Shooting the Milky Way with Canon Powershot G7X Mark ii

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
FishBoy1234 New Member • Posts: 12
Shooting the Milky Way with Canon Powershot G7X Mark ii

Hi all!

I have been messing around with milky way photography for about two weeks, and I am having lots of fun experimenting with settings and new locations. I am using my Canon Powershot G7X Mark ii, and I think I got my first good shots of the milky way. Give me any comments, tips, or feedback on my photos.

Taken with an ISO of 1600, 13 second shutter speed, aperture of f1.8, and edited in Darktable.

Taken with an ISO of 1600, 13 second shutter speed, aperature of f1.8, and edited in Darktable.

Canon PowerShot G7 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PhotoRaw Contributing Member • Posts: 521
Re: Shooting the Milky Way with Canon Powershot G7X Mark ii

@FishBoy1234,

Excellent!

Thanks for sharing!

OP FishBoy1234 New Member • Posts: 12

Thanks!

requa
requa Contributing Member • Posts: 768

I like the shots -- I wish my night sky were a bit darker than it is -- but I'm confused about one thing. The exif data says ISO 640 on both shots, but you indicated 1600. Can you confirm which was in effect?

requa's gear list:requa's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-870 Canon G5 X II

Ya, sorry about that. I was confused and thinking of a different photo. They were taken at ISO 640.

Thanks for the comment!

bmike
bmike Senior Member • Posts: 2,366

Are you shooting RAW?

Try iso 1600, aperture as wide as it goes, maybe 6-8 second exposure, and take 10-20 images, then stack them to knock down the noise. Quite a few options for software (paid and free) depending on software platform.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes I am shooting raw. I was shooting with my aperture as wide as possible, but these were just single shots.

What free software would you recommend for image stacking. I tried to use gimp but found it confusing.

bmike

FishBoy1234 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes I am shooting raw. I was shooting with my aperture as wide as possible, but these were just single shots.

What free software would you recommend for image stacking. I tried to use gimp but found it confusing.

Ps (and I assume GIMP) don’t handle stars with landscape very well. You can try to mask out the landscape first, then combine later... but it takes some skill. I have manually stacked comet photos in Ps.

I’m on a Mac and use Starry Sky Stacker and Starry Landscape Stacker as well as Photoshop  (all paid).

On PC I think you can find Sequator, Deep Sky Stacker, SiriL - not sure which ones are free.

Ok. Thanks!

acollins Junior Member • Posts: 35

Those are very nice, impressive shots! You've inspired me to try the same with mine!

Andy

acollins's gear list:acollins's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +6 more

Thanks!

Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 1,166

Excellent :)))

FishBoy1234 wrote:

Hi all!

I have been messing around with milky way photography for about two weeks, and I am having lots of fun experimenting with settings and new locations. I am using my Canon Powershot G7X Mark ii, and I think I got my first good shots of the milky way. Give me any comments, tips, or feedback on my photos.

Taken with an ISO of 1600, 13 second shutter speed, aperture of f1.8, and edited in Darktable.

Taken with an ISO of 1600, 13 second shutter speed, aperature of f1.8, and edited in Darktable.

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM

Thank you!

Hello again!

Just tried stacking photos with Sequator and it worked super well. But because the powershot G7X isn't the best milky way camera, I had to align the stars which made the ground blurry. Still though, super happy with my results of the milky way.

This was a series of ten photos that I stacked with Sequator.

admwright Regular Member • Posts: 268

The stars are looking good. I will need t try with my G7Xii.

To get the foreground sharp you should merge the 'star' image with one image for the foreground. The foreground image can be one with better exposure to reduce the silhouette if you like.

-- hide signature --

All the best
Andrew W.

bmike

FishBoy1234 wrote:

Hello again!

Just tried stacking photos with Sequator and it worked super well. But because the powershot G7X isn't the best milky way camera, I had to align the stars which made the ground blurry. Still though, super happy with my results of the milky way.

This was a series of ten photos that I stacked with Sequator.

Yes, the ground should be blurry, if you stack the stars. Next time out take a nice long exposure of the foreground, maybe during blue hour or as the moons sets, then blend that with your stacked shots. You will also be able to stretch the sky to bring out more detail - the more you stack, the more you can push...

Ok. Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads