Is the new 10-24mmF4 R IOS RW worth 44% more than the old?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
pgarth New Member • Posts: 1
Is the new 10-24mmF4 R IOS RW worth 44% more than the old?

In Australia, I can buy the old 10-24mmF4 R IOS for $1111. The new XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR can be pre ordered for $1599, an extra $488 or 44% more. Just about every review I have read of the old 10-24mm IOS R have all drawn attention to the fact this lens doesn't have weather resistance, no marked aperture scale on the aperture ring, and no lock the to stop accidentally changing the selected f stop. It also give 1 stop better IOS.

As I have never used the old lens, I would be interested to know if you believe the $488 premium to be worth it in the long run?

pgarth's gear list:pgarth's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D7000 Sony a6000 Fujifilm X-T3 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Bob Tullis
MOD Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 39,879
To whom?

pgarth wrote:

In Australia, I can buy the old 10-24mmF4 R IOS for $1111. The new XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR can be pre ordered for $1599, an extra $488 or 44% more. Just about every review I have read of the old 10-24mm IOS R have all drawn attention to the fact this lens doesn't have weather resistance, no marked aperture scale on the aperture ring, and no lock the to stop accidentally changing the selected f stop. It also give 1 stop better IOS.

As I have never used the old lens, I would be interested to know if you believe the $488 premium to be worth it in the long run?

I'd suggest waiting on the release of the v2 of the lens, and read all the new reviews that compare the two.   YOU decide whether the difference is worthwhile.

That's what I'm doing.  I have the original, not thinking about getting v2.   Yet I'm looking forward to seeing how they compare once out and put to use (I can be tempted).

-- hide signature --

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."
------ Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
@ bobtullis.com & flickr.com/photos/bobtullis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration.

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T4
Craig268
Craig268 Senior Member • Posts: 1,441
Re: Is the new 10-24mmF4 R IOS RW worth 44% more than the old?

pgarth wrote:

Or stated another way, will your photography improve by 44%? It's like buying a new car or new tv costing 44% more to replace what you had.

I've been using the current version of the 10-24. It's a magnificent lens and there's no way I'd trade up because the new and improved version won't improve anything for me over the first version by 44%.

Similar logic applies to the new 50 f/1 versus the 56 f/1.2 lens.

Older gear has its quirks but the latest and greatest new gear isn't always beneficial if you're functioning completely well with what was state-of-the-art a couple of years ago.

Craig268's gear list:Craig268's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +10 more
SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Contributing Member • Posts: 888

With all respect, no one here can answer this question but you. We don't know your financial status. For some of us, $488 might be pocket change, for others it's a significant amount.

All what I can say is, there are definitely people here who are eagerly waiting for this lens, and to them it's worth the extra 44%.

Many others who already have the old one are basically waiting to read some reviews before putting in a pre-order.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | Fujifilm X100V | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,355

Hi, as a satisfied user of the current model the replies about whether the additional features and whether you will see a 44% improvement in your images are pretty objective.

I think it boils down to whether there will be an improvement in image quality, and from what I have read the answer is likely to be no as the same optics are used (there was one source saying that the coatings may have changed), or whether the new features such as weather resistance will help in the environments in which you use it.

I would also see both a drop in the new price of the current model as retailers restock with the new model and some great deals on second hand copies, it may be worth waiting.

Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +6 more
Terry Reis
Terry Reis Regular Member • Posts: 112

I am a big fan of the new lens, as its imminent release enabled me to pick up a brand new copy of the older one at a bargain price.

Sorry couldn't resist.

-- hide signature --
 Terry Reis's gear list:Terry Reis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +12 more
21William Contributing Member • Posts: 526

Much depends exactly what the differences are and whether it effects image quality. If all goes well future tests (if anyone does them) will show the new lens is a least equal to the lens it replaced or hopefully a bit better. As the old lens is generally regarded as very good that remains to be seen though. I’ve taken many thousands of photos on cameras without any form of weather sealing. Would this feature now temp me to go out and take pictures in the pouring rain? No, after 50 years I still don't want to get wet taking pictures. Now, if I lived in a country like Bahrain that would be a different matter. 

21William's gear list:21William's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 403

pgarth wrote:

That money goes, primarily, towards the User Experience of the lens. You have to decide how much you enjoy the marked aperture ring, and not covering the camera in a raincoat when shooting in challenging conditions.

As others have said – and as I will do, too – let's wait and see what it looks like in the hands of reviewers. I bet by 2021 we'll have one hundred comparison videos.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,604

I think the old one will drop further once people upgrade...

I'm considering swapping my 14mm for the 10-24... I know the 14 is a better lens... but the versatility and OIS could help me... I never bring a tripod, so 10-24 technically better in low light like sunrise or sunset shots when stopped down.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
elfroggio
elfroggio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,095

pgarth wrote:

Definitely YES.

I'm looking to buy one, the v1. I hope to find some used v1, in excellent condition, at reasonable prices

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.sritch.com
The Dogs of Vancouver, BC

RogueOne Regular Member • Posts: 138

For me, it isn't worth the cost.  Although I do wish my current 10-24 had a marked aperture ring, that's really just a minor preference.  I don't normally shoot in adverse conditions so the WR isn't necessary for my style.  The optics haven't changed from what I've read, so it would basically not be any improvement for me except the plus of the aperture ring.

RogueOne's gear list:RogueOne's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +5 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,021

For some yes, for others no.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Gaber
Gaber Veteran Member • Posts: 6,182

I have the old lens and find it wonderful and you can also add me to the list of people who don't like going out in the rain to shoot, however, a few years ago my wife and I traveled to Ireland for 2 weeks and every day was off and on rain so I always had to scramble to protect my camera and lens, sometimes at a moments notice. I can see the value of having a WR set-up for my trips, or at home, even if it's just a few lenses for certain instances where I have no alternative. Great peace of mind.

-- hide signature --
 Gaber's gear list:Gaber's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Nikon Coolpix 4500 Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +13 more
noorhe Junior Member • Posts: 36

It also depends on whether you will be doing video. I believe the new lens has been designed keeping in mind the videographers and will be more video friendly. X Summit mentioned that it will be good for video (something to that effect).

JohnS59 Regular Member • Posts: 441

pgarth wrote:

The aperture scale and the better IOS is something to consider and you get what you see. WR resistance doesn't hurt of course but is may be a little bit overrated. First, few people actually use the lens in bad weather of dusty environments. Second, if this is the case, WR doesn't probably give the protection you need. Look at the warranty conditions and you know what I mean.

I have no indication that the image quality will improved too. The current one seems to be just fine as many have reported.

JohnS59's gear list:JohnS59's gear list
Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +7 more
A_Mist
A_Mist Regular Member • Posts: 460

Craig268 wrote:

pgarth wrote:

Or stated another way, will your photography improve by 44%? It's like buying a new car or new tv costing 44% more to replace what you had.

I've been using the current version of the 10-24. It's a magnificent lens and there's no way I'd trade up because the new and improved version won't improve anything for me over the first version by 44%.

Similar logic applies to the new 50 f/1 versus the 56 f/1.2 lens.

Older gear has its quirks but the latest and greatest new gear isn't always beneficial if you're functioning completely well with what was state-of-the-art a couple of years ago.

For some, WR alone is easily worth the extra price.

Similar logic applies with new 50/f1 vs 56/f1.2.

A_Mist's gear list:A_Mist's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T4 Olympus E-M1 III Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +8 more
Bolothegreat Contributing Member • Posts: 531

pgarth wrote:

Unless you need WR just go with the old one...you can pick up a used one for even cheaper, it's price will drop even more in the coming months...I got all my fuji lenses used & no issues.

If you want WR & the other features it's still best to wait a bit for reviews & also buy it on sale...so the key is patience lol.

Bolothegreat's gear list:Bolothegreat's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +8 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

I would be happy with either lens.

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
WDeranged Regular Member • Posts: 119

From what I'm hearing image quality will be the same.  OIS is slightly improved but it barely matters when you're shooting this wide.  So it seems that the biggest difference will be weather sealing and the marked aperture ring.  There doesn't seem to be much in it to me.

Still, I'll be interested to read the reviews when it's released.

Pennyfan
Pennyfan Contributing Member • Posts: 583

pgarth wrote:

I think the increased features worth, but prob not pre-order price. Wait for half a year or so for the next flash sale / Fuji rebate.

Pennyfan's gear list:Pennyfan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Venus Laowa 9mm F2.8 Venus Laowa 65mm F2.8 Macro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads