Canon 5ds Lens Calibration Question

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
That Tech Guy Junior Member • Posts: 33
Canon 5ds Lens Calibration Question

Hey Yall,

The Canon 5DS just went from $3500 to $1234.05 at B&H so I picked one up. Coming from a mirrorless camera to this beast, I have been hearing about lens calibration with DSLR's.

This is a first for me. Noob here yes. lol. Anyway, has anyone had to do this? With this camera or any other Canon? I am interested in your experiences and if this is a hassle.

Thanks,

Chris

Canon EOS 5DS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 14,153
Re: Canon 5ds Lens Calibration Question

Yes, and I needed to do with every Canon, Sigma, and Tamron lens I used on my Canon EOS 5DS and 1D X and every other Canon and Nikon DSLR I used that had greater than 24mp resolution.

it’s not necessary if you are using the camera on a tripod and using the live view system but if you are using the viewfinder it’s a must.

I use the LensAlign Mark III target and GocusTune software for setting autofocus micro-adjust

it was the late (and great) Chuck Westfall of Canon who explained to me why it was necessary, urged me to do it and then initially helped me through the process.

The reason why it is necessary is simple: every camera body and every lens are unique, complex systems and  no two cameras and no two lenses are exactly alike. The AFMA process tuned the body’s AF system to the lens. Chuck also recommended doing it one stop down from wide open.

Sigma and Tamron’s process tunes the lens instead of the camera body and can be much more comprehensive as their method allows you to tune the AF performance at different distances and with zooms at different focal length settings.

this is the best way to get the best image quality (in terms of focus) from both the camera and lens.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
Professional photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +1 more
OP That Tech Guy Junior Member • Posts: 33

OK.  The live view is most like what I will be using since I am mainly landscape.  SO no calibration, just to be clear?

Is the calibration only for AF?  What about MF?  Would the lens be unfocusable even in MF?

Ellis Vener

That Tech Guy wrote:

OK. The live view is most like what I will be using since I am mainly landscape. SO no calibration, just to be clear?

that is my experience. live view focusing is similar  to using a ground glass on a view camera but better as you can magnify any section on the screen and unlike with film, you are using the actual recording medium (the sensor)  and not a ground glass that is in the same plane as where the film will be.

Is the calibration only for AF?

Yes, AF for the reflex viewing system.

What about MF?

strictly it’s for AF.

Would the lens be unfocusable even in MF?

No.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

This sounds like a mirrorless camera would not even have to be calibrated, would this be a correct assumption?

Ellis Vener

That Tech Guy wrote:

This sounds like a mirrorless camera would not even have to be calibrated, would this be a correct assumption?

In my experience (with Canon EOS R, Nikon Z6 and Z7, and Sony A7R III and A7R IV systems) that is true. But I have read a very few reports where people did use the feature on their cameras and saw improvements.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

ok.  Thank you for you help on this.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads