OMD E-M1 ii Front Dial - Stiff Vague Mushy Rubbery, Is this normal?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
HalftoneDot New Member • Posts: 6
OMD E-M1 ii Front Dial - Stiff Vague Mushy Rubbery, Is this normal?

Bought an E-M1 Mark ii to take advantage of recent PRO Lens offer.

However, the Front Dial has a completely different feel to Rear Dial. The front is stiff vague and imprecise in operation, with poor tactile feel. Both front and rear sound just as loud.

For comparison, I Also Have an E-M1 i, E-M10 i, 2x ii and iii - and these all had same feel and response between their front and rear dials (no difference felt). Also have number of Canon EOS 1 series cameras, and dials again feel same, front and rear, both landscape or portrait orientation, no difference between each dial on these cameras..

Rear dial is fine on this new EM1 ii and the rear dial, feels just like the front & rear dial on E-M1 mk I.

Any thoughts ?? Is the difference there for a reason on EM1 ii, but not on the others ?? Or could rubber weather sealing be out of place and rubbing, or does it have an internal tension/resistance adjustment for the dial ?? Or is some over librication the cause ??

if it’s a wrongly fitted weather seal, I may not be able to enjoy a shower with it - without front dial leaking.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 38,134
Re: OMD E-M1 ii Front Dial - Stiff Vague Mushy Rubbery, Is this normal?

I really did not notice the difference but since you pointed it out, yes, the front dial on the 1ii is much stiffer than the rear dial, unlike the 1i.

Andrew

WhyNot
WhyNot Veteran Member • Posts: 9,749

My impression of my M1.2 is that the dials are about the same. They have “positive” movement, “stiffer” than the M10.2 (that I have) where the dials more freely move or are fidgety as I describe them. The M10.2 dials move freely enough that I need to check settings between every pause in usage on the same trip where I have the camera in hand continuously. I rarely have accidental dial movement on the M1.2. The M1.1. Is a completely different story as the rear dial had a distinct problem of spinning without changing settings and front occasionally. Since fixed they have the same positive feel that I find on the M1.2 … Just for anyone else interested, my M5.3 dials are a bit stiffer than the M1.2 and being smaller they are a bit harder to turn but I really don't mind. .... Just a user experience to add to others who may respond. Not sure how this helps or confuses your issue as all usage/handling is very subjective ...

Stay Well ...

WhyNot

spider-mario
spider-mario Contributing Member • Posts: 657

I can’t tell for sure whether what I experience matches what you are describing, but I can at least say that the front dial of my E-M1 II feels quite a bit softer than on my E-M1 III. (And I think I prefer how it was on the II.)

spider-mario's gear list:spider-mario's gear list
Canon G1 X III Olympus TG-6 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Canon EOS R6 +16 more
Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 7,491

HalftoneDot wrote:

Bought an E-M1 Mark ii to take advantage of recent PRO Lens offer.

However, the Front Dial has a completely different feel to Rear Dial. The front is stiff vague and imprecise in operation, with poor tactile feel. Both front and rear sound just as loud.

For comparison, I Also Have an E-M1 i, E-M10 i, 2x ii and iii - and these all had same feel and response between their front and rear dials (no difference felt). Also have number of Canon EOS 1 series cameras, and dials again feel same, front and rear, both landscape or portrait orientation, no difference between each dial on these cameras..

Rear dial is fine on this new EM1 ii and the rear dial, feels just like the front & rear dial on E-M1 mk I.

Any thoughts ?? Is the difference there for a reason on EM1 ii, but not on the others ?? Or could rubber weather sealing be out of place and rubbing, or does it have an internal tension/resistance adjustment for the dial ?? Or is some over librication the cause ??

if it’s a wrongly fitted weather seal, I may not be able to enjoy a shower with it - without front dial leaking.

My experience is that individual examples of the E-M1 Mark II do vary in the feel of the front control dial (from new). I've come across examples where the front dial either feels similar to the rear one, or is looser (easier to turn, with less obvious click stops and a little play). However, all have worked without problem.

Samuel Dilworth
Samuel Dilworth Contributing Member • Posts: 716

HalftoneDot wrote:

For comparison, I Also Have an E-M1 i, E-M10 i, 2x ii and iii - and these all had same feel and response between their front and rear dials (no difference felt).

However, my E-M10 Mark II has a much stiffer front dial than rear dial. The front one requires substantially more force to turn, and more of the force is wasted on friction rather than an over-centre cam action / springiness / click, so the dial feels more likely to stick between click positions.

This lends weight to Helen’s observation in another post that cameras vary on an example-by-example basis.

OP HalftoneDot New Member • Posts: 6
Is this normal? Appears So.

Thank you for responses.

Seems it’s an intentional design change on Mark 2, which Olympus has undone on the Mark 3. Not 100% convinced it was intended before it was identified by users as a feature.

Why design/manufacture would deliberately make the front dial feel more ‘smooth’ and the rear dial more ‘defined’, escapes my logic.

I’ve played with multiple bodies now, all of which the front dial feels more vague, less precise, when compared to the rear dial. Age and use may be a factor. On some the difference is more pronounced, on some it’s less pronounced. No one reports a reliability problem with the Mark 2 front dials, or Rear for that matter.

Not aware of another camera body that deliberately engineered difference of feel in this way.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads