WTB - Olympus AC-3 Power Adapter

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Sam Bennett
Sam Bennett Veteran Member • Posts: 4,596
WTB - Olympus AC-3 Power Adapter

Anyone have an Olympus AC-3 Power Adapter sitting around that they want to sell me? Looking to power an E-M1 Mark I through the HLD-7 grip.

-- hide signature --
 Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,911
Re: WTB - Olympus AC-3 Power Adapter

Sam Bennett wrote:

Anyone have an Olympus AC-3 Power Adapter sitting around that they want to sell me? Looking to power an E-M1 Mark I through the HLD-7 grip.

Olympus has discontinued the AC-3 power adapter. But even when they sold it, I tended to think the AC-3 (and AC-1 before it) was horribly overpriced.

Note, the AC-3 uses the same plug as the earlier AC-1 used for the E-1, E-300, E-3, E-30, and E-5 used with their battery grips. According to the specifications printed on the AC-1 and AC-3, the amps provided by the AC-3 is somewhat higher than the AC-1. That being said, I believe the AC-1 provides enough power to run the current Olympus cameras.

In the E-1 era, there was a clone maker that made a clone of the AC-1, that they called the PS-AC1. You can find this in some online stores, if you look for it specifically. I bought the PS-AC1, and it ran my E-m1 mark I.

I bought the PS-AC1 to get the plug. I sliced off the cable, and inserted a 5.5mm x 2.1mm standard plug between the AC adapter and the cable. I use the plug to hook up to other 9v power sources, including USB boosters that provide 9v from 1 or 2 USB connections, and USB C-PD with a trigger to give 9v from modern USB C-PD batteries.

Here are the PS-AC1's that I have stored in my various wish lists or found via a search:

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +22 more
Jeff Wahaus Regular Member • Posts: 256

Sam Bennett wrote:

If you can't find one you should be able to find a generic AC/DC power supply on Ebay If you know the proper voltage and amperage rating you need.

I have an AC-5 and it's 9V @ 5A.   I was a little too paranoid to attach an unknown power supply to my new camera so I paid 5x the price of the generic and got the Olympus brand.

I'm sure most generics will work fine though.

Jeff Wahaus's gear list:Jeff Wahaus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Sam Bennett
OP Sam Bennett Veteran Member • Posts: 4,596
Great info!

Michael Meissner wrote:

Sam Bennett wrote:

Olympus has discontinued the AC-3 power adapter. But even when they sold it, I tended to think the AC-3 (and AC-1 before it) was horribly overpriced.

Note, the AC-3 uses the same plug as the earlier AC-1 used for the E-1, E-300, E-3, E-30, and E-5 used with their battery grips. According to the specifications printed on the AC-1 and AC-3, the amps provided by the AC-3 is somewhat higher than the AC-1. That being said, I believe the AC-1 provides enough power to run the current Olympus cameras.

In the E-1 era, there was a clone maker that made a clone of the AC-1, that they called the PS-AC1. You can find this in some online stores, if you look for it specifically. I bought the PS-AC1, and it ran my E-m1 mark I.

I bought the PS-AC1 to get the plug. I sliced off the cable, and inserted a 5.5mm x 2.1mm standard plug between the AC adapter and the cable. I use the plug to hook up to other 9v power sources, including USB boosters that provide 9v from 1 or 2 USB connections, and USB C-PD with a trigger to give 9v from modern USB C-PD batteries.

Here are the PS-AC1's that I have stored in my various wish lists or found via a search:

Thanks for this - I was worried about the funky plug shape, but it's hard to tell from some of the images. Great to hear I can use the AC-1 clones - I'll go with that!

-- hide signature --
 Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 III Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
Michael Meissner

Jeff Wahaus wrote:

Sam Bennett wrote:

If you can't find one you should be able to find a generic AC/DC power supply on Ebay If you know the proper voltage and amperage rating you need.

That won't work. The AC-1 and AC-3 use a unique plug that is not found anywhere else (and I have searched).

I have an AC-5 and it's 9V @ 5A. I was a little too paranoid to attach an unknown power supply to my new camera so I paid 5x the price of the generic and got the Olympus brand.

I'm sure most generics will work fine though.

The AC-5 now uses a standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm power plug, so you can use a generic power supply instead. Obviously, you don't feel comfortable using generic supplies, and that is fine. I felt the AC-1/3/5 were over-priced, even worse than most Olympus accessories. Different strokes for different folks.

I have attached various power supplies to my E-m5 mark III, E-m1 mark I, E-m5 mark 1, Stylus-1, and Panasonic G85, making sure it specifies 7.2-9 volts and at least 1 amp (at 9 volts), but preferably more than 1 amp. I do measure the voltage when attaching it to make sure it is 9 volts, and often times I have the meter on continuously.

Now, in theory, the E-m1x might use a little more power (since it has multiple CPUs to do the image processing), but in general most cameras I've looked at use 9 watts or less (i.e. 1 amp or less at 9 volts of power). In general, re-charging the clip-on flash and shooting 4K video at a high frame rate tends to be the places that use the most power.

And note, due to being run normally on batteries, the camera has to have protection against too little power.

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +22 more
Bruce M. Regular Member • Posts: 482

The eBay AC-1 is actually KEH outlet store. I just bought it's twin for a few dollars more from same offer. Works fine on EM5 M1 HDL 6 grip.

SACRAMENTO E SYSTEM USER New Member • Posts: 4

Hi, found your posting regarding the AC-3 and decided to try your suggestion.  I have a couple of EM-1s (mk1) and a couple of EM1Xs, and one of the MOST desirable features I find about the Xs is I can plug them into a USB charge port and the batteries (both) will slow charge up to full. I have not removed the batteries from my Xs since I first charged them for their initial installation, all subsequent charges have been via USB port.

I hate having to remove the batteries from the EM1s and the HLD-7s when they need a charge. Being an owner of a E-1, E-3, and a E-5, somewhere along the line I picked up a AC-1.  After removing the batteries from one of my EM-1/HLD-7 units, I plugged in the AC-1 to the EM-1/HLD-7 units. I turned on the camera and it powered up just fine, it also performed auto focus well and seemed to operate just as though a pair of well charged BLN-1 batteries were installed.

I have NOT tried powering the EM-1/HLD-7 with the AC-1 with the BLN-1 batteries still in the camera and power grip.  I will try it next...HOWEVER, what I am REALLY interested in determining is, will the AC-1 when powering the EM-1/HLD-7 with batteries inside, provide some CHARGING activity to the BLN-1 batteries in the camera & grip.

If the AC-1 does provide some charging power, I can now just plug in the AC-1, and not have to remove the batteries...

If anyone is looking for the AC-1, KEH camera has them at a very reasonable price...you will find it under CAMERA/ACCESSORIES (OLYMPUS).

Michael Meissner

SACRAMENTO E SYSTEM USER wrote:

Hi, found your posting regarding the AC-3 and decided to try your suggestion. I have a couple of EM-1s (mk1) and a couple of EM1Xs, and one of the MOST desirable features I find about the Xs is I can plug them into a USB charge port and the batteries (both) will slow charge up to full. I have not removed the batteries from my Xs since I first charged them for their initial installation, all subsequent charges have been via USB port.

I hate having to remove the batteries from the EM1s and the HLD-7s when they need a charge. Being an owner of a E-1, E-3, and a E-5, somewhere along the line I picked up a AC-1. After removing the batteries from one of my EM-1/HLD-7 units, I plugged in the AC-1 to the EM-1/HLD-7 units. I turned on the camera and it powered up just fine, it also performed auto focus well and seemed to operate just as though a pair of well charged BLN-1 batteries were installed.

I have NOT tried powering the EM-1/HLD-7 with the AC-1 with the BLN-1 batteries still in the camera and power grip. I will try it next...HOWEVER, what I am REALLY interested in determining is, will the AC-1 when powering the EM-1/HLD-7 with batteries inside, provide some CHARGING activity to the BLN-1 batteries in the camera & grip.

As far as I know it does not do charging. Until the E-m1x, Olympus did no charging in their DSLR or mirrorless bodies. And the E-m1 mark III can charge batteries in the body, but it can't charge batteries in the HLD-9 battery grip which was designed for the E-m1 mark II (before Olympus started doing charging). The grip just wasn't designed that way.

I suspect what happens is if you provide power in the power port, it just uses that power, and not the batteries. It may be the camera uses that power, because the voltage is higher than the batteries (the AC-1/AC-3 delivers roughly 9v, while that batteries deliver a little less than that).

On my E-m1 mark I and E-m5 mark I, I have used the power port with both batteries in the grip. You could of course just take out the battery from the grip and charge it up separately. But the battery in the camera, you have to disassemble the grip, etc.

I really liked the old HLD-4 grip, that you could take out one or both batteries, while the camera was still mounted on a tripod (or in my case, an elaborate steampunk camera box).

However, the HLD-4 did have one flaw that people talked about.  Rather than the camera choosing one battery to use or the other (like the current micro-4/3rds cameras do), it tried to use the power from both batteries at the same time.  The issue was if both batteries weren't at the same charge level, it could mess up figuring when a battery was depleted.  I recall some E-3 users going to the extent of only using 2 batteries from the same order (on the assumption  they were made in the same factory on the same run), and they always used/charged the batteries in parallel.  When I was using the HLD-4, I tended to use just one battery.

When I've shot renaissance faires, I would use the grips on the E-m5 mark I, E-m1 mark I, and G85, specifying to use the battery in the grip first. When I noticed the power had switched to the camera body battery, I would change the grip battery. While it probably is not recommended, I have actually changed the grip battery while the camera was actively shooting video on the camera battery.  As soon as I closed the door, the camera switched back to the grip battery.

While I've played with external power, I've only used it a few times. I need to build a base so I don't have to worry about the battery to dummy battery connection with wires coming out that can come apart during use.

If the AC-1 does provide some charging power, I can now just plug in the AC-1, and not have to remove the batteries...

If anyone is looking for the AC-1, KEH camera has them at a very reasonable price...you will find it under CAMERA/ACCESSORIES (OLYMPUS).

Those prices are pretty low.

According to the specs, the AC-1 delivers a little less amps than the AC-3.  So it is possible some mode might use more power than the AC-1 can deliver.  On the E-m1 mark I at least, I tried testing all of the options, including using the flash and having it recharge, and I generally could not get it above one amp (at 9v), and the AC-1 is rated at 9v and 2.5 amps.  I would imagine the E-m1 mark III writing a 4K video file to a UHS-2 card and using the 12-100mm f/4 lens, might draw the most power.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads