35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
SteveinLouisville
SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 338
35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure
3

Fooling around with the RP and the RF 35mm 1.8 in a our dark library.  Window light from a grey sky, plus a small lamp.  I shot this in M mode, 1 sec and f6.3 @ ISO 1600.

Full frame and a tight crop to show detail captured with these settings.  Not perfect, certainly, but, turn on a few more lights to brighten the room and I don't see why I would want to use a flash.

Image Stabilization is the real deal with this lens, that's for sure.

35mm 1.8 IS, full frame

35mm 1.8, crop

txsizzler
txsizzler Senior Member • Posts: 1,756
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

Looks great, especially considering it's a one second hand-held exposure!

 txsizzler's gear list:txsizzler's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot S50 Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S95 +11 more
SteveinLouisville
OP SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure
3

txsizzler wrote:

Looks great, especially considering it's a one second hand-held exposure!

I know! One FULL second, handheld and I got this.  I was simply astounded.  IS, particularly with normal to wide angle lenses is terrific.  A must even.

Tmjc Regular Member • Posts: 288
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

Any reason why you shot this at f6.3? seems a bit odd, you could have dropped the iso by a few stops.

 Tmjc's gear list:Tmjc's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II +1 more
rmexpress22 Senior Member • Posts: 1,489
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure
1

To shoot at 1 second. To get more dof. Just because.

 rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Canon PowerShot G16 +15 more
SteveinLouisville
OP SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

Tmjc wrote:

Any reason why you shot this at f6.3? seems a bit odd, you could have dropped the iso by a few stops.

It was an experiment.  I shot at several apertures, 5.6. 4.0, 7.1, and set the camera to various ISO values.  800, 3200, 6400.  I took a couple at ISO 250.

In manual mode, I had the ISO set and played with apertures and then moved the shutter speed around.  I wanted to see what this would all look like through the EVF, and see what the exposure scale in the viewfinder would look like.  It was jumping around to +1 to -2 most of the time.  Mostly, I relied on the simulated exposure shown in the EVF or LCD.  For this shot, I used the LCD, and used the touch shutter on the LCD to take the shot.  Touch the spot I wanted to be the focus point and the shutter would trigger. It was a lot of fun!  Pushing the camera around is a great way to find out its capabilities and limitations.  Just because the lens can shoot at 1.8, doesn't mean you have to, particularly with Image Stabilization.

SteveinLouisville
OP SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

rmexpress22 wrote:

To shoot at 1 second. To get more dof. Just because.

Correct!

peterpet Regular Member • Posts: 290
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Fooling around with the RP and the RF 35mm 1.8 in a our dark library. Window light from a grey sky, plus a small lamp. I shot this in M mode, 1 sec and f6.3 @ ISO 1600.

Full frame and a tight crop to show detail captured with these settings. Not perfect, certainly, but, turn on a few more lights to brighten the room and I don't see why I would want to use a flash.

Image Stabilization is the real deal with this lens, that's for sure.

Hi Steven,

Nice house, nice shoot, and nice hands too..
i would never able to shoot it one sec handheld, even with R5 which combine IS and IBIS..

The Canon's claim 5 stop IS has proven

Have a nice day,
Peter

 peterpet's gear list:peterpet's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
Joe Reynolds
Joe Reynolds Regular Member • Posts: 162
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

Touch shutter, handheld at 1 second? Did you have arm suport?

SteveinLouisville
OP SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

Joe Reynolds wrote:

Touch shutter, handheld at 1 second? Did you have arm suport?

I was sitting in a recliner in the library. Camera was in my right hand, right elbow on the arm of the recliner. Left hand used to touch the screen to fire the shutter.

MutantLabs Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

I took this photo with a R6 and the 24-105/7.1 kit lens at 28mm/F22 with 1 sec exposure to get some blur on the waterfall under the pillars. Handheld, standing. It took me 2-3 shots to get it sharp, but it works.

The picture has been taken just to test the IS/IBIS combo on the water, nothing else.

 MutantLabs's gear list:MutantLabs's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon 6D Mark II +10 more
SteveinLouisville
OP SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

MutantLabs wrote:

I took this photo with a R6 and the 24-105/7.1 kit lens at 28mm/F22 with 1 sec exposure to get some blur on the waterfall under the pillars. Handheld, standing. It took me 2-3 shots to get it sharp, but it works.

The picture has been taken just to test the IS/IBIS combo on the water, nothing else.

That's pretty cool!  I might try this with my EF 24-105 f4.0 L.  There is a creek near where I live with a small waterfall/rapids that should be pretty active right now, since it's been raining a lot here.  Maybe even get out my old monopod, if I can find it.

SteveinLouisville
OP SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 338
40mm in P mode, results in the same poor light

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Fooling around with the RP and the RF 35mm 1.8 in a our dark library. Window light from a grey sky, plus a small lamp. I shot this in M mode, 1 sec and f6.3 @ ISO 1600.

Full frame and a tight crop to show detail captured with these settings. Not perfect, certainly, but, turn on a few more lights to brighten the room and I don't see why I would want to use a flash.

Image Stabilization is the real deal with this lens, that's for sure.

35mm 1.8 IS, full frame

35mm 1.8, crop

I shot this with a 40mm pancake, just in P mode.  I let the camera decide on the settings.  It chose ISO 32000.  Extremely noisy of course, and I was going to just delete it, but with 100% noise filtration (!) I ended up with what looks like a painting of our library.  The toilet paper roll gives it that special flair!

MutantLabs Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Maybe even get out my old monopod, if I can find it.

I wonder how far you can go with a monopod!

And sorry, I thought the subject of this thread was the stabilization potential of IBIS and IS combined, but I missed the fact that the OP has an EOS RP.

 MutantLabs's gear list:MutantLabs's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon 6D Mark II +10 more
SteveinLouisville
OP SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

MutantLabs wrote:

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Maybe even get out my old monopod, if I can find it.

I wonder how far you can go with a monopod!

And sorry, I thought the subject of this thread was the stabilization potential of IBIS and IS combined, but I missed the fact that the OP has an EOS RP.

It is more about the lens than the camera, though the camera lacks IBIS, so there is that.  If you have an R-5/R-6, I would think your results would be better than mine.

SteveinLouisville
OP SteveinLouisville Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: 35mm 1.8 @ ISO 1600, one second exposure

peterpet wrote:

SteveinLouisville wrote:

Fooling around with the RP and the RF 35mm 1.8 in a our dark library. Window light from a grey sky, plus a small lamp. I shot this in M mode, 1 sec and f6.3 @ ISO 1600.

Full frame and a tight crop to show detail captured with these settings. Not perfect, certainly, but, turn on a few more lights to brighten the room and I don't see why I would want to use a flash.

Image Stabilization is the real deal with this lens, that's for sure.

Hi Steven,

Nice house, nice shoot, and nice hands too..
i would never able to shoot it one sec handheld, even with R5 which combine IS and IBIS..

The Canon's claim 5 stop IS has proven

Have a nice day,
Peter

5 stops with this lens is no exaggeration.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads