Green images from SVBONY 305 video cam

Started 3 months ago | Questions
DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 2,535
Green images from SVBONY 305 video cam

Amazon had this item for $120 so I am giving it a try. After fiddling around a bit with it I was able to take videos of both the Moon and Mars last night.

But they are green.

Googling this, I see blogs from Svbony saying, "This is normal, Just adjust your white balance". But in the SharpCap application I don't see any way to do that.

Can anyone provide help with this? The 'manual' ( a one page sheet) is pretty useless.

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Lyle Aldridge Senior Member • Posts: 1,164
Re: Green images from SVBONY 305 video cam

DavidWright2010 wrote:

Amazon had this item for $120 so I am giving it a try. After fiddling around a bit with it I was able to take videos of both the Moon and Mars last night.

But they are green.

Googling this, I see blogs from Svbony saying, "This is normal, Just adjust your white balance". But in the SharpCap application I don't see any way to do that.

Can anyone provide help with this? The 'manual' ( a one page sheet) is pretty useless.

David

David, I might be misinterpreting the Sharpcap documentation,but I think the control of color balance in Sharpcap depends on the driver for your particular camera. That is, if the driver for your camera includes color balance adjustment, then controls for that are loaded in addition to the basic gamma, contrast and brightness sliders. So if you can't find a color balance adjustment, it may just mean that your camera's driver doesn't include that function. (See discussion of "Camera Specific Controls" starting about 1/3 of the way down this page.)

If that's the case, you'll probably have to use other processing software to make the adjustment. Here, for example, is a quick adjustment of your image using the "Curves" adjustment function of GIMP. I began by pulling the high end of the Green curve down. This had the effect of giving the image a yellow tint, which I counteracted with an upward pull of the Blue curve. That produced a fairly neutral image on my monitor, but as I now view what's been loaded, it looks like it got a little greener from whatever dpreview does to our uploads.

If you want more definite info about whether or how you can do this in Sharpcap, you might try posting on the forum of the Sharpcap website. Robin, the developer, has seemed quite diligent about monitoring the forum and providing assistance in the past.

OP DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 2,535
Re: Green images from SVBONY 305 video cam

Lyle Aldridge wrote:

DavidWright2010 wrote:

But they are green.

David

David, I might be misinterpreting the Sharpcap documentation,but I think the control of color balance in Sharpcap depends on the driver for your particular camera. That is, if the driver for your camera includes color balance adjustment, then controls for that are loaded in addition to the basic gamma, contrast and brightness sliders. So if you can't find a color balance adjustment, it may just mean that your camera's driver doesn't include that function. (See discussion of "Camera Specific Controls" starting about 1/3 of the way down this page.)

If that's the case, you'll probably have to use other processing software to make the adjustment. Here, for example, is a quick adjustment of your image using the "Curves" adjustment function of GIMP. I began by pulling the high end of the Green curve down. This had the effect of giving the image a yellow tint, which I counteracted with an upward pull of the Blue curve. That produced a fairly neutral image on my monitor, but as I now view what's been loaded, it looks like it got a little greener from whatever dpreview does to our uploads.

If you want more definite info about whether or how you can do this in Sharpcap, you might try posting on the forum of the Sharpcap website. Robin, the developer, has seemed quite diligent about monitoring the forum and providing assistance in the past.

Thanks, I will try that forum. I fiddled more just now and found the white balance controls. They kind of sort of work, but the odd thing is that OOF features are green even when the WB looks sort of ok.

This is my neighbor's street number sign, about 30 yards away. It sits above the stucco surface maybe 1/2 inch. Black numbers on white background.

So even tho the stucco is reasonably sharp, it's green instead of beige.

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads