Getting an Olympus camera , is it worth due to the situation?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
amit190 Regular Member • Posts: 440
Getting an Olympus camera , is it worth due to the situation?

Hi
I already own an em10 and looking for an upgrade.
Is it worth getting an em1 ii with the company's sale to JIP ?

That probobly means no camera upgrades in m43 world (Panasonic are not clear about their m43 line).
Maybe it is time to change format?

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 3,387
Re: Getting an Olympus camera , is it worth due to the situation?

amit190 wrote:

Hi

That probobly means no camera upgrades in m43 world (Panasonic are not clear about their m43 line).

Only you can answer to that question. Olympus is getting rid of stocks, so Olympus cameras have a bit better prices now than they used to have. I expect the prices to be cut even more until the end of the year.

If you buy an Olympus camera for cheap now, I don't see why you can't use it for a few years.

Ok, you don't have an upgrade path. So what? You can change the system after a few years.

So the idea is: buy Olympus if you like it and have found a good deal for it.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D300 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 18,887

I'm leaning more toward Panasonic now.  But not replacing all of my Oly gear!  There is so much nice M4/3 gear on the market at this time that I have no incentive to leave M4/3.  If I ever did switch, it would most likely be to full frame.

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85
Anders_K Contributing Member • Posts: 879

Never wait for better times !

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,786

I recently bought a 10 year old Oly. Who knows how many owners. Works fine, even has IBIS! I can use a current Oly or Panny lens on it, and have. So yeah, not a bad record for reliability and such.

And that's true for many older cameras.

Point being that an Oly is a fine choice now. At least we know that warranties are covered and there's a  ton of current stuff out there for them in terms of lenses. Indeed, too many. So I don't see a problem buying one.

And besides, every camera manufacturer has issues. They could drop a line without every saying so, or stop making cameras altogether, or worse. We don't know. They probably don't know.

Get what works now. Odds are your situation might change and if so, you'll be selling anyway. And someone will buy it for a decent price. Sheesh, even Samsungs still go for good prices.

LightCameraAction Contributing Member • Posts: 638

amit190 wrote:

Hi

I have been wondering the same thing. Except in my case, it is between buying a 40-150mm pro or 300mm pro or changing brands. The problem is I like Olympus cameras quite a bit.

I am holding on to my kit and waiting to see how the JIP acquisition turns out. I am sure there will be some kind of roadmap announced after the acquisition is complete to keep consumer confidence.

LightCameraAction wrote:

amit190 wrote:

Hi

I have been wondering the same thing. Except in my case, it is between buying a 40-150mm pro or 300mm pro or changing brands. The problem is I like Olympus cameras quite a bit.

I am holding on to my kit and waiting to see how the JIP acquisition turns out. I am sure there will be some kind of roadmap announced after the acquisition is complete to keep consumer confidence.

What roadmap? Olympus cameras are dead. The photographic division fired most of its engineers and JIP is mainly made of accountants which don't have the know how to produce cameras and lenses.

I would expect mostly some cheap chinese compacts rebranded as OM-D, which is the brand JIP bought.

Sony RX100 VA Nikon D300 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more

DeathArrow wrote:

LightCameraAction wrote:

amit190 wrote:

Hi

What roadmap? Olympus cameras are dead. The photographic division fired most of its engineers and JIP is mainly made of accountants which don't have the know how to produce cameras and lenses.

I would expect mostly some cheap chinese compacts rebranded as OM-D, which is the brand JIP bought.

They are being acquired by JIP, not dissolved (not yet anyway). Saying they are dead is false information (though, that could certainly be the eventual outcome).

JIP has made statements that they intend to focus on high end products and expand into other areas (e.g., security cameras). I am waiting to hear what they have to say after the acquisition is complete, and I will be looking for some kind of product roadmap/strategy. I suspect that R&D will slow significantly (it needs to), but that JIP will continue to sell and upgrade camera bodies for some time (at very least, take advantage of existing customers Pentax style)

If the new imaging company does not inspire confidence, I will switch brands. Why make a hasty decision that will cost thousands before gathering all information?

LightCameraAction wrote:

DeathArrow wrote:

LightCameraAction wrote:

amit190 wrote:

Hi

They are being acquired by JIP, not dissolved (not yet anyway). Saying they are dead is false information (though, that could certainly be the eventual outcome).

JIP has made statements that they intend to focus on high end products and expand into other areas (e.g., security cameras). I am waiting to hear what they have to say after the acquisition is complete, and I will be looking for some kind of product roadmap/strategy. I suspect that R&D will slow significantly (it needs to), but that JIP will continue to sell and upgrade camera bodies for some time (at very least, take advantage of existing customers Pentax style)

If the new imaging company does not inspire confidence, I will switch brands. Why make a hasty decision that will cost thousands before gathering all information?

Maybe looking at other businesses acquired by JIP will make it more clear?

DeathArrow wrote:

LightCameraAction wrote:

DeathArrow wrote:

LightCameraAction wrote:

amit190 wrote:

Hi

I have. And I agree that it is not confident inspiring. However, the Olympus camera division is a different business than other businesses JIP has purchased. For one, the product is a camera system with many (millions?) of users worldwide. Why would they throw that potential away?

If they purchased the assets without a lot of debt, they have a mature camera system with many users. All they need to do at a minimum is manufacturer lenses and they are purchased (this should be profitable), and develop a new camera body every few years (may be profitable if they stick to high end users). Maybe not a great long term outlook, but I bet they could continue for a bit in that type of low R&D mode.

Anyway, it is plausible that JIP will continue in this business. It is also plausible that they will not continue. I am waiting to hear more to make an informed decision on next steps. If they come out with a product roadmap and strategy, I will stick with Olympus (OM-D). If they do not, I will likely move on.

techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

LightCameraAction wrote:

DeathArrow wrote:

LightCameraAction wrote:

DeathArrow wrote:

LightCameraAction wrote:

amit190 wrote:

Hi

I have. And I agree that it is not confident inspiring. However, the Olympus camera division is a different business than other businesses JIP has purchased. For one, the product is a camera system with many (millions?) of users worldwide. Why would they throw that potential away?

If they purchased the assets without a lot of debt, they have a mature camera system with many users. All they need to do at a minimum is manufacturer lenses and they are purchased (this should be profitable), and develop a new camera body every few years (may be profitable if they stick to high end users). Maybe not a great long term outlook, but I bet they could continue for a bit in that type of low R&D mode.

Anyway, it is plausible that JIP will continue in this business. It is also plausible that they will not continue. I am waiting to hear more to make an informed decision on next steps. If they come out with a product roadmap and strategy, I will stick with Olympus (OM-D). If they do not, I will likely move on.

There has been a lot of speculation. It's all over the place, from cutting it up to slimming it (which Olympus can not do), to working together with other companies to diversify into web- and security cameras. We Don't Know.

What you can say for sure is that Olympus cameras are being sold with a discount; they are good cameras and JIP says they aim for the higher-end segment of the camera business.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,075
do you own many lenses?

Do you have many lenses?

if you have a lot of money already spent for additional lenses then get a new Oly body.

It will work well for a long time and you have postponed the decision to upgrade or not until some future time when the future of Oly will be clear.

If you dont have much in the way of additional lenses and especially if you're not the sort of person to buy many more then be a nomad. Buy whatever system suits your needs at the moment.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
unhappymeal Contributing Member • Posts: 804
Re: do you own many lenses?

linux99 wrote:

Do you have many lenses?

if you have a lot of money already spent for additional lenses then get a new Oly body.

It will work well for a long time and you have postponed the decision to upgrade or not until some future time when the future of Oly will be clear.

If you dont have much in the way of additional lenses and especially if you're not the sort of person to buy many more then be a nomad. Buy whatever system suits your needs at the moment.

I don't think it's that simple. I think the there are multiple questions that need to be asked when evaluating if one continues to spend money on m4/3:

1. Do you have additional lenses and do they suit your current and/or future needs at prices you can afford?

2. Does Olympus or Panasonic offer a body that will address your upgrade needs today?

If the answer to either question is 'no', then you need to ask a third question: are you confident that Olympus under JIP and/or Panasonic will develop the lenses and/or bodies you need in the future?

If the answer to the third question is 'no', then it's time to eat the cost of moving on to a new system. Note, these questions could be used for any system.

Edit: Fixed some grammatical errors.

plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,843

Switched to Olympus and Panasonic M 4/3 after tired of carrying larger Apsc Canon. Meets my needs for everything but fast moving action, but I don't have top models. No interest in moving to FF and see no significant advantage for me. Will keep using M 4/3 and a bit of apsc until it dies. Maybe by then a smartphone drop out.

greg

OP amit190 Regular Member • Posts: 440

unhappymeal wrote:

linux99 wrote:

Do you have many lenses?

I don't think it's that simple. I think the there are multiple questions that need to be asked when evaluating if one continues to spend money on m4/3:

1. Do you have additional lenses and do they suit your current and/or future needs at prices you can afford?

Well yes ,I have a pro zoom and 2 primes . It will be great to get a discounted pro prime ,Im sure deals will pop.

1. Does Olympus or Panasonic offer a body that will address your upgrade needs today?

Yes ,Im using an em10ii , so an upgrade to em5iii or em1ii-iii will bring better sensor and pdaf , also WR which is nice to have.

If the answer to either question is 'no', then you need to ask a third question: are you confident that Olympus under JIP and/or Panasonic will develop the lenses and/or bodies you need in the future?

If the answer to the third question is 'no', then it's time to eat the cost of moving on to a new system. Note, these questions could be used for any system.

But I also ask myself ,what if the format will die in the next few years? Maybe it will not be possible to sell the gear and upgrade?

amit190 wrote:

unhappymeal wrote:

linux99 wrote:

Do you have many lenses?

Well yes ,I have a pro zoom and 2 primes . It will be great to get a discounted pro prime ,Im sure deals will pop.

1. Does Olympus or Panasonic offer a body that will address your upgrade needs today?

Yes ,Im using an em10ii , so an upgrade to em5iii or em1ii-iii will bring better sensor and pdaf , also WR which is nice to have.

But I also ask myself ,what if the format will die in the next few years? Maybe it will not be possible to sell the gear and upgrade?

Does it matter if Panasonic and Olympus call it quits on m4/3 in the next few years? Your camera and lenses will not magically stop working. If you are really concerned about the long-term viability of your system, then the safest places to be would be Canon and Sony. Having said that, even Canon isn't a safe bet as they killed the FD mount after a decade with no legacy support and the whole camera industry is imploding.

I suppose Pentax would be the outlier, as they've kept the same mount for nearly 50 years, but they're more or less undead at this point.

techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

Panasonic did not just bring out a brand new $2000 cinematic box M4/3 camera to drop the format tomorrow.

They could have made this box camera in full frame - they have the mount, the sensor and the technology for a year - and they didn't.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more

techie takes pics wrote:

Panasonic did not just bring out a brand new $2000 cinematic box M4/3 camera to drop the format tomorrow.

They could have made this box camera in full frame - they have the mount, the sensor and the technology for a year - and they didn't.

Panasonic releasing the BGH1 is not the same as Panasonic continuing to develop bodies and lenses that are relative to stills shooters. Also, it's widely anticipated that Panasonic will release an L-mount cinema camera. There is too at risk by not having a unified mount moving forward.

Edit: By the way, where did I state that Panasonic was dropping m4/3? I simply outlined the questions the original poster needed to ask themselves to determine if m4/3 was worth spending more money on.

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,344

If you have a collection of M43 lenses then yes, buy a up to date body.  If you are not heavily invested in lenses I'm less sure.

Olympus is uncertain, Panasonic is a smaller vendor with its effort spent on two systems, with L mount consuming its main efforts.

M43 as a vlogging and video format seems one likely future.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more

a_c_skinner wrote:

If you have a collection of M43 lenses then yes, buy a up to date body. If you are not heavily invested in lenses I'm less sure.

Olympus is uncertain, Panasonic is a smaller vendor with its effort spent on two systems, with L mount consuming its main efforts.

M43 as a vlogging and video format seems one likely future.

That and if the "confidential sources" are to be believed, Sigma is not at all thrilled about Panasonic's pace with the L-mount and want to see a lot more bodies (especially in video) if they are going to continue. Panasonic offers video cameras for four mounts: L, PL, EF and m4/3. Meanwhile, their largest competitor offers one mount (Sony E) or two mounts that will soon be one mount (Canon RF and EF). That makes a huge difference when you are trying to outfit a media organization with video and stills equipment.

I suspect that partner from Sigma and the market will necessitate that Panasonic focuses on L moving forward.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads