Workspace (workflow/raw converter for Olympus) equivalent for Panasonic??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
MattieUK Forum Member • Posts: 62
Workspace (workflow/raw converter for Olympus) equivalent for Panasonic??

Hi all

I'm using a very dated version of LR (version 5.something) and it can't treat GH5 raw files.

Is there an equivalent to Olympus' workspace, which would allow me to pre-filter the images and convert the 'good' files (ideally non-destructively) into something I could use in LR5?  I've heard a few mixed reviews of Adobe DWG converter, is this something I should consider?

I'm not keen to go down the subscription route, so suggestions for other workflow and basic editing programmes (i.e. Lightroom by any other name) that might be suitable alternatives would also be appreciated.  Otherwise, is it possible to get a licence for an older, non-subscription version of LR or has that option passed?  I think V6 would be upgradable to be able to process GH5 raw/RW2 files.

All advice appreciated

Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP MattieUK Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: Workspace (workflow/raw converter for Olympus) equivalent for Panasonic??

IN slight answer to my own question, I've just had a read about adobe DNG converter and it seems like some of the criticisms I've read have been overblown - that colour spaces could get messed up, file details lost.  Seems like LR would do this conversion internally for other proprietary Raw formats which it supported anyway?

Is adobe DNG converter my best bet here?  another step in the editing workflow, but hopefully quite straightforward.

Digital Dick Senior Member • Posts: 2,108

I shoot Olympus bodies and don't know anything about a Workspace equivalent for Panasonic. There may have been a Silky-pix version for older Panasonics.

I waited years before biting the bullet and replacing LR6 with the subscription version. In principal I'm still opposed to the subscription model. However, I will say that the latest versions of LR have improved a lot and have a lot more useful features included than any of the box versions of LR. In the US at least the subscription price has been keep reasonable for the past couple of years. So far Olympus Workspace just doesn't handle shadows as well as LR or Photoshop otherwise it's a decent program. I suppose you could convert your Panasonic raw images to TIFs and process them in Workspace but if you are processing lots of images the time needed for the extra step will eventually add up.

Dick

Digital Dick's gear list:Digital Dick's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II
dunkreid Contributing Member • Posts: 593

MattieUK wrote:

IN slight answer to my own question, I've just had a read about adobe DNG converter and it seems like some of the criticisms I've read have been overblown - that colour spaces could get messed up, file details lost. Seems like LR would do this conversion internally for other proprietary Raw formats which it supported anyway?

Is adobe DNG converter my best bet here? another step in the editing workflow, but hopefully quite straightforward.

Funnily enough, I downloaded Adobe DNG converter today because my version of Lightroom (4.4) can't read raws from my recently acquired E-M1.1 or 1.2. Olympus Workspace is not a joy to use, and I'm accustomed to the LR interface, so I was looking for the least fuss additional step to edit my raw images in Lightroom and Adobe DNG converter appears to be the most suitable option.

I did some reading on the compromises from raw to tiff, versus raw to DNG. I'm still uncertain, but I got the impression that raw to tiff (which is what I was doing in Olympus Workspace) will throw out some highlight and shadow information whereas raw to DNG retains that info. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong and point to some definitive sources on this.

Anyway, yes, the Adobe DNG converter is quite straightforward and fast enough for me. There was a strange glitch on this page for me in Chrome...

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=7021&fileID=7031

...where I needed to right click on the "download now" button and ask Chrome to open in a new tab before the download would commence.

Hope that helps.

Duncan

dunkreid's gear list:dunkreid's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +10 more
mpresley Contributing Member • Posts: 530

You might take a look at Exposure X5 or the most recent release of X6. It, like LR, can convert to DNG on the fly if needed.

-- hide signature --

Not a pro, just a Granddad with too much camera gear

mpresley's gear list:mpresley's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +18 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,512

MattieUK wrote:

Hi all

I'm using a very dated version of LR (version 5.something) and it can't treat GH5 raw files.

Is there an equivalent to Olympus' workspace, which would allow me to pre-filter the images and convert the 'good' files (ideally non-destructively) into something I could use in LR5? I've heard a few mixed reviews of Adobe DWG converter, is this something I should consider?

I'm not keen to go down the subscription route, so suggestions for other workflow and basic editing programmes (i.e. Lightroom by any other name) that might be suitable alternatives would also be appreciated. Otherwise, is it possible to get a licence for an older, non-subscription version of LR or has that option passed? I think V6 would be upgradable to be able to process GH5 raw/RW2 files.

All advice appreciated

Olympus has Workspace and Panasonic has Silkypix SE.

Silkypix SE V8 is free from http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/p/ and they often have severe discounts on the full V10 Pro version for Panasonic only https://silkypix.isl.co.jp/en/ext/special/dsp10pana/

Silkypix is "different" so it frightens some people but it is an extremely capable raw converter with seemingly close contact with the Japanese camera industry.

Maybe if timid then an idea is raw to tiff with Silkypix, then tiff to a more familiar edit program to finish off.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more

I'm no expert but I think a 16 bit Tiff contains all the data that is in the 16 bit raw file. Workspace doesn't appear to pull as much out of the shadows as LR. I should try opening a raw in Workspace and without processing it just save it out as a Tiff and then open the Tiff in LR to look for any differences with just opening the raw directly in LR.

Dick

So I just did the comparison of opening a raw in Workspace and exporting it as a tiff and then importing the tiff into LR vs just opening the raw directly into LR. They come into LR with slightly different exposures and different colors (colors as expected by the way LR applies custom color profiles to raw vs tiff or jpeg) but with minor exposure touch up, the tiff image looks virtually identical to the raw. I should point out the in camera raw had a full tonal range with no crunched blacks and no blown out highlights. Probably should repeat with a higher dynamic range test image.

Dick

Trolleyman Regular Member • Posts: 404

Guy Parsons wrote:

MattieUK wrote:

Hi all

Is there an equivalent to Olympus' workspace, which would allow me to pre-filter the images and convert the 'good' files (ideally non-destructively) into something I could use in LR5? I've heard a few mixed reviews of Adobe DWG converter, is this something I should consider?

I'm not keen to go down the subscription route, so suggestions for other workflow and basic editing programmes (i.e. Lightroom by any other name) that might be suitable alternatives would also be appreciated. Otherwise, is it possible to get a licence for an older, non-subscription version of LR or has that option passed? I think V6 would be upgradable to be able to process GH5 raw/RW2 files.

All advice appreciated

Silkypix SE V8 is free from http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/p/ and they often have severe discounts on the full V10 Pro version for Panasonic only https://silkypix.isl.co.jp/en/ext/special/dsp10pana/

Silkypix is "different" so it frightens some people but it is an extremely capable raw converter with seemingly close contact with the Japanese camera industry.

Maybe if timid then an idea is raw to tiff with Silkypix, then tiff to a more familiar edit program to finish off.

I use Silkypix 9 Studio Pro and find it an excellent raw converter for Panasonic files. Not sure what extra features V10 offers, but might upgrade given the reasonable cost.

Alternatively the OP could buy a secondhand copy of LR 6 and use that, do see them come up for sale every now and then. No doubt Amazon will have a good deal on the subscription version during their Black Friday promotion. Last offer price I saw was £84 for a year, can't really complain for 7 quid a month.

LearningForeverIHope
LearningForeverIHope Senior Member • Posts: 2,210

Digital Dick wrote:

I'm no expert but I think a 16 bit Tiff contains all the data that is in the 16 bit raw file. Workspace doesn't appear to pull as much out of the shadows as LR. I should try opening a raw in Workspace and without processing it just save it out as a Tiff and then open the Tiff in LR to look for any differences with just opening the raw directly in LR.

Dick

I do not see how it will be possible to save a Raw in that workspace since it applies all the settings, with the exception of filters, that you made in camera.

LearningForeverIHope's gear list:LearningForeverIHope's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +3 more
LearningForeverIHope

Guy Parsons wrote:

MattieUK wrote:

Hi all

All advice appreciated

Version 8 is free for Panasonic users. Version 10 is on sale at USD$40. It does not apply all settings like workspace does for Olympus.

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +3 more
LearningForeverIHope

Trolleyman wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

MattieUK wrote:

Hi all

All advice appreciated

I use Silkypix 9 Studio Pro and find it an excellent raw converter for Panasonic files. Not sure what extra features V10 offers, but might upgrade given the reasonable cost.

Hurry up the sale ends by the end of the month. $40.

Alternatively the OP could buy a secondhand copy of LR 6 and use that, do see them come up for sale every now and then. No doubt Amazon will have a good deal on the subscription version during their Black Friday promotion. Last offer price I saw was £84 for a year, can't really complain for 7 quid a month.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,512

LearningForeverIHope wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

Dick

I do not see how it will be possible to save a Raw in that workspace since it applies all the settings, with the exception of filters, that you made in camera.

But there is a heck of a lot more data in a 16 bit tiff compared to a jpeg, so that will allow more to be extracted with further post process edits before committing to a final jpeg.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
LearningForeverIHope

Guy Parsons wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

Dick

But there is a heck of a lot more data in a 16 bit tiff compared to a jpeg,

True, true enough. Actually a raw file in MFT is only 12 bits deep. I wonder how and if that data is spread over the 16 bits of the TIFF or something else.

so that will allow more to be extracted with further post process edits before committing to a final jpeg.

All I meant is that the settings we choose in camera are applied by Workspace. That way the TIFF that we get is different from the raw file that we sent. Still plenty of data but not the same data.

OP MattieUK Forum Member • Posts: 62

Guy Parsons wrote:

MattieUK wrote:

Hi all

All advice appreciated

Thanks for this - I've downloaded the free silkypix and it's actually quite handy for a quick look and minor tweak

I don't tend to do a great deal in LR anyway, beyond some cropping and a bit of sharpening (partly as I've little real idea what I'm doing but mainly as it bores me to tears!) so a simple, basic feature set approach is very useful.

Guy Parsons wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

Dick

True, true enough. Actually a raw file in MFT is only 12 bits deep. I wonder how and if that data is spread over the 16 bits of the TIFF or something else.

so that will allow more to be extracted with further post process edits before committing to a final jpeg.

All I meant is that the settings we choose in camera are applied by Workspace. That way the TIFF that we get is different from the raw file that we sent. Still plenty of data but not the same data.

What's the view on TIFF v DNG? If I'm required to convert my raw files into another format in order to have them readable by my old version of Lightroom I'm inclined to convert them to DNG because the DNG format will retain more info for headroom in both highlights and shadows than a TIFF.

Olympus Workspace won't export to DNG, therefore I'll skip it and use Adobe Raw converter instead.

Can you foresee any drawbacks to this approach?

Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +10 more
SrMi
SrMi Senior Member • Posts: 1,552

dunkreid wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

Dick

What's the view on TIFF v DNG? If I'm required to convert my raw files into another format in order to have them readable by my old version of Lightroom I'm inclined to convert them to DNG because the DNG format will retain more info for headroom in both highlights and shadows than a TIFF.

Olympus Workspace won't export to DNG, therefore I'll skip it and use Adobe Raw converter instead.

In your case, DNG is a raw file, TIFF is not. You have more post-processing possibilities with DNG than with TIFF.

Eric Chan wrote:

A usual TIFF file that comes out the back end of a raw converter has already been rendered, i.e., it has been mapped to a standard color space, it has been tone mapped, white balancing has been done, etc. More technically, the image is output-referred.

...DNG is still scene-referred and can still benefit from many of the operations typically performed by a raw converter, such as white balance, the application of a camera color profile, HDR compositing, etc.

SrMi wrote:

dunkreid wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

Dick

In your case, DNG is a raw file, TIFF is not. You have more post-processing possibilities with DNG than with TIFF.

Eric Chan wrote:

A usual TIFF file that comes out the back end of a raw converter has already been rendered, i.e., it has been mapped to a standard color space, it has been tone mapped, white balancing has been done, etc. More technically, the image is output-referred.

...DNG is still scene-referred and can still benefit from many of the operations typically performed by a raw converter, such as white balance, the application of a camera color profile, HDR compositing, etc.

Excellent! Thanks for the response, which answers my query and partially that of the OP. There is quite a lot of fuzz and noise and lack of clarity, so to speak, on the web on raw, tiff and dng, so this is really helpful.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/30148341

Cheers.

LearningForeverIHope

dunkreid wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

Dick

No, I see no big problem beside more time passed in PP than absolutely necessary.

I do my level best to get it right in camera. That means exposing for the highlights and the shadows. I may have to use the shadow/highlights settings to modify the JPEG curve. If encompassing every level of light in a single shoot, then it is time for choices. Do I let some highlights blow up ? Specular reflections are a good candidate for that. Do I let the shadows fall into the dark ? Silhouettes are a good candidate, as much as large areas in night shots. Do I need HDR ? I use Enfuse (the plugin) for that, not tone mapping. We have tons of options.

When we get the exposure right, and we convert into TIFF we get just as much latitude as we do when we develop from raw. Now, in these days when natural colours are under the video influence with all its improbable grading and cinematic look, getting it right OOC may not mean as much as it did not so long ago.

drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,735

dunkreid wrote:

SrMi wrote:

dunkreid wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

Dick

Eric Chan wrote:

Excellent! Thanks for the response, which answers my query and partially that of the OP. There is quite a lot of fuzz and noise and lack of clarity, so to speak, on the web on raw, tiff and dng, so this is really helpful.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/30148341

Cheers.

Adobe RAW converter or DNG can recover more highlights than the 16 bit tiff file from WS.

My problem with the Adobe defaults for the Olympus E-M1.2 is that the colors are not accurate. It is too RED and I do not want to try to color correct files. Therefore I use Abode for those files where I want to recover highlights and WS to tiff for everything else.

See the attached image. Exported from LR with just the Olympus camera defaults with two modifications. Noise = Low and Keep Warn Color Turned On. I would expect this to produce a warmer file than the Abobe LR conversion of the RAW file, but it does not.

I could easily adjust the Adobe file to look the same in sharpness etc., but I cannot easily correct the colors. The Adobe colors for the wood, the dead flower stems, the grass are all too red/brown and not very good, the Olympus colors are accurate.

The WS file is on the left.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads