Connecting G9 and PC through Wifi.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
LearningForeverIHope
LearningForeverIHope Senior Member • Posts: 2,210
Connecting G9 and PC through Wifi.

Best Monday to all.

Has anyone succeeded to send photos as they're shot to a folder inside their PC via Wifi.

I tried every possible method I could come across and the camera just fails to connect with the PC. So I am wondering if it is even possible.

Thank you.

LearningForeverIHope's gear list:LearningForeverIHope's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892
Re: Connecting G9 and PC through Wifi.

LearningForeverIHope wrote:

Best Monday to all.

Has anyone succeeded to send photos as they're shot to a folder inside their PC via Wifi.

I tried every possible method I could come across and the camera just fails to connect with the PC. So I am wondering if it is even possible.

Thank you.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3905199

You're welcome...

-- hide signature --
LearningForeverIHope
OP LearningForeverIHope Senior Member • Posts: 2,210

hindesite wrote:

Best Monday to all.

Thank you.

You're welcome...

Looks promising. I think I have already spotted the problem. Give it a try tomorrow or the day after and let you know.

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +3 more
LuxShots
LuxShots Regular Member • Posts: 490

I have done so with the GH4 and GH5S so it is definitely possible. You have to have the login information for your computer and you need to set up a folder on the computer as shared.

After that, do the setup on the camera, linking through your wireless router and then browse to your PC.

Images are simply transferred as you snap, and all is well!

I used this a bunch when I used to shoot portraits in my home, and I didn't want the image transfer downtime before editing. After the shoot was done, the pictures were ready for my to start editing!

LuxShots's gear list:LuxShots's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +9 more
LearningForeverIHope

LuxShots wrote:

I have done so with the GH4 and GH5S so it is definitely possible.

Which is definitely encouraging.

You have to have the login information for your computer and you need to set up a folder on the computer as shared.

OK, done.

After that, do the setup on the camera, linking through your wireless router and then browse to your PC.

I used this a bunch when I used to shoot portraits in my home, and I didn't want the image transfer downtime before editing. After the shoot was done, the pictures were ready for my to start editing!

LR can be set to watch the shared folder. Was that how you used it ?

LearningForeverIHope

hindesite wrote:

Best Monday to all.

Thank you.

You're welcome...

Re-thanks since it worked. I had to learn how to share a folder (in the most recent versions of Windows 10 it requires digging into the network settings and the services and the folder properties...). Another thing that I missed the first time around was that when the camera asked for my computer name, which exists and is DESKTOP_such and such, what was really needed was the IP address of my computer. Lost in translation ?

Now it works well actually. It is not hyper fast but I don't care really since I do just a few portraits. Product and macros aren't rushed affairs.

Even funner is that I can set LR to watch the shared folder. That's a good workflow.

Feels good.

Thanks again.

Back to my experiments on tethering.

Jean

LuxShots

LuxShots wrote:

You have to have the login information for your computer and you need to set up a folder on the computer as shared.

OK, done.

I did not.

I copied the files into a client specific directory, then imported them into lightroom. There is no reason why your scenario wouldn't work though.

Why you are down this road, I'd thought you'd find this interesting:

If you register with Lumix Web Services (check it out in the manual), you can use this system to directly tweet photos to Twitter!

I have used the hotspot feature on my cellphone to directly tweet photos from breaking news! Kinda awesome huh?

Panasonic Lumix DC-S1H Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +9 more
LearningForeverIHope

LuxShots wrote:

LuxShots wrote:

OK, done.

I did not.

I copied the files into a client specific directory, then imported them into lightroom. There is no reason why your scenario wouldn't work though.

If you register with Lumix Web Services (check it out in the manual), you can use this system to directly tweet photos to Twitter!

I have used the hotspot feature on my cellphone to directly tweet photos from breaking news! Kinda awesome huh?

It is ! I remember looking at his Palm Pilot thinking : " If this could make phone calls..."

LuxShots

LuxShots wrote:

LuxShots wrote:

OK, done.

I did not.

It is ! I remember looking at his Palm Pilot thinking : " If this could make phone calls..."

With this function, the camera automatically Tweets each photo you take. No further interaction from you is required!

LearningForeverIHope

LuxShots wrote:

LuxShots wrote:

LuxShots wrote:

OK, done.

I did not.

With this function, the camera automatically Tweets each photo you take. No further interaction from you is required!

Better think profoundly before shooting anything then !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads