Open source software

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
José Luís Malaquias Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Open source software

Hi,

I have been trying to pick some open source or otherwise free software for three basic operations, on pictures taken on my D780:

1 Panorama stitching

2 HDR combination

3 Focus bracketing combination

The problem is there are so many to choose from, and I do not have time or patience to try them all. Are there any programs that you regularly use for these tasks, that you would care to recommend?

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,149
Re: Open source software

José Luís Malaquias wrote:

I have been trying to pick some open source or otherwise free software for three basic operations, on pictures taken on my D780:

1 Panorama stitching

2 HDR combination

3 Focus bracketing combination

The problem is there are so many to choose from, and I do not have time or patience to try them all. Are there any programs that you regularly use for these tasks, that you would care to recommend?

Are you just looking for free software, or software that provides the source code so that you can make your own program modifications?

For free software, Microsoft ICE is frequently recommended for panorama stitching.

Hugin is free and open source, and it does panorama stitching with lots of customization, but it is not easy to use. One component used by Hugin is Enfuse, and it can do exposure blending—giving approximately the same effect as HDR—as well as focus bracketing. I’ve used this software extensively.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,402
Autostitch

The problem is there are so many to choose from, and I do not have time or patience to try them all.

Well, lack of patience is a serious impediment with new software, especially free software. Possibly for any software.

For panorama stitching I use Autostitch (Google for a link). It is excellent.

Examples:

Lavender fields, Kent:

D70; Nik 18-35

Val Thorens, Haute Savoie, France at dawn

Panasonic Lumix

JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

I'd second the Hugin suite, and I'd observe that really, it's not too bad to use, if you've experienced computers and command lines for a while.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
afoton
afoton Senior Member • Posts: 1,753

Hi,

1 Panorama stitching

2 HDR combination

Hugin does this. I have used it for panorama stitching the last 12 years. Hugin does panorama stiching the way I think is the right way, based on panorama tools. Hugin has it's own reimplemented, open source, version of panorama tools.
Hugin can do the stiching automaticly, but one can also take full controll over whatever step one wants, for making the perfect results with the projection one wants. I do not know any commersial software that does it better than Hugin, some software does it the same way, but not better. Many of the softwares that people reccomend, are easy to use, because everything are automaticly, but than one has no controll over the result. With Hugin one can take control over everything.

Hugin use enblend/enfuse for blending the seams in the panorama. But it can also make HDR-images, both finished tonemaped images and real HDR-files for tonemapping in other software. And it can do it for panoramas.

Enblend/enfuse can also do focus stacking, but I have no good experience with that. I use Zerene Stacker for focus stacking, but that is not open source.

bluzman
bluzman Contributing Member • Posts: 851

Microsoft ICE has been my choice for panoramas for a number of years. It's simple but effective in my view.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Tamron 35-150mm F2.8-4 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads