I tried the R5 and R6...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Jeff_0000 Regular Member • Posts: 473
I tried the R5 and R6...

And I find that they are a pair of 'very fast' cameras!

Menu experience: Selecting the items is quick by tapping and dragging my finger around the menu, or by using the joystick.

Autofocus experience: As many of you have mentioned, R5 and R6 have very fast and precise autofocus. But I would like to add the experience of doing autofocus with R5 and R6. The first one is that I can quickly touch and drag the AF box to the subject that I want to focus on both live view and EVF mode. This is very useful if I am using single AF point or box. The second one is that when I crazily tap different points on the live view, the cameras are able to focus on the subject without any lag issues. What I can say is they are very fast and responsive. The third one is even if I do nothing, the camera will automatically do the AF even on the stills mode. The AF control and experience is also very fast.

Live view: Selecting the ISO, shutter speed and aperture are very fast as well. I can tap the items and swipe my fingers to the desired values.

Apart from those, I find that the IBIS of R5 can be useful on emergency situation. I don't have sticky hands, but I am able to get sharp images at 0.5 second at 24mm, 50mm and 70mm. Lens is RF 24-105L.

I love the mode dial selection because I can hide some modes on the OLED panel.

And, I love the B mode because I can set an exposure timer. This implementation is just better than Nikon's and Fuji's 900 seconds setting.

Disclaimer: I have used Nikon cameras before. But I find the control on Canon is somewhat similar to my Nikon cameras. There are some gives and takes from both sides. All in all, Canon does a great job with R5 and R6. I may upgrade to R5 if I have more money in the future.

Jeff_0000's gear list:Jeff_0000's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Canon EOS R5 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JD28
JD28 Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: I tried the R5 and R6...

They are very thoughtfully designed cameras, and they do a lot of things right that are difficult to quantify and/or not often talked about in conventional camera reviews. Things like startup time, EVF activation time, touch screen responsiveness, shutter dampening, ease of connectivity, button feel, etc. The R5/R6 feel premium, rugged, and (critically) responsive. Sure, the price is a bit steep on both bodies, but there's a design elegance that really isn't mimicked across brands (at least in my opinion). They're the least "quirky" cameras I've ever used -- they just get out of the way and let you enjoy making pictures. That's really all I want!

OP Jeff_0000 Regular Member • Posts: 473
Re: I tried the R5 and R6...

JD28 wrote:

They are very thoughtfully designed cameras, and they do a lot of things right that are difficult to quantify and/or not often talked about in conventional camera reviews. Things like startup time, EVF activation time, touch screen responsiveness, shutter dampening, ease of connectivity, button feel, etc. The R5/R6 feel premium, rugged, and (critically) responsive. Sure, the price is a bit steep on both bodies, but there's a design elegance that really isn't mimicked across brands (at least in my opinion). They're the least "quirky" cameras I've ever used -- they just get out of the way and let you enjoy making pictures. That's really all I want!

I agree with most of the things that you said on the R5 and R6. What I can't comment is the connectivity because I didn't try it.

Prior to the release of R5 and R6, I have never seriously tried a Canon camera. Admittedly, I was attracted by the specs that R5 offers. But after trying the cameras, I discovered more about this pair of cameras and I believe their owners will enjoy shooting images with the cameras.

Jeff_0000's gear list:Jeff_0000's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads