Advice on 50mm focal length, possibly with close focus

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
al404
al404 Regular Member • Posts: 295
Advice on 50mm focal length, possibly with close focus

I have the FE 50mm f1.8 and since is now active Sony cashback I decide to pull the trigger on Zeiss 55mm f1.8 I'm not a big fan of huge lens and f1.8 seems the sweat spot for me

I like the lens the only thing I don't like about this lens is minimum focus distance

Since I can still return it I was wondering if I can find a better option with similar size and weight but most important IQ

If I have to step up I think in size I think I would prefer to go for Tamron 28-75 but is f 2.8 and I'm not sure is I could really see the difference in out focus area but I guess the answer is YES since 50mm is not a long focal length

-- hide signature --
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
Re: Advice on 50mm focal length, possibly with close focus

Did you consider compact FE 50mm f2.8 macro?

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +1 more
Nokiron
Nokiron Regular Member • Posts: 390

There are not many lenses that has a short MFD with that focal range. 45cm is pretty much the norm in the system, the 55 is 50cm for example.

So, either the macro lens mentioned above or the Sigma 45 2.8. It has an MFD of 24cm.

Nokiron's gear list:Nokiron's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +10 more
al404
OP al404 Regular Member • Posts: 295

actually not, do you think it has a better IQ than Tamron 28-75?

I actually use M4/5 for real macro but it can be useful a macro lens also on Sony

-- hide signature --

al404 wrote:

actually not, do you think it has a better IQ than Tamron 28-75?

Didn't see direct comparison online. I would expect that prime is a winner in IQ, but with today's very good zooms probably not so much difference there. The main difference is in how close can you go with true macro on 50mm and also how much smaller is in comparison with Tamron.

I actually use M4/5 for real macro but it can be useful a macro lens also on Sony

-- hide signature --
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +1 more
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,475
Another vote for FE 2.8/50 Macro

I had the Zeiss 55mm f1.8 until Sony released the FE 2.8/50 Macro, which has been my "normal" lens going on 5 years now.

It is wonderful for many situations, and so convenient to have macro capability at hand.

Dr_Love
Dr_Love Contributing Member • Posts: 928

I have the 55/1.8 Zeiss. All you need for macro is a small extension tube with contacts and you have a macro lens with af. Works just fine for me.

Dr_Love's gear list:Dr_Love's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +8 more
al404

I did finally got the 55m but I hate extension tubes, I will keep take macro photo with Olympus. Unfortunately 55mm has a long minimum focal distance

-- hide signature --

al404 wrote:

I did finally got the 55m but I hate extension tubes, I will keep take macro photo with Olympus. Unfortunately 55mm has a long minimum focal distance

Agree, extension tubes sucks.

Dr_Love
Dr_Love Contributing Member • Posts: 928

al404 wrote:

Hate them all you want but they work and in this case you only need the shortest available so you don't lose much light to begin with. What is it you hate about extension tubes? I suppose I don't mid them because of all the work I did using bellows over the years. I find that for me the tube is a quick and easy set up that can also be used with any of my other lenses in a pinch. I'm also a kayaker so I tend to be a little biased towards compact solutions. You can get a cheap set of tubes on Amazon to try it out, you may be surprised and if you don't like it then there is the return window to use.

Dr_Love's gear list:Dr_Love's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +8 more
Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 7,908

al404 wrote:

Have used the 1.8/55 for some years now. Sharp and contrasty only let down by some longitudinal chromatic aberration (no issue unless into astrophotography however).

Do now and then wish for a somewhat better close focusing distance but can not remember that stopping me from getting the images - just back off slightly. So getting a macro lens for closer focus would not have made much difference in my case.

This is one of those lenses which could have been my only one, pretty versatile.

Have fun with the new lens!

al404

Dr_Love wrote:

al404 wrote:

Hate them all you want but they work and in this case you only need the shortest available so you don't lose much light to begin with. What is it you hate about extension tubes? I suppose I don't mid them because of all the work I did using bellows over the years. I find that for me the tube is a quick and easy set up that can also be used with any of my other lenses in a pinch. I'm also a kayaker so I tend to be a little biased towards compact solutions. You can get a cheap set of tubes on Amazon to try it out, you may be surprised and if you don't like it then there is the return window to use.

probabile because I'm so used with macro lens, I take macro / closeup outside in woodland and the dirt so I try to be as careful as I can when I exchange lens and try to avoid to change the lens

I don't like them because you need to use the correct tube for the correct distance and remove them if you want to shoot at normal focal distance

the only type I like is for vintage lens, I have an extension and adapter ring all in one for M42 lens, tuning the ring the tube extends

-- hide signature --
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 3,213

Batis 40 mm CF lens is really nice middle between 35 mm and 50 mm

Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,874

al404 wrote:

I have the FE 50mm f1.8 and since is now active Sony cashback I decide to pull the trigger on Zeiss 55mm f1.8 I'm not a big fan of huge lens and f1.8 seems the sweat spot for me

I like the lens the only thing I don't like about this lens is minimum focus distance

Since I can still return it I was wondering if I can find a better option with similar size and weight but most important IQ

If I have to step up I think in size I think I would prefer to go for Tamron 28-75 but is f 2.8 and I'm not sure is I could really see the difference in out focus area but I guess the answer is YES since 50mm is not a long focal length

The Voigtlander 50mm F2 has a bit better IQ, but is manual focus.  It is a wonderful lens.  I love the color and rendering as well as the extremely high resolution.  A near perfect lens and quite small.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +16 more
David_KG New Member • Posts: 18

I have the 40mm Batis with close focusing, and it's really nice.

My wife enjoys taking close shots for food, flowers... Not sure the direct comparison to a full macro lens, but this is also a nice walk around lens.

I got this instead of the 55 f1.8, which was what I was cross shopping... It's more expensive, but I figure, instead of a 35 and 55, I would just get the 40 instead and it's the same price + limited macro.

David_KG's gear list:David_KG's gear list
Sony a7C Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF Sony FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 3,901

al404 wrote:

An alternative would be picking up a macro lens filter for closer focusing.  It might not have the same IQ as a dedicated lens but might work in a pinch if up-close focusing isn't a common need.

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +1 more
Blind Bill
Blind Bill Senior Member • Posts: 1,107

Zeiss Milvus 2/50 Makro.  Incredible IQ, close focus (it is a Macro, after all)...a bit heavy, and manual focus only but simply a beautiful lens.

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Milvus 15mm F2.8 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads