Question about an SSD drive and docking station...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,770
Question about an SSD drive and docking station...

I have an older model USB 3.0 docking station. Could be 8 or 10 years old. It works fine when using a WD mechanical HD. But when I insert a Samsung 860 EVO SSD, the drive is not recognized by the pc. Acts as if the docking station is not connected.

I visited the docking station mfg site and downloaded the latest driver. But it didn't help. So, can any docking station work with a SSD? Or am I missing something?

BTW, I bought this SSD to replace a mechanical HD in my laptop. Samsung has Data Migration s.w. that I believe is installed on the new SSD (not really sure about that, the instructions are very vague). That's why I'm using the SSD and dock.

-- hide signature --

My best aviation photos: https://500px.com/kenfm2018

Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,715
Re: Question about an SSD drive and docking station...

BigBen08 wrote:

I have an older model USB 3.0 docking station. Could be 8 or 10 years old. It works fine when using a WD mechanical HD. But when I insert a Samsung 860 EVO SSD, the drive is not recognized by the pc. Acts as if the docking station is not connected.

I visited the docking station mfg site and downloaded the latest driver. But it didn't help. So, can any docking station work with a SSD? Or am I missing something?

BTW, I bought this SSD to replace a mechanical HD in my laptop. Samsung has Data Migration s.w. that I believe is installed on the new SSD (not really sure about that, the instructions are very vague). That's why I'm using the SSD and dock.

Try a regular USB external case for the SSD.  Then use the migration software and follow the onscreen prompts.  When the copy is complete, turn off your laptop and replace the HD with SSD.  Super simple.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
OP BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,770

Morris0 wrote:

BigBen08 wrote:

Try a regular USB external case for the SSD. Then use the migration software and follow the onscreen prompts. When the copy is complete, turn off your laptop and replace the HD with SSD. Super simple.

Morris

Yes, you are right.

After posting I did more research. What I didn't know is that my HD dock contains an electronic chip, which is not compatible with SSD drives. But I don't need a dock anyway. The instruction sheet included with the Samsung SSD shows a cable between pc and SSD. So I bought this...

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_4?crid=15VXATETZ09RN&dchild=1&keywords=hard+drive+cable+to+usb&qid=1603130214&s=pc&sprefix=hard+drive+cable%2Caps%2C349&sr=1-4

Thanks Morris, it should be super simple!

-- hide signature --

DonA2
DonA2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,656

BigBen08 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

BigBen08 wrote:

Try a regular USB external case for the SSD. Then use the migration software and follow the onscreen prompts. When the copy is complete, turn off your laptop and replace the HD with SSD. Super simple.

Morris

Yes, you are right.

After posting I did more research. What I didn't know is that my HD dock contains an electronic chip, which is not compatible with SSD drives. But I don't need a dock anyway. The instruction sheet included with the Samsung SSD shows a cable between pc and SSD. So I bought this...

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_4?crid=15VXATETZ09RN&dchild=1&keywords=hard+drive+cable+to+usb&qid=1603130214&s=pc&sprefix=hard+drive+cable%2Caps%2C349&sr=1-4

I too have a problem with a Seagate 500 gb SSD not being recognized by 3 computers. I have used the same SSD to USB2 cable to upgrade 3 computers from HDDs to SSDs. No problems. This one Seagate 500 SSD will not be recognized using any computer or any software, Windows, Acronis, Seagate and Macrium Reflect.

I have tried everything known without success so I am convinced this SSD is simply dead. I now use Crucial SSDs with their cloning software without problems.

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +2 more
OP BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,770

DonA2 wrote:

BigBen08 wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

BigBen08 wrote:

Morris

Yes, you are right.

I too have a problem with a Seagate 500 gb SSD not being recognized by 3 computers. I have used the same SSD to USB2 cable to upgrade 3 computers from HDDs to SSDs. No problems. This one Seagate 500 SSD will not be recognized using any computer or any software, Windows, Acronis, Seagate and Macrium Reflect.

I have tried everything known without success so I am convinced this SSD is simply dead. I now use Crucial SSDs with their cloning software without problems.

That's interesting, I'll keep that in mind.

-- hide signature --

Robert Zanatta Senior Member • Posts: 1,986

I have one of those and they work for laptop drives and SSDs.

With regards to SSDs, they are good for basic tasks, such as cloning, but I wouldn't use them long term on a specific drive as they do not support the TRIM command.

Robert Zanatta's gear list:Robert Zanatta's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,045

BigBen08 wrote:

The Samsung Data Migration program can be downloaded from their site if it's not on the SSD, it's easy to use. I have a second Samsung SSD in my desktop, the same model as as my primary C drive. I routinely use the program to clone the C drive so its bootable in the event of a C drive failure.

Cheers,
Doug

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads