Would random people feel more comfortable photograph if the Photographer uses a smartphone?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
John Fantastic Regular Member • Posts: 128
Would random people feel more comfortable photograph if the Photographer uses a smartphone?

I have noticed that people stare at me some of them angry looks when I shoot street photography with my DSLR, but they don't seem to notice or care if i use my smartphone. Do you guys have the same experience?

Lars Luciano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,485
Re: Would random people feel more comfortable photograph if the Photographer uses a smartphone?

Because general society is using phones people are getting used to them and bigger cameras are getting the dinosaurs status - maybe you are wright.

Lars Luciano's gear list:Lars Luciano's gear list
Olympus SP-350 Panasonic ZS100 +2 more
OP John Fantastic Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: Would random people feel more comfortable photograph if the Photographer uses a smartphone?

Even in the malls, security people seem to be bothered by photographers with a DSLR or a "large camera" than by cellphones.

Stevan G Contributing Member • Posts: 623

just get P1000 and they won't even see you

(unknown member) Junior Member • Posts: 35

John Fantastic wrote:

I have noticed that people stare at me some of them angry looks when I shoot street photography with my DSLR, but they don't seem to notice or care if i use my smartphone.

Most younger people have NEVER seen a DSLR—maybe they think it's some kind of weapon. Many older people think that taking a photo, of someone you do NOT know, is impolite.

With many people always having their phone in their hand, instead of their pocket, it's hard to tell if they are texting or playing Packman Go. Also with both front and back cameras, many may assume that you are taking a selfie.

Stevan G wrote:

And just carry 1.5kg with you 😉

Stevan G Contributing Member • Posts: 623

Lars Luciano wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

I carry it around my neck for hours withot any problem, DSLRs also aren't light, especially with zoom lenses.

Stevan G wrote:

Lars Luciano wrote:

Stevan G wrote:

I carry it around my neck for hours withot any problem, DSLRs also aren't light, especially with zoom lenses.

I respect other people's opinions but for me big gear with low image quality is a no go for several years now. But I do know cameras like P1000 can get you really close and are able to get interesting shots. But we are getting off the main topic here (off the original post). Greetings

Jimmy K.
Jimmy K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,086

John Fantastic wrote:

Even in the malls, security people seem to be bothered by photographers with a DSLR or a "large camera" than by cellphones.

Because most of cell phone camera users are taking selfies, rather than taking photos of others 

Jimmy K.'s gear list:Jimmy K.'s gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
OP John Fantastic Regular Member • Posts: 128

Jimmy K. wrote:

John Fantastic wrote:

Because most of cell phone camera users are taking selfies, rather than taking photos of others

+1 Agree Jimmy K.

jaberg
jaberg Forum Member • Posts: 61

I’ve found this cuts both ways. Sometimes its great to be a fly on the wall with a camera phone. Other times a dedicated camera grants a certain amount of gravitas to the bearer and it can lead to conversations, access and photographs that couldn’t have been made by the anonymous smartphone shooter. Both are effective tools for what they are, and both have a place in my quiver.

jaberg's gear list:jaberg's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Apple iPad Pro
Drzewoid Regular Member • Posts: 377

In my opinion people don't like when random person taking photos of them - worst choice is dlsr or any professional camera, phone is not perfect too - all people see this clear. From my observations the best device to taking photos and be invisible is Sony RX0 - it's fast, extremely small and almost nobody see when you take photos 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads