my XP Professional laptop wont format any memory stick over 32Gb

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
rookie79pandora79 Forum Member • Posts: 70
my XP Professional laptop wont format any memory stick over 32Gb

My XP Professional laptop will not format any memory stick/or card greater than 32Gb.. however i did once buy a mem stick which did, why is this?.

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,616
Re: my XP Professional laptop wont format any memory stick over 32Gb

rookie79pandora79 wrote:

My XP Professional laptop will not format any memory stick/or card greater than 32Gb.. however i did once buy a mem stick which did, why is this?.

What file system are you trying to format with?

"XP can't format a partition larger than 32 GB as FAT32, although it can read FAT32 partitions larger than that. If you want to use FAT32 rather than NTFS, you'll need to use a third-party tool to do the formatting."

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/what-is-max-size-usb-thumb-drive-supported-by-xp/f7af95da-2b13-420d-820d-86dc10c253f2

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 15,781

rookie79pandora79 wrote:

My XP Professional laptop will not format any memory stick/or card greater than 32Gb.. however i did once buy a mem stick which did, why is this?

If you recall formatting a > 32GB mem stick, you probably did it with third party software.

https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

Austinian

CAcreeks wrote:

rookie79pandora79 wrote:

My XP Professional laptop will not format any memory stick/or card greater than 32Gb.. however i did once buy a mem stick which did, why is this?

If you recall formatting a > 32GB mem stick, you probably did it with third party software.

https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

Could be; also, I wonder if a previously full-formatted >32GB drive (from the OEM?) could be successfully quick-formatted by XP without destroying the factory formatting?

Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,446

Slightly off-topic, but related:

The SD Association defines four capacity standards. The SDHC standard is for cards with more than 2 GB, and up to 32 GB, of capacity. It uses FAT32. SDXC is for cards with more than 32 GB, and up to 2 TB, of capacity. It uses exFAT.

SD Association – Capacity (SD/SDHC/SDXC/SDUC)

Given the 32 GB formatting limitation in the Windows XP implementation of FAT32, it is probably not an accident that the SDHC standard tops out at 32 GB.

I wouldn't recommend formatting a memory card meant for use in a digital camera with the "wrong" filesystem. FAT32 is the "wrong" filesystem for a SDXC card, even if there is a chance that some camera implementations might tolerate "mix and match".

If you format SD-family cards on a computer, the SD Association recommends that you use their application instead of the one that came with the operating system.

SD Association – SD Memory Card Formatter

Austinian

Tom_N wrote:

Slightly off-topic, but related:

The SD Association defines four capacity standards. The SDHC standard is for cards with more than 2 GB, and up to 32 GB, of capacity. It uses FAT32. SDXC is for cards with more than 32 GB, and up to 2 TB, of capacity. It uses exFAT.

SD Association – Capacity (SD/SDHC/SDXC/SDUC)

Given the 32 GB formatting limitation in the Windows XP implementation of FAT32, it is probably not an accident that the SDHC standard tops out at 32 GB.

I wouldn't recommend formatting a memory card meant for use in a digital camera with the "wrong" filesystem. FAT32 is the "wrong" filesystem for a SDXC card, even if there is a chance that some camera implementations might tolerate "mix and match".

If you format SD-family cards on a computer, the SD Association recommends that you use their application instead of the one that came with the operating system.

I personally never do anything to an SD card with a computer except copy image files from it. When a card approaches being full, I format it in the particular camera it'll be used in.

So far, that method has caused no problems at all for me.

CAcreeks

Austinian wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

SD Association has not provided a Linux version.

I never had problems with hand-me-down >32GB microSD cards from my phamily's fones, formatted as FAT32 in Linux, then used in my Android phone.

My wife keeps Harry Potter movies on her phone (don't tell Universal studios) so she needs exFAT, but I would never watch movies on a phone.

I personally never do anything to an SD card with a computer except copy image files from it. When a card approaches being full, I format it in the particular camera it'll be used in. So far, that method has caused no problems at all for me.

This is the best way, because cameras (usually? always?) set up a directory structure intended for their writing and review.

wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,449
Ridgecrop

Austinian wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

rookie79pandora79 wrote:

Could be; also, I wonder if a previously full-formatted >32GB drive (from the OEM?) could be successfully quick-formatted by XP without destroying the factory formatting?

The site the HowToGeek site linked to, RidgeCrop, is inaccessible when I tried to click on the link. I had a friend who was uncontactable for some years. He used the demon.co.uk domain so the the entire site is gone now.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi

Austinian
Re: Ridgecrop

wklee wrote:

Austinian wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

rookie79pandora79 wrote:

The site the HowToGeek site linked to, RidgeCrop, is inaccessible when I tried to click on the link. I had a friend who was uncontactable for some years. He used the demon.co.uk domain so the the entire site is gone now.

As best I recall, that used to be a pretty well-known domain. But not really a surprise it's dead, and not much demand for Windows XP fixes nowadays anyhow.

CAcreeks
Re: Ridgecrop

wklee wrote:

Austinian wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

rookie79pandora79 wrote:

Good hypothesis. I doubt it, because in the Ballmer era Microsoft was trying to promote use of its semi-useless (IMO) exFAT format.

OP rookie79pandora79 has not gotten back to us, but there are plenty of alternatives to format 64GB or higher flash devices on XP, including AOMEI Partition Assistant. Can't recall what I used back then, but it was not AOMEI. An old version of Rufus for XP is still available (2.18).

https://rufus.ie/downloads/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads