looking for a lens bag that may not exist ???

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
TITCHY Senior Member • Posts: 1,323
looking for a lens bag that may not exist ???

Hi , sorry for the somewhat cryptic title, I will explain as best I can , I like to travel light , usually 1 camera 2-3 lenses , I have a rather unique problem ,I have a spinal deformation (90 degree Hemi) as a consequence I am unable to carry a backpack, they are simply not designed for people of my shape,  I am looking for something that can hold 2 lenses  and maybe a couple of small accessories , most of the shoulder bags I have seen look rather rigid , and almost always designed around holding everything including a camera, I do not travel so far as I used to , and in most cases would have the camera and one lens around my neck ,so only require a lens only back for a couple of lenses ,the biggest being the 70-200 S , anyone seen anything that may work , I am getting spots before my eyes from hours of looking for one . maybe I am using the wrong criteria for searching ???

I do not expect anyone to find one ,but if you have read thus far , thanks anyway.

Graham

TITCHY's gear list:TITCHY's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +61 more
msu79gt82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,246
Re: looking for a lens bag that may not exist ???

Will a Sling bag work (i.e. crossways - shoulder to opposite side)?

msu79gt82's gear list:msu79gt82's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
OP TITCHY Senior Member • Posts: 1,323

Thanks, I did try a Lowpro slingshot pro a long time ago, but that was way too big for my current needs , are there any small sling types around ?

Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +61 more
lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

Did you take a look at the ThinkTank Retrospective series? The 7 would take the 70-200 with ease, but I think even the 5 may work for you as the flap can be velcroed down in different positions.

These bags are pretty agnostic as far as lens vs body goes, so they should work well for carrying just a few lenses. Personally, I have a 4, but that one may be a bit too small.

As far as small sling bags go, Tamrac used to make small versions in its Velocity series, but the newer 7 and 8 are the only options they have now and IMO not as ideal for you.  Maybe you can find a used older one, though.

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro +27 more
JNo Regular Member • Posts: 342
msu79gt82 Senior Member • Posts: 1,246
Re: Peak Design Sling 6L (or 3L)

TITCHY wrote:

Thanks, I did try a Lowpro slingshot pro a long time ago, but that was way too big for my current needs , are there any small sling types around ?

I really like the Peak Design Sling 6L (also consider the smaller 3L). The 10L is probably bigger than you want.

See JNo link below.

msu79gt82's gear list:msu79gt82's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 2,088

Have you considered a lens pouch that can be mounted on a belt, like Think Tank's modular belt system? That should put much less stress on your spine than a shoulder bag.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Nikon Z7 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +31 more
Hippo Graius Regular Member • Posts: 114

Fazal Majid wrote:

Have you considered a lens pouch that can be mounted on a belt, like Think Tank's modular belt system? That should put much less stress on your spine than a shoulder bag.

my own arthritic lower back with darn slippy disks (just emerging from my annual three-week floor crawl these days) made me switch to the think tank belt system a few years ago--it was literally this or no photo... today, i could not second this recommendation more enthusiastically: do try the belt! i hike 30 klicks a day, rough terrain, carrying water, large dslr, up to five lenses--zero load on the back, great balance, great access, great breathing...

best of luck with your search! it does exist, you'll find it

curiousmike1300
curiousmike1300 Contributing Member • Posts: 944
Think Tank Speed Freak

While the Speed Freak does hold a camera, you might consider it because of its ability to (a) be a shoulder bag but also (b) has a built in hip / fanny pouch option (that completely hidesaway if you don't want it.)

TITCHY wrote:

Hi , sorry for the somewhat cryptic title, I will explain as best I can , I like to travel light , usually 1 camera 2-3 lenses , I have a rather unique problem ,I have a spinal deformation (90 degree Hemi) as a consequence I am unable to carry a backpack, they are simply not designed for people of my shape, I am looking for something that can hold 2 lenses and maybe a couple of small accessories , most of the shoulder bags I have seen look rather rigid , and almost always designed around holding everything including a camera, I do not travel so far as I used to , and in most cases would have the camera and one lens around my neck ,so only require a lens only back for a couple of lenses ,the biggest being the 70-200 S , anyone seen anything that may work , I am getting spots before my eyes from hours of looking for one . maybe I am using the wrong criteria for searching ???

I do not expect anyone to find one ,but if you have read thus far , thanks anyway.

Graham

curiousmike1300's gear list:curiousmike1300's gear list
Panasonic G85 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +12 more
Re: Think Tank Speed Freak

Thanks everyone, that's a lot to be looking at , I am sure there are a couple of good candidates there, really appreciate your help , I shall be looking at those candidates and checking the measurements before biting the bullet. thanks again , Graham

beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 7,435

TITCHY wrote:

Hi , sorry for the somewhat cryptic title, I will explain as best I can , I like to travel light , usually 1 camera 2-3 lenses , I have a rather unique problem ,I have a spinal deformation (90 degree Hemi) as a consequence I am unable to carry a backpack, they are simply not designed for people of my shape, I am looking for something that can hold 2 lenses and maybe a couple of small accessories , most of the shoulder bags I have seen look rather rigid , and almost always designed around holding everything including a camera, I do not travel so far as I used to , and in most cases would have the camera and one lens around my neck ,so only require a lens only back for a couple of lenses ,the biggest being the 70-200 S , anyone seen anything that may work , I am getting spots before my eyes from hours of looking for one . maybe I am using the wrong criteria for searching ???

Graham

Check out the Lowepro lp37159

travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,080

I have and enjoy two different messenger type bags. One is the Peak Design sling, which may suit your needs:

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-sling/?variant=29742302068780

I have the 6L, but perhaps you would only want the 3L?

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +9 more
What Me Worry Junior Member • Posts: 35

I am very happy with my Think Tank Retrospective 7 and Retrospective 30 bags. Got them both during Think Tank’s 20% off sale this past April and June. With the holiday shopping season approaching I imagine you will see the 20% sale again. After studying many different bags I relied on several YouTube videos showing these bags to make my decision. Hope this helps you.

Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,078

Would a top loader bag work for you? Most have a way of attaching a lens pouch on either side. These come in a variety of sizes, as well as the bag itself. Get the bag that is sized to carry the camera and lens you would typically carry on the camera. Then, a pouch, or pouches for another lens or two you might want. This approach is very adaptable for the shooting situation you plan.

Top loader bags nearly always have a pouch on the front for extra batteries, cards, cleaning cloths, etc. Just about every bag manufacturer has multiple models. Pick what works.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Straz Regular Member • Posts: 246

Peak Designs may have a couple of good options for you.

One is their Capture Clip. It fastens to either a belt or to their camera bags, to easily hold a camera and its current lens securely.

The other is their Everyday Sling 10L camera bag, designed to hang from one shoulder, and hold either 3 lenses or 2 plus a camera. (There are also 2 smaller options: a 3L and a 6L version.)

I have and like both the Capture Clip and 10L, although I'm now outgrowing the 10L and wanting something bigger, which is the opposite of what you want.

Straz's gear list:Straz's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +4 more
G Pik Regular Member • Posts: 410

I use a Tamrac shoulder bag Apache 4 for walkabout. Takes a 70-200 s vertically, padded, soft, flexible and comfortable.

-- hide signature --
 G Pik's gear list:G Pik's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +8 more

thanks everyone, I have decided to give the Think Tank belt system a try , the idea of having the weight on my hips is desirable from my point of view, I will let you all know how It works out or not after I have had the chance to use them for a week or two.

thanks again , everyone has been most helpful .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads