Adobe Photoshop 2021 vs Luminar 4 - Sky Replacement

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Chris Sargent
Chris Sargent Senior Member • Posts: 1,180
Adobe Photoshop 2021 vs Luminar 4 - Sky Replacement

I've started a blog page with examples of Photoshop 2021 vs Skylum Luminar 4 for sky replacement. Initial thoughts on out of the box out put is that there are fairly comparable.

Photoshop 2021 feels a little rushed out and there are a few bugs and glitches that I have tripped over in this initial test. e.g. Difficult to find the pop up window associated with the first use of Camera RAW

I plan to throw some more challenging scenes at the two applications today.

http://mostly.photos/blog/2020/10/21/skylum-luminar-4-vs-adobe-photoshop-2021-sky-replacement

-- hide signature --
 Chris Sargent's gear list:Chris Sargent's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Krish6102 Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: Adobe Photoshop 2021 vs Luminar 4 - Sky Replacement

Great Idea !

Darryl Brooks Regular Member • Posts: 390

Thanks for doing this. I've been thinking of trying the same thing, but I think you nailed it in the blog that many are already familiar with the brushes in PS. The sliders in Luminar are clunky and poorly documented. I've found that moving one a couple of clicks is sometimes too much, but other times pushing it all the way to the end is not enough. 
With PS, it is creating layers which are then easily modified.

Of course, the one that gets it perfect without having to do anything further wins. I'm not holding my breath on Luminar AI, mainly because most of the new features will be in 2.0 which they will release 'later' and we all know when later is with Skylum.

Chris Sargent
OP Chris Sargent Senior Member • Posts: 1,180

Agreed. The Feature for creating a reflection of the Replaced Sky is scheduled for 2021. I still think that is will be interesting to see Luminar AI and how easy they make processing.

I'm familiar with Photoshop and can see the advantage of the extra power that lives within the Photoshop Application.

I assume that Luminar AI will take Luminar 4 Sky Replacement to a new level. It will need to if it is to beat Photoshops feature.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Chris Sargent

I tried Photoshop 2021 on a 'tricky' scene this afternoon. Luminar 4 often struggles to replace skies when there are existing clouds that are fairly prominent.

Photoshop did a much better job and didn't produce the odd artifacts that Luminar sometimes generates. No amount of tweaking the sliders can remove all of the artifacts.

The tricky scene for sky replacement

Luminar 4 Sky Replacement - Note the odd behavior with the new sky and existing clouds. The masking has been confused.

Photoshop 2021 has done a better 'out of the box' replacement for this scene.

Photoshop Sky Replacement - 100% crop

-- hide signature --
David Mintzer Contributing Member • Posts: 821

Is there a library of other skies that can be used in Photoshop using the replacement filter.  Seems like the choices are limited.

David Mintzer's gear list:David Mintzer's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
chemist47 Regular Member • Posts: 139

They are not. You can use your own photos of skies and it works very well.

Chris Sargent

You can easily add your own. Adobe helpfully adds them to the selection options from then onwards..

-- hide signature --
Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,815

David Mintzer wrote:

Is there a library of other skies that can be used in Photoshop using the replacement filter. Seems like the choices are limited.

And the sky shots are not very high quality. When used with a high megapixel ground image some of the blue skies are quite low quality, plenty of noise.

I will only use my own sky images anyhow.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Chris Sargent wrote:

I tried Photoshop 2021 on a 'tricky' scene this afternoon. Luminar 4 often struggles to replace skies when there are existing clouds that are fairly prominent.

Photoshop did a much better job and didn't produce the odd artifacts that Luminar sometimes generates. No amount of tweaking the sliders can remove all of the artifacts.

Yeah, I found that in Luminar, if you follow the detailed and thoroughly vetted documentation that it's best to move the sliders back and forth in random directions until you stumble across the best combinations.
And you still may not get rid of all the artifacts. 
But never fear, next you grab the brush which may fix things and may make them fubar. 
Luminar reminds me of my former sky replacement software Landscape Pro. It either worked well or not at all. If it doesn't, there is no sense in trying to repair it.

photo_rb Contributing Member • Posts: 963

I've been playing with both and noticed a bit more artifacts with Luminar as well.  The big advantage with PS is that I can play with the layers and layer masks after appending the sky which I'm more familiar with working with.

I purchased some sky packs with (or shortly after buying) Luminar and I find I can import them into the PS sky replacement but so far I can only figure out how to import them one at a time.  When I try to import a group they are all grayed out.  Any suggestions?

photo_rb's gear list:photo_rb's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
dwight3
dwight3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,823

Chris Sargent wrote:

... there are a few bugs and glitches that I have tripped over in this initial test...

I found the line tool to be broken. Tried to draw an arrow but all I got was the arrowhead. Then tried just a line and got nothing. Looks like others had seen that on the Adobe community forum.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,584

Adobe does not realize a zero weight line is nothing there is no inside,  outside or center. There is just a mathematical line formula.  Instead of giving you an error message they gave you arrowheads.  If you change your stoke alignment option from Inside to center you will get your arrow shift stroke.

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Claudio Galli Contributing Member • Posts: 642

chemist47 wrote:

They are not. You can use your own photos of skies and it works very well.

Excuse me my ignorance, how can you use your own photos?

I have tried to import my skies photos, as per picture attached, but all the photos were greyed out and not selectable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Claudio

Claudio Galli's gear list:Claudio Galli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +3 more
Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,249

Chris Sargent wrote:

Luminar 4 Sky Replacement - Note the odd behavior with the new sky and existing clouds. The masking has been confused.

I'd have thought that the water was such an intense blue because it was reflecting the sky? So if you replace the sky the blue water looks kinda silly.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Chris Sargent

Graham Meale wrote:

Chris Sargent wrote:

I'd have thought that the water was such an intense blue because it was reflecting the sky? So if you replace the sky the blue water looks kinda silly.

You make a good point. This was really only an exercise in comparison. I think that the water would need some work to balance the scene.

-- hide signature --
Chris Sargent

I selected the middle icon (square with a + symbol) which opens up a window to browse images (they all appear greyed out but are still selectable) then you get to name your new sky and Adobe adds it to the mix...

-- hide signature --

Chris Sargent wrote:

I selected the middle icon (square with a + symbol) which opens up a window to browse images (they all appear greyed out but are still selectable) then you get to name your new sky and Adobe adds it to the mix...

Mine do not appear greyed out when selecting my own skies.

Chris Sargent wrote:

Very kind of you, I wouldn't be able to find it by myself !

My icons are not greyed out, but it seems that it is not important.

Many thanks again.

Claudio

Sony RX100 II Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II +3 more

Darryl Brooks wrote:

Chris Sargent wrote:

Mine do not appear greyed out when selecting my own skies.

The same for me.

Claudio

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads