Trouble with my DP2Q

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Ovid46 Regular Member • Posts: 164
Trouble with my DP2Q

Hi All.

Have had trouble with the 5 year old DP2Q. The wheels on the top go around  and the fStop and shutter speed go berserk. Sent the camera to 'Japan Camera Repair' in Atlanta Ga. for repair. Got the camera back, took a dozen pictures and it worked fine. Put it away for 3 months and just tried it again (and again) and it has the same malfunctions.

I've seen some previous posts about this problem. Am wondering if anyone had their camera repaired and what the results were. I did try cleaning it as someone suggested, but it was only a temporary fix.

Any suggestions or comments most welcome.

Richard

Sigma dp2 Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
victorgv Senior Member • Posts: 1,919
Re: Trouble with my DP2Q

Ovid46 wrote:

Hi All.

Have had trouble with the 5 year old DP2Q. The wheels on the top go around and the fStop and shutter speed go berserk. Sent the camera to 'Japan Camera Repair' in Atlanta Ga. for repair. Got the camera back, took a dozen pictures and it worked fine. Put it away for 3 months and just tried it again (and again) and it has the same malfunctions.

I've seen some previous posts about this problem. Am wondering if anyone had their camera repaired and what the results were. I did try cleaning it as someone suggested, but it was only a temporary fix.

Richard

I took it apart , bend contacts slightly! so they would move out of groove and will pressure contact pads slightly more and cleaned/lubricated it with "contact pro gold" .

Never since.

victorgv's gear list:victorgv's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma sd Quattro H
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,254

victorgv wrote:

Ovid46 wrote:

Hi All.

Have had trouble with the 5 year old DP2Q. The wheels on the top go around and the fStop and shutter speed go berserk. Sent the camera to 'Japan Camera Repair' in Atlanta Ga. for repair. Got the camera back, took a dozen pictures and it worked fine. Put it away for 3 months and just tried it again (and again) and it has the same malfunctions.

Richard

I took it apart , bend contacts slightly! so they would move out of groove and will pressure contact pads slightly more and cleaned/lubricated it with "contact pro gold" .

Never since.

I have tools and Caig F-series Fader Deoxit liquid.  Taking apart my dp0q is a little bit scary for me.  Is it difficult?

I've so far been able to remedy the dial intermittencies by rotating the dials with power off.  Rotate them at least 25 times.  This improves things temporarily.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 6,898
Before you take it apart...

try deoxit dn5 and deoxit gold gn5.  just spray the gn5 first and try the dials for a while, sometimes that's enough. Spray them into the underside of the dial and turn it rapidly to make sure it is cleaning the contacts.  If gn5 doesn't do the trick then use dn5 in addition or perhaps use use dn5.  I've had the problem on multiple Merrills and Quattros and deoxit has always worked.  Quattros seem to be more stubborn and that's why I bought the dn5 later.

-- hide signature --

"Laoma shitu" "An old horse knows the road" Chinese Proverb                                        "Dao ke dao, fei chang dao. Ming ke ming, fei chang ming" Laozi
"At every crossroads on the path that leads to the future, tradition has placed 10,000 men to guard the past."
Maurice Maeterlinck

cliffordjnr Regular Member • Posts: 253

i have the same problem with my dp1q

usually i spray in wd40 contact cleaner and it works for about a week or so but always reverts back.

it drives me mad tho because i miss various shots while trying to change my shutter speed and it goes the opposite way.

northernfromNorth Junior Member • Posts: 28

It happens also on the DP3m I have, and I think it is due to air pollution. I used to have it always with me in the car, on the front passenger seat.

When you are done with cleaning, try to store it in a camera bag, and in a place without much car exhaust, or gas heating exhaust, etc. Aircraft exhaust too may be corrosive, and probably ozone from copiers or laser printers.

Also, turn the dial(s) at least once a week, powered and not powered, on all positions.

There is a tarnish on the electrical contacts, from the many things around us, and it needs to be at least displaced by handling.

Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,429

Ovid46 wrote:

Hi All.

Richard

Richard,

Spin the dials regularly with the power off to keep the contacts clean. Lack of use is the main cause of the problem.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD15 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD10 +5 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,254

cliffordjnr wrote:

usually i spray in wd40 contact cleaner and it works for about a week or so but always reverts back.

it drives me mad tho because i miss various shots while trying to change my shutter speed and it goes the opposite way.

As for spraying anything into the camera, I'd be worried about some of that spray making its way to the lens or sensor.  So, I've never sprayed stuff on or into my dp0q.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,221

Happens regularly for DPM and DPQ lines. I squirt a drop of alcohol on the edges. A temporary fix though. There is some kind of dial cleaner that I understand works well.

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

Ceistinne wrote:

Ovid46 wrote:

Hi All.

Richard

Richard,

Spin the dials regularly with the power off to keep the contacts clean. Lack of use is the main cause of the problem.

S

not so if my problem is anything to go by. i use the camera every day pretty much. and in manual so im always moving the dials.

Tom Schum wrote:

cliffordjnr wrote:

As for spraying anything into the camera, I'd be worried about some of that spray making its way to the lens or sensor. So, I've never sprayed stuff on or into my dp0q.

its contact cleaner that evaporates with no residue according to the can.

im not sure what else you suggest i do? if i dont clean the dials the camera would be unusable due to the severity of the problem when it occurs.

Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,429

cliffordjnr wrote:

Ceistinne wrote:

Ovid46 wrote:

Hi All.

Richard

Richard,

S

not so if my problem is anything to go by. i use the camera every day pretty much. and in manual so im always moving the dials.

cliffordjnr,

In that case maybe wear is the problem. Why not send it to Sigma Repair Ctr. They will have the parts , hopefully.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD15 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD10 +5 more
victorgv Senior Member • Posts: 1,919

Tom Schum wrote:

victorgv wrote:

Ovid46 wrote:

Hi All.

Richard

Never since.

I have tools and Caig F-series Fader Deoxit liquid. Taking apart my dp0q is a little bit scary for me. Is it difficult?

I've so far been able to remedy the dial intermittencies by rotating the dials with power off. Rotate them at least 25 times. This improves things temporarily.

Medium lots of screws and flat cables to disconnect.  Doable but scary and you need steady hands. Mine survived four taking apart.

victorgv's gear list:victorgv's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma sd Quattro H

Ceistinne wrote:

cliffordjnr wrote:

Ceistinne wrote:

Ovid46 wrote:

Hi All.

Richard

Richard,

S

cliffordjnr,

In that case maybe wear is the problem. Why not send it to Sigma Repair Ctr. They will have the parts , hopefully.

S

ive sent the same camera to them in the past for a lens problem. sigma uk told me they didnt have the parts to open the camera so it went to japan. was expensive and took time.

id rather just persist with the contact cleaner solution as it i works for a few weeks sometimes.

OP Ovid46 Regular Member • Posts: 164

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions and personal experiences.

Just spoke with Sigma tech in N.Y. "Fred" said he had no reports of this trouble. Asked him for guidance for what I should do and in essence he declined. Said to send it back to Japan Camera Repair in Atlanta and have them try to fix it again.

Was hoping to avoid this merry-go-round but I guess I'll have to give it another go.

Richard

dsteiner Regular Member • Posts: 410

I am glad to find this post! My DP2Q has exactly the same problem ... it started end of last year and beginning of this year I contacted Sigma UK about it and they said they would have to send it to Japan. Considering this camera is 5 years old I hesitated to spend more than £100 to have it repaired (as much as I like it). I will give the suggestions mentioned in this thread a try (wd40 etc) and see if this helps.

dsteiner wrote:

I am glad to find this post! My DP2Q has exactly the same problem ... it started end of last year and beginning of this year I contacted Sigma UK about it and they said they would have to send it to Japan. Considering this camera is 5 years old I hesitated to spend more than £100 to have it repaired (as much as I like it). I will give the suggestions mentioned in this thread a try (wd40 etc) and see if this helps.

hi - please dont use regular wd40 itll wreck the camera. they have a special contact cleaner version and that is what im using.

however i have heard deoxit is better but its a lot more expensive.

https://www.wd40.com/products/contact-cleaner/

dsteiner Regular Member • Posts: 410

Thanks a lot for the heads-up! I just put my order in for the regular wd40 ... I'll try to cancel it.

TGallant Junior Member • Posts: 28

I use the following which cleans well without leaving any residue. This is an inherent problem with the DPQ series. The way the rotating buttons are built into the camera body probably invites dust and oils from your fingers.

MG Chemicals 824 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol Electronics Cleaner, 15.9 oz Aerosol

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads