DAM : Read/make use of old Picasa face tags

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Sebastian Cohen Forum Member • Posts: 75
DAM : Read/make use of old Picasa face tags

I spent AGES helping Picasa fine tune my face's library back in the day.

I did save face tags to the images and I would like to take advantage of these again, but am unsure which library/DAM software take advantage of these? I did some forum searching and didn't get the answer I was looking for. One was Phototheca, but one thing I'm not a fan of is skeuomorphism.

AnthonyL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,383
Re: DAM : Read/make use of old Picasa face tags

Sebastian Cohen wrote:

I've done the same on my Windows XP.  I'm now on a different machine with Win10.  Old Picasa still runs except it doesn't have the handy "upload" feature.

What I'd like to do is get my old face's library working on my new install.  It might not help that I've got images in a new location.

Apologies if this is jumping on your thread but it does seem well related.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,021

Sebastian Cohen wrote:

I did save face tags to the images and I would like to take advantage of these again, but am unsure which library/DAM software take advantage of these?

If by "save face tags to the images" you mean that tags were written to the JPG files, then any software should be able to reference them.   You can even search tags in Windows File Explorer by typing "tag:tagname" into the search box in the upper right corner.

To see if the JPG files have these tags, find one in Windows File Explorer, right-click it, select "Properties", then select the "Details" tab in the properties dialogue box.  If the file has tags they should be listed in the top "Description" section under "Tags".

Whichever software you end up choosing, make sure that it stores this kind of information in the image files themselves and not just in a proprietary data store.   It's this exact type of situation where you want to be able to choose different software where you discover just how bad proprietary storage can be.

Hans de Zomers Regular Member • Posts: 492

Sebastian Cohen wrote:

which library/DAM software take advantage of these?

Ages ago I also used Picasa on a subset of images. Picasa allows to to write faces to XMP. Afterwards the most popular DAM tools will read these faces. You could try this with Photo Supreme.

Hans de Zomers's gear list:Hans de Zomers's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS M50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads