Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Herrbill Regular Member • Posts: 177
Jupiter 8

No text.

Herrbill's gear list:Herrbill's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
OP Herrbill Regular Member • Posts: 177
Re: Jupiter 8

Interested to hear from anybody who has used this lens? I am thinking of using on my em 1 Olympus.

Herrbill's gear list:Herrbill's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,647

Herrbill wrote:

Interested to hear from anybody who has used this lens? I am thinking of using on my em 1 Olympus.

Tried one on my EOS R. Can't get infinity focus, more like 4-5m maximum. I would need to skim the adapter or unscrew the middle joint of the lens (easy, it's a Sonnar) and get some thinner shims.

It should make a lovely portrait lens on your camera though, provided you can focus it fast enough.

rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,330

Herrbill wrote:

You might find more info by posting in the adapted lens forum.

The Jupiter 8 /8M  had several variants but I guess they are basically close clones of the prewar zeiss 2/50 sonnar.

I have a few of these along with some post war zeiss opton 2/50 sonnars all in the contax rangefinder mount.  Made in other mounts as well of course.

I have used them on contax and kiev rf film cameras and adapted on an a7 and now a z FF.

They are all “ interesting”  - they all tend to be soft wide open and have that sonnar “look”.

If you are interested in old lenses and that vintage b/w or colour look then probably worth a punt.

Can’t remember when I last used them - but there is a lot of info on the in rangefinderforum.com and FredMiranda probably.

If you check flickr with “jupiter 8 olympus”  there are some photos there - the way they render looks very familiar to me - very pleasant and unlike most modern glass.

I could offer to take some shots around the garden on my em5.1 if I still have an m43 adapter but those flickr shots are going to give you a better idea of what the lens can do with interesting subjects.

The earlier ones were the most consistent, I believe - later on QC went a bit to pot.

richard

Arne-K
Arne-K Junior Member • Posts: 44

I have a silver version from 1963, sometimes using it as portrait lens on my M4/3 cameras. Soft wide open, but at F2,2 center is quite good already. Very nice bokeh.

Peter Daves
Peter Daves Contributing Member • Posts: 742

I have had mine since shooting film with my FED 3 rangefinder camera. It's a fun lens to use on digital cameras and I bought a Sony a3000 camera (body only) just to resurrect my old MF lenses. Technically, I don't think it comes up to the standard of most of my other (Japanese) lenses but it has it's own character.

Main tip is, always use a lens hood.

-- hide signature --
 Peter Daves's gear list:Peter Daves's gear list
A3000 Fujifilm X-T20 Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Fujifilm FinePix S100fs +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads