say, that I bought many lenses with use on one particular camera size in mind, sometimes with nearly identical FL's. Of course it is an advantage that all share the same mount and could in a pinch be used on any camera. It just does not always make sense to me. I never put the tiny 14mm or 12-32 on the EM5 or Pen-F, it would work fine but makes no sense to me. And I never put the big and heavy 40-150pro on the GM, I tried and it works, but again makes no sense to me, especially as this lens has no OIS and the GM's have no ibis and this limits usefulness at this FL.

It's not only size and weight. Another consideration is cost of lenses. For my light travel kit the lenses see some abuse. I rather risk an accident with a cheaper and easier to replace lens. I would be more cautious with an expensive lens and may miss some shots... whereas the 14, 12-32, 35-100 and the SLRmagic 8mm are essentially expendable and easy to find again on the used market.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 1,943

i find the oly em 1 ii body a LITTLE on the heavy side for hiking. short walks ok

i got the pana gx9 for hiking and have the 12-32 and oly 14-150 with this body. it's about as light weight as you can get

if i think i will be seeing birds / wildlife i may use the oly 12-40 pro and the pana 100-300 and if it's inclement weather i take the em 1 in place of the gx9

since i got the 14-150 it's on my cameras 90% of the time

dmokn wrote:

Background: I've had a GX7 forever and added a G85 recently. After the addition, I found that my two most used lenses have been the kit 12-60 and the 20 1.7ii. But I've found that if I'm grabbing my camera to go somewhere, I usually just choose between the G85 with 12-60 or the GX7 with the 20, as opposed to throwing the 20 onto the G85, for example. The lens sizes just seem to match the bodies better -- like the 20 helps the GX7 kit remain tiny but doesn't help the G85 become pocketable, for example. And my "bigger" lenses feel better balanced on the G85, which has the nicer viewfinder, etc.

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,275

dmokn wrote:

I have both GX7 and GX8 and will use either my 12-32mm or 20mm on both cameras.

I tend to take my GX7 for social gatherings (not too many lately!) because it is less obtrusive. Also, easier to carry one handed - and even click from waist level one handed - with the thumb grip I installed.

GX7 with Fotodiox thumb grip

For outdoors general photography, I'll take the GX8 with one of those lenses because of the flip out LCD which I use often with the camera in vertical position. Also, the larger sensor affords more cropping room, which I don't need when using the GX7.

At the park or lake for nature photography, I take the GX8 for the larger sensor, with my 12-60mm and/or 45-150mm.

And my "bigger" lenses feel better balanced on the G85, which has the nicer viewfinder, etc.

That's an interesting comment. When using a large lens back in my film days, I was taught to balance the lens in my left hand. The camera, then, does nothing more than stabilize and make the exposure.

I started using my 100-400mm for wildlife with my GX7 before I acquired the GX8.

I never experienced any difficulty using a large lens on the small camera

Now, I use the GX8 with this lens because of DUAL IS and larger sensor.

There's no right answer here;

That is for sure! Interesting thread.

- Richard

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
Valdai21 Regular Member • Posts: 281

I don't like when the combo feels unbalanced so I tend to use my biggest lenses on my biggest cameras. Small lens on a big camera is less annoying but everything small is nice too.

The real point of owning several cameras and lenses is the ability to mix them so I try to keep a bit of flexibility.

ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,283

I use small lenses on the GM1 and larger ones on the EM1.2.  Sometimes I use the small primes on the EM1.2.  If I’m using lenses over 800g, they work better slung on a shoulder strap.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
OP dmokn Regular Member • Posts: 107

It's a good reminder, and nice tele shots. It's funny -- because the GX7 is so light, I got really used to one-handed shooting. Once I got the G85 and started using the 12-60 a lot, I did realize I need to support the camera by holding the lens. Where does the GX8 with a smaller lens fit for you?

dmokn's gear list:dmokn's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 2,023

I have three Panasonic M43 bodies.

The large one is GX8

The small is GM5

The intermediate is G7

I use any of my M43 lenses on any of these three bodies, but I dont have heavy /big lenses (see my gear list): small f3.5/4-5.6 zooms and f1.7/2.5 primes, and Olympus 9mm f8 body cap fish eye.

When traveling, or when photography is my main purpose, I usually go with GX8+GM5.

The widest lenses will be rather mounted on GM5

G7 is nice for video or when I want to go lighter with only one body and I plan to use the built-in flash.

Bigger bodies are more ergonomic and have twist ans swivel back LCD, but GM5 with a small prime or kit 12-32 allows me to go unnoticed like average Joe.

I like using GM5 with 12-60 or 14-140 for videoclips, it looks and handle  like a camcorder.

When I really want to go lighter/smaller, I use my 1" superzoom TZ110 (TZ100), DR is roughly the same as M43 thanks to excellent BSI Sony sensor, but the lens is softer and some small details or texture are softer.

If I need something really pocketable with a zoom, and I dont mind the drop in IQ and defintion, I use Panasonic LF1 or Olympus ZX10. Still more convenient and slightly better than my smartphone.

OTH, when I want the best IQ and photography is my main purpose, or ruggedness is a must, I may use my APS-C DSLR Pentax system.

Horses for courses....

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +24 more
Pete_W
Pete_W Senior Member • Posts: 1,532

I do much the same. My GX85 is used when I go out on foot with either the 20/1.7 or the 15/1.7, while the G95 is taken out with the whole kit in a bag.

-- hide signature --

Pete

Pete_W's gear list:Pete_W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic G95 +5 more
pietroroman
pietroroman Junior Member • Posts: 25

Oh I love putting the 20mm ii on the em-1 ii and the 100-300 ii on the pen-f so I guess I'm a bit backwards

The big grip with the small lens makes it so comfortable to carry while hiking - and while using the long lens I'd be holding the lens anyway so the smaller body gets less in the way for me.

P

pietroroman's gear list:pietroroman's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,905

Yes, likewise, GM1/5 and GF7 tend to be used with 12-32mm or 20mm - they all fit in a belt-mounted small case.

G80 tends to be used with 14-140mm or  8-18mm in a Lowepro 50AW top-loader. Haven't used the 12-60mm for a while.

G9 has 100-400mm attached for 99% of usage, combo fits nicely in a 55AW Lowepro top-loader.

When travelling abroad, a distant memory now , I take GF7 and G5 with 12-32/12-60/14-140/80-18 and 20mm, use belt cases for all combos (Lowepro Dashpoint 20 for 12-60/14-140).

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +9 more
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 2,023

windmillgolfer wrote:

Yes, likewise, GM1/5 and GF7 tend to be used with 12-32mm or 20mm - they all fit in a belt-mounted small case.

G80 tends to be used with 14-140mm or 8-18mm in a Lowepro 50AW top-loader. Haven't used the 12-60mm for a while.

I have the Toploader 45AW and 50AW. My experience is the 45AW is OK to house GX8 or G7 with either 14-140 or 12-60 f3.5-5.6 mounted and their hood reversed.

The Toploader 50AW can house these with the hood mounted ready to use. I use the smaller CaseLogic DCB306 for that.

But of course the 100-400 is a much bigger lens.

G9 has 100-400mm attached for 99% of usage, combo fits nicely in a 55AW Lowepro top-loader.

When travelling abroad, a distant memory now , I take GF7 and G5 with 12-32/12-60/14-140/80-18 and 20mm, use belt cases for all combos (Lowepro Dashpoint 20 for 12-60/14-140).

I have both the Lowepro Dashpoint 20 and 30: the GM5 with the kit 12-32 or a pancake prime (20 f1.7 or 14 f2.5) fits nicely in the Dashpoint 20.

But the Lowepro Dashpoint 20 is too small to house neither GM5+12-60 f3.5-5.6 nor GM5+14-140 nor GM5+42.5 f1.7. This is why I bought the Dashpoint 30, in which any of these three combos fit nicely, though I need to remove the hoods from 14-140 or 12-60: with the reversed hood it is really too tight.

Only limitation with these tiny Dashpoint bags (I have also the 10 for the pocketable Panasonic LF1) is I need to put elsewhere the spare battery, which is a must with these small bodies.

Anyway, when I go out with two bodies or spare lenses, I use cross body photo bags, for instance Kalahari Kapako K31 or Lowepro Sling III.

Tatouzou,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/70066783@N06/

Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +24 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,905
Correction Re: Lens-body combos out and about

It's a while, due to Covid, since we flew anywhere.  So, I just tried out the combos in my "Dashpoint 20", I actually have two. All fitted fine, even the 8-18mm albeit a bit too snug, BUT then I double-checked the inside label.  Oops, My Bad, doh, yup, they're Dashpoint 30s.

I've a suspicion I've called them 20s in the past.  So, apologies to all.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +9 more
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,275

dmokn wrote:

Where does the GX8 with a smaller lens fit for you?

Outdoors, where I often use the flip out LCD when in vertical mode. Recently I posted using the GX8 + 20mm:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64477765

- Richard

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
PeteGeordie Regular Member • Posts: 420

My large body is the GX9, intermediate GX80 and small the GM5.

If I'm out and about it's usually the GX9 plus whatever lens I'm planning to use.

If hiking/skiing it's the GM5 12-32 + collapsible 35-100 (maybe 20 1.7 in case I want indoor shot).

I rarely carry the 100-300 II but when I do I prefer it on the GM5!! There's enough stabilization, it balances beautifully with hand under the lens (the body is almost unnoticeable) and the weight is so much more comfortable than the lens + GX.

-- hide signature --

Pete

PeteGeordie's gear list:PeteGeordie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +6 more
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 5,290

dmokn wrote:

Isn't what everybody does, choosing the larger body to mount the larger (usually zoom) lens?  Or choosing the body and lens combination that are more compatible for the intended use case, or equivalent level of performance?  I bought the tiniest Olympus lens a few days ago, and as yet, I haven't mounted it on any of my Olympus camera (E-M5 III or E-M5), because I am enjoying so much on the Panasonic GX9. Check this out, if you want to know more and see photos.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4527050

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads