16/2.8 and 16/1.4 - Comparison image pair - Thoughts?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
CeeDave
CeeDave Senior Member • Posts: 1,848
Re: 16/2.8 and 16/1.4 - Comparison image pair - Sharpness

Erik,

I noticed the ⅓ stop difference in shutter speed in the EXIF for the f/1.4, too. I think it’s possible that’s the cause of the darker shadow areas for the f/2.8 lens, and the remarks on contrast differences. Then again, there may be a difference of (at least near) that size in the actual versus nominal apertures of the two lenses.

Rod, thanks for the comparison. If I didn’t already have the faster lens, I’d definitely consider the smaller, cheaper f/2.8 version.

All the best.

-- hide signature --

Chris
Striving to make the quotidian quotable.

CeeDave's gear list:CeeDave's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +10 more
OP Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,241
Re: 16/2.8 and 16/1.4 - Comparison image pair - Thoughts?

Hi,

I bought the 16/1.4,  23/1.4 and 35/1.4 when they were the only options for those FLs.   Fuji hadn't even announced the f2s.....  I agree that faced with the choice today, the primary distinctions are the aperture v. size and weight.  Of the three, the only FL where the choice doesn't make a lot of difference is 35mm.  Objectively, the 35/1.4 is bigger and heavier, but not by anywhere near as much as the 16mm and 23mm.

I'll also post a comparison pair from the 23mm's when I get around to it.  My experience thus far is that they too are fairly similar at middle apertures -  I'd give an advantage by a whisker to the 23/1.4 when viewed at 200%, but at 100% it would be very hard to tell.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +14 more
oscarvdvelde Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

The SOOC JPEGs may muddle the differences (I find them unsightly at 100%!) and also there may be distortion correction, it could be interesting to have them go through a proper raw conversion like ART (fork of RawTherapee) - unless you only ever use JPEGs.

oscarvdvelde's gear list:oscarvdvelde's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Samyang 50mm F1.2 +4 more
OP Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,241

Hi Oscar,

I'm mostly a jpeg user.  When I started with Fuji back in 2014, ACR was lousy for X trans, good alternatives hadn't become available, the "worms" discussion was in full swing.  Quite a few people reckoned they couldn't do better than Fuji's jpegs anyway.   I got sick of the debate and never felt that the jpegs weren't good enough for modest prints.  Jpegs also allow usage of the film sims.  And the suite of mods that can be done with jpegs suited my minimal intervention tastes.  I do acknowledge that more detail might be obtainable via raw.  I'm no expert at PP, so I'll get my son to help me extract the best from a few.  When I get time....

It will actually be interesting to see whether raw processing affects either lens differently - it shouldn't - if it's better for one, and the same PP is applied, it should surely be better for both?  We'll see.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +14 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,008

From my experience with both lenses, they are very similar in results. I went with the f/1.4 but that is because I don't mind carrying the larger lens. In your case, the smaller lens makes more sense.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Valdai21 Regular Member • Posts: 278

I own both. 
I rarely shoot f/1,4 with the f/1,4 thought the effect can be nice.

The f/2,8 version is amazingly small and it's a very nice lens. Hovewer when post processing, I see the f/1,4 version is a bit sharper in the borders and corners even stopped down, especially on 24mpix.

Both are good lenses and I couldn't tell the difference in real use but when pixel peeping, the f/2,8 is very good whereas the f/1,4 is outstanding. Same with 23mm f/2 vs f/1,4.

JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,776

I see people in the thread claiming the 16/2.8 photo has darker shadows and is more contrasty? Well, the whole photo is actually slightly darker, but that's most likely due to the difference in shutter speed..

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads