GM5 & L.100 question

Started 3 months ago | Questions
kodachromed Junior Member • Posts: 28
GM5 & L.100 question

The base ISO on my GM5 is 200 but I can enable the extended ISO L.100 in the menu. I use this in bright light when I want to keep using the mechanical shutter which only goes to 1/500.

I notice Panasonic isn't alone in making the extended ISO something you have to enable. So it made me wonder if there is some kind of penalty, for example to DR, when you use the extended ISO.  If the base ISO is 200 then what is the camera actually doing when you enable the extended ISO?

kodachromed's gear list:kodachromed's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-H1
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pannumon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,119
Re: GM5 & L.100 question

kodachromed wrote:

The base ISO on my GM5 is 200 but I can enable the extended ISO L.100 in the menu. I use this in bright light when I want to keep using the mechanical shutter which only goes to 1/500.

I notice Panasonic isn't alone in making the extended ISO something you have to enable. So it made me wonder if there is some kind of penalty, for example to DR, when you use the extended ISO. If the base ISO is 200 then what is the camera actually doing when you enable the extended ISO?

A short answer for the time being:

This has been argued quite a bit in the past, and my conclusion from that is that there are not much benefits (compared to ISO 200), but not much penalties, either. My understanding is that it mainly gives some flexibility with the shutter speeds.

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +18 more
jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 1,598

kodachromed wrote:

I notice Panasonic isn't alone in making the extended ISO something you have to enable. So it made me wonder if there is some kind of penalty, for example to DR, when you use the extended ISO. If the base ISO is 200 then what is the camera actually doing when you enable the extended ISO?

If its like the GX-8 then it may actually be the true base iso.  I know I prefer the look of iso 100 on the GX-8 so I leave it there, or put it into Auto ISO.

I would take pictures at both iso's and compare, and ignore the extended designation if you like the results at iso 100.

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +8 more
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,490

kodachromed wrote:

When you enable L.100, you expose by +1ev over ISO 200. If you're shooting jpeg, the brightness is reduced to compensate. The penalty is you're more likely to get blown highlights.

If you're shooting raw, and careful about highlights, and are prepared to fix the exposure in post, L.100 could give you a better result.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Chris Noble
Chris Noble Veteran Member • Posts: 3,566
Extended ISO

kodachromed wrote:

Extended ISO settings are digitally boosted (at the top) or attenuated (at the bottom). There is a slight SNR penalty, which is why you have to enable them. SNR purists avoid them.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads