Lens recommandation ?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
shrekman300 New Member • Posts: 2
Lens recommandation ?

Hi,

I need help about two lens choices I need to make.

First : i shoot a Nikon Z7 and do a lot of landscape photography. I noticed recently that my widest prime (20mm 1.8G) (i mainly shoot primes) is both not wide enough for some compositions, and rather unsharp on the corners.

-- hide signature --

> I need advice on a replacement. Either a prime between 15 and 20mm, or rather a zoom that covers those focals. It needs to have good corner sharpness, at least better than the 20mm 1.8G. And it needs not to be a top of the line very expensive lens. This means under 1000 dollars/euros.

Second : I used up to now a 35mm 1.8G and a 50mm 1.8G as my replacements for a standard zoom. I really like their sharpness. But to be honest i'd like to have a zoom instead of them now. Everyone seem to like the Z 24-70 F4, plus it is rather inexpensive and light.

----> Is it at least as sharp at those focals as my primes (hard to find online), or sharper ? And how bad is the distortion ? I know nikon automatically fixes it, and i'm not bothered by straight lines becoming weird, but rather by a possible degradation of sharpness on the sides/corners.

I print quite a lot and often compose my shots with important elements in the corners, which is why sharpness there is important to me.

Thanks for your help !

Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,388
Re: Lens recommandation ?

I think that you will be more likely to get answers if you post on the Nikon SLR Lens Talk forum or the Nikon R Mirrorless forum.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
jkokura Regular Member • Posts: 114

shrekman300 wrote:

Hi,

I need help about two lens choices I need to make.

First : i shoot a Nikon Z7 and do a lot of landscape photography. I noticed recently that my widest prime (20mm 1.8G) (i mainly shoot primes) is both not wide enough for some compositions, and rather unsharp on the corners.

I think your only options at this point include the 12-24mm 2.8 Zoom, or adapting something from the F mount options. Since Nikon doesn't produce a wider Z prime, and since none of the 3rd parties have started producing them for the Z bodies, those are your only options.

The 12-24 2.8 S lens is very, very well regarded so far. The reviews I've seen say it's the best wide angle zoom Nikon has ever done, and it's likely as good or better than the Sony/Canon options. Cost is very high on this one, and I don't know about availability.

The F mount options are coming down in price. The Sigma 14mm is probably a good option for you, unless you use filters. I think there are some Samyang/Rokinon lenses you could try for pretty cheap, but if you struggle with the IQ of the Nikon Z 20mm, those lenses might not be for you. Perhaps the Tamron 15-30mm 2.8 G2?

Jacob

jkokura's gear list:jkokura's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
rdavy Regular Member • Posts: 366

The 14-30mm Z lens should probably go on the list too. There is a comparison against the 20mm 1.8G here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62777961

rdavy's gear list:rdavy's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300
Jeff_0000 Contributing Member • Posts: 533

Money no object: Nikkor 14-24 2.8 S - surprisingly lightweight, excellent image quality (not sure if it can surpass the Sigma though), sunstar rendition is the best out of all three.

Lightweight and compact choice: Nikkor 14-30 f4. image quality is good but not as good as Sigma. Sunstar rendition is mediocre. However, it can take standard 82mm filter and 100mm square filter system right now. This is the biggest advantage of 14-30.

Best value overall: Sigma 14-24 f2.8. Excellent image quality (albeit less flare resistant), price is the least expensive among all three lenses. Sunstar rendition is mediocre, weight is heavy and the lens does not accept circular and 100mm filters.

If you use filters very often, then the reasonable choices will be Nikon 14-30 / 14-24 2.8 S. If you also shoot astrophotography, then Sigma 14-24 and Nikon 14-24 S are probably the better options (better than Nikon 20 1.8 I believe).

Jeff_0000's gear list:Jeff_0000's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads