tiny insects in viewfinder (true)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Alex Stewart in NL Forum Member • Posts: 88
tiny insects in viewfinder (true)

I bought a nearly new S1R from KEH, a very good vendor. I've bought a lot from them in the past (mainly Olympus and Nikon gear).

I got the S1R because I get very large prints of landscapes made. Turns out I really like the camera. Might as well also commend the 20-60mm f/3.5-5.6 lens - terrific for landscapes.

Generally I ignore the two tiny mites (wee fly-like critters) in the middle area of the (excellent) viewfinder. They look in focus. They don't show up on the rear, and they aren't on the sensor. I've done the f/22 of the bright sky test. They're the most annoying when using the viewfinder to review images.

I would think it would take some time (I'm in Newfoundland) and some money to get this fixed professionally. I also don't want to take KEH to task - it was in great shape otherwise. I'll probably go on ignoring the two interlopers. However, maybe, just maybe, someone has an idea of how to remove them safely. Thanks much.

Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120
Re: tiny insects in viewfinder (true)

Are they live or dead? If they are dead and stuck in one spot (which how I read your post) that would be annoying.

If they were there when you got the camera I suggest you contact KEH -- they might work with you on an exchange or something. If they showed up after you got it then it may mean a trip to a service center -- and probably a chunk of money.

I had something like this many years ago. In my case the bugs were alive and disappeared after a couple of days -- either escaped or crawled into the camera innards and died.

Gato

Phil A Martin
Phil A Martin Senior Member • Posts: 2,496

Gato Amarillo wrote:

Are they live or dead? If they are dead and stuck in one spot (which how I read your post) that would be annoying.

If they were there when you got the camera I suggest you contact KEH -- they might work with you on an exchange or something. If they showed up after you got it then it may mean a trip to a service center -- and probably a chunk of money.

I had something like this many years ago. In my case the bugs were alive and disappeared after a couple of days -- either escaped or crawled into the camera innards and died.

Gato

One of my Mamiya RBs was infested once. I cleared it by dismantling the prism unit and cleaning it.

OP Alex Stewart in NL Forum Member • Posts: 88

Thank you for the reply.

I had Mamiyas and plenty of manual cameras. However, this is an electronic viewfinder and I have no idea how to clean it.

Thank you for your reply.

They are dead, and they have been there all along. I suppose I could call KEH. They are really professional and, as I said, I've had very good experiences.

I am hoping against hope that someone will have a fix, though with electronic viewfinders I have no idea.

nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,951

You don't say when you bought it. KEH provides a 180 day warranty with all their used gear. I've always been under the impression their repairs are done in-house, but I can't say that for certain.

I would suggest contacting them. If you're happy with your purchase, have it taken care of.

-- hide signature --

I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.
Life is short - drive a convertible.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more

Thanks. It's within the 180 days. And yes, I really should contact Sean (the person I deal with there).

lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,539

Insects in the view finder.  No way.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more

I don't know if you are facetious or think I am lying or dreaming. However, they are there. I just had our local camera store manager inspect it. She is clear that they are most likely just behind the glass of the viewfinder (a great viewfinder, otherwise). And because they are in focus, even though they are small, it's very clear that they are tiny flying bugs, of the sort we generally call mites.

A workaround found

I realized that the bugs are only visible once an area of the finder is magnified for manual focus. If you use autofocus you won't see them. I almost always use manual focus, as this camera is for landscapes (mainly). Then I realized that if I move the magnified area, I might  avoid seeing the bugs. Small trials and the bottom right area works. I'm OK with that, as I always aim the magnified area where I want it in the scene.

Phil A Martin
Re: A workaround found

Alex Stewart in NL wrote:

I realized that the bugs are only visible once an area of the finder is magnified for manual focus. If you use autofocus you won't see them. I almost always use manual focus, as this camera is for landscapes (mainly). Then I realized that if I move the magnified area, I might avoid seeing the bugs. Small trials and the bottom right area works. I'm OK with that, as I always aim the magnified area where I want it in the scene.

Well as I said. I once had mites in the viewfinder of my Mamiya RB67. It can and does happen. So I most certainly don't doubt you.

Phil A Martin

Alex Stewart in NL wrote:

I realized that the bugs are only visible once an area of the finder is magnified for manual focus. If you use autofocus you won't see them. I almost always use manual focus, as this camera is for landscapes (mainly). Then I realized that if I move the magnified area, I might avoid seeing the bugs. Small trials and the bottom right area works. I'm OK with that, as I always aim the magnified area where I want it in the scene.

Not just you

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54137172

Thanks.  I used to think only our dog's furs were everywhere in the universe.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads