New Lightroom and Photoshop released today

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 4,404
PS Sky replacement

The Sky Replacement feature in PS offers a lot of adjustment capabilities. Here is a sample of a simple replacement

Each item I changed is a separate layer so very easy to customize to taste.

The sky selection is automatic and works even when a small portion of the sky is visible - unlike Luminar.

Sky was uniform dull grey and the above adjustment resulted in

Neither the base image or the adjustment are what I would work with but I include them to give some sense of how the sky replacement works.

Here are the sky replacement options:

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Z6 Nikon D7200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D70 +25 more
Darryl Brooks Regular Member • Posts: 399
Re: PS Sky replacement

I just tried a quick replacement. It was perfect, but it was close. I assume I could easily adjust the mask. This couldn't come at a better time with the train wreck over at Skylum.

EchoFree Forum Member • Posts: 80

Darryl Brooks wrote:

I just tried a quick replacement. It was perfect, but it was close. I assume I could easily adjust the mask. This couldn't come at a better time with the train wreck over at Skylum.

I fiddled with Adobe sky replacement for about 20 minutes and it seemed to work really well. I have never tried Skylum, but I am really excited to use this new feature from Adobe when needed.

While I endeavor to take shots where the scene and sky are both nice, there are many instances where I’m travel and the scene is amazing but the sky is rubbish. This will help that, though I wouldn’t feel right passing them off as authentic travel or editorial shots.

-- hide signature --

C&C welcome, but please don't download my images unless specifically stated.

OP Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,763

EchoFree wrote:

While I endeavor to take shots where the scene and sky are both nice, there are many instances where I’m travel and the scene is amazing but the sky is rubbish. This will help that, though I wouldn’t feel right passing them off as authentic travel or editorial shots.

I know what you mean. But for the most part these days I take shots and process them "for me". I really don't care a lot what others think, as long as I like them.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 4,404
Interesting PS beta neural filters

The ones marked beta must be downloaded although one processes in the cloud. For the others Adobe is asking if there is an interest

edispics's gear list:edispics's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Z6 Nikon D7200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D70 +25 more
Babine Veteran Member • Posts: 7,838
Not yet. :^(

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6JYMvPz6Z8

I have just downloaded them, and will start playing with them soon.

I can't get the newest version here in Canada. Tried Adobe Creative Cloud and through PS21.2.4 itself. Weird.

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek\
I read that 4,153,237 people were married last year. Not to cause any trouble.... but shouldn’t that be an even number?

gordonpritchard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,726
Re: Not yet. :^(

Babine wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Take a look.

I can't get the newest version here in Canada. Tried Adobe Creative Cloud and through PS21.2.4 itself. Weird.

Worked here in BC. Make sure you have the required hardware and OS

-- hide signature --

———————————————————————------
"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
———————————————————————------
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony a77 II Sony SLT-A57 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 22,281

Babine wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Take a look.

Try logging out of your Adobe Account and log in again.

-- hide signature --

Another one bites the dust. I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more

gordonpritchard wrote:

Babine wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Take a look.

Worked here in BC. Make sure you have the required hardware and OS

All is good with the hardware and OS. It's a first for me (here in BC too) ... I'll check further. Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
I read that 4,153,237 people were married last year. Not to cause any trouble.... but shouldn’t that be an even number?

Zeee wrote:

Babine wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Take a look.

Try logging out of your Adobe Account and log in again.

That did the trick. All up-to-date. Thanks for your reply. Appreciated!

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary

EchoFree Forum Member • Posts: 80
Re: New Lightroom and Photoshop released today

Here is a sample using one of the Adobe preset sky images and my own image. Note that I've made adjustments to the foreground that didn't all seem to get synched to photoshop, but they are not relevant.

original.

with Sky Replacement

I don't know if I like they sky with the above image, but I think the software did a good job.

:

-- hide signature --

C&C welcome, but please don't download my images unless specifically stated.

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,958

What seems impressive is selecting the "sky" when there is no clear boundary:

Original

Sky replaced

No touching up, just "Edit -> Sky replacement..." at default settings.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,126

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Jestertheclown wrote:

Update on the erm, update.

Occasionally, PS can't save my finished images. It gets to 0% and freezes.

Also, the "press and hold spacebar and drag to move" tool doesn't work.

I think I'll revert to the old version for the time being; the advantages don't yet out weigh the advantages.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

What OS are you running?

I just saw this

• The minimum Windows 10 supported is v1903 or later. Windows 7 and Windows 10 v1803 or v1809 are no longer supported.
  • The minimum macOS now supported is 10.14 (Mojave) - 10.13 (High Sierra) is no longer supported.

Thanks Jim,

I'm using Windows 10, fully up to date.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled v.22 a few times and for some reason, it now opens images as it should and I can close it down properly.

The space bar/move thing still doesn't work but I can live with that.

It's been suggested that my aging graphics card might have been to blame for the crop overlay issues that I was having (they occurred with every iteration of v.21  but mysteriously disappeared in v.22).

I haven't changed it yet those issues aren't present in the new version (?)

I have found though, that if I switch the graphics processor on, Photoshop crashes,

I'm not about to spend bundles on a new graphics card: I'd sooner buy a new computer and since I'm actually quite happy with this one, I think I'll put up with it.

Jestertheclown
Re: I don't understand this after the Adobe update today

maccam wrote:

Now I have 2 versions of Photoshop and 2 versions of Bridge.

JAW

When you installed the new one, you needed to check (or otherwise) a box marked "do not remove old installation." Or words to that effect.

I've still got two versions on here, purely because experience has taught me that new versions of Photoshop can be hopelessly unreliable.

if you don't want bot, simply unistal one.

Chris Sargent
Chris Sargent Senior Member • Posts: 1,180

I'm finding it a bit buggy.. like it was rushed out. I also was surprised with some of these features as they feel like a dumbing down of the application IMO

-- hide signature --
 Chris Sargent's gear list:Chris Sargent's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more

Chris Sargent wrote:

I'm finding it a bit buggy.. like it was rushed out. I also was surprised with some of these features as they feel like a dumbing down of the application IMO

If Adobe doesn't do anything they get accused of being billionaires sitting around doing nothing and raking in the cash. When they add features they get dumped on as well 

-- hide signature --

Another one bites the dust. I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more

Chris Sargent wrote:

I'm finding it a bit buggy.. like it was rushed out.

Which package are you finding buggy? And what OS?

And what are the bugs? Maybe the rest of us could check them out and see if it is the software, or perhaps a result of a specific hardware setup you have.

I also was surprised with some of these features as they feel like a dumbing down of the application IMO

IMO, for PS they are trying to expand the market to more non experts, as well as counter some competitive threats.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Chris Sargent wrote:

And what are the bugs? Maybe the rest of us could check them out and see if it is the software, or perhaps a result of a specific hardware setup you have.

I also was surprised with some of these features as they feel like a dumbing down of the application IMO

IMO, for PS they are trying to expand the market to more non experts, as well as counter some competitive threats.

This is true. PS/LR were once basic editors where you had to most of the editing yourself. Adobe Standard was flat by design. You were supposed to tweak or import/create custom colour profiles. Now between ISO Adaptive Presets and Auto (Sensei) I can develop a decent usable file in one second if I want to.

Competition benefits us all. All companies compete so you buy their products. I'm still convinced Adobe created the new profiles - Adobe Colour, etc  because of a video C1 Pro  put out saying how much better their product looked "out of the box". Default sharpening also went from 30 to 40.

This is great. Keep it coming. Keep the pressure on. It benefits me and everyone else. I may not use all of the new features but I use the ones I need.

-- hide signature --

Jestertheclown

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Chris Sargent wrote:

I doubt that it was rushed out but I have to agree in that I had several issues, which could well be described as 'buggy,' when I initially installed it.

After three instal/remove/reinstals, most of the problems have magically disappeared but I still can't use the spacebar/hand combination to move the image on the screen.

Windows 10; fully up to date.

Again, I can agree that the sky replacement thing does seem a bit 'kiddyish.'

IMO, for PS they are trying to expand the market to more non experts,

I take your point and the simple nature of the sky replacement (provided you don't delve into its masking properties) might appeal to some snapshooters but overall, the software's becoming ever more complex in many other ways and that won't appeal.

as well as counter some competitive threats.

I guess by that that you're referring to Luminar, which, for all its faults, allows you to replace skies in a way that's on a par with the results that can be achieved, in my so far, limited experience, with Photoshop at a fraction of the price.

-- hide signature --

Jestertheclown wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

as well as counter some competitive threats.

I guess by that that you're referring to Luminar, which, for all its faults, allows you to replace skies in a way that's on a par with the results that can be achieved, in my so far, limited experience, with Photoshop at a fraction of the price.

I have a difficult photo I will test with the new PS. Luminar had trouble with it, as did Topaz Mask AI which I use as a plug in to PS.

Re price - I view Photoshop as almost free, since I subscribe to Lightroom Classic where I do most of my editing.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Canon EOS 90D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads