Z5 vs. Z6

Started Oct 14, 2020 | Discussions
Tomsop New Member • Posts: 16
Z5 vs. Z6

People say don't get the Z6 for video - if that is the case - why not choose Z5 over Z6 - I ask to find out what I give up by going with Z5 over Z6 or even Z6ii since if I don't have either might as well get the Z6ii over z6. So I guess if I am doing mainly photos and just some photos is z6ii worth it over Z5 for this type of use?

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Tomsop New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Z5 vs. Z6

I meant if I mainly shoot photos and only some videos - what is best bang for buck Z5 or Z6ii?

George Paulides Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

Tomsop wrote:

People say don't get the Z6 for video - if that is the case - why not choose Z5 over Z6...

If you primarily shoot video then you should get the Z6 I/II over the Z5. If you shoot photos mainly then the Z5 would be sufficient.

beatboxa Veteran Member • Posts: 7,963

Tomsop wrote:

People say don't get the Z6 for video...

People are wrong.

But basically:

• Z5 for low-cost, slower-subject skills
  • Z6ii for faster subjects + video
z2122
z2122 Senior Member • Posts: 1,689

I like the top OLED a lot on the Z6. I would get a Z6 if you want ro save money - maybe there will be a lot if used Z6 from users who switg to the Z6II...

-- hide signature --

catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +9 more
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,905

Tomsop wrote:

People say don't get the Z6 for video - if that is the case - why not choose Z5 over Z6 - I ask to find out what I give up by going with Z5 over Z6 or even Z6ii since if I don't have either might as well get the Z6ii over z6. So I guess if I am doing mainly photos and just some photos is z6ii worth it over Z5 for this type of use?

If you ever want to get into shooting time lapses the Z5 is probably the better choice over the Z6, mainly because the camera can be powered by a USB power bank while charging the battery. It can also render 4k 30p time lapse videos while simultaneously keeping the individual picture files separate. Both of these features are not available on the Z6.

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Tim Kamppinen Regular Member • Posts: 133

I'm a wedding photographer - I have the Z5 and I just ordered the Z6II.

I would say if you need to shoot fast action or if you shoot a lot in low light, get the Z6II.
The low light / high ISO image quality isn't bad on the Z5 (same as the D750) but it's a little better on the Z6 and will be on the Z6II (maybe even bigger difference depending on if they worked any magic with the dual processor).
But more important than that, the Z6II can focus in light that's 2.5 stops less than the Z5, which should make a big difference if you shoot in low light (like a wedding reception).

OP Tomsop New Member • Posts: 16

Thanks - that's a good thing to keep in mind about the low light differences. Thanks everyone for the input.

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,571
Not sure who would say that about the Z6, it's a very good video camera

One of the best. The Z6 should be dropping in price, so should the Z5, the rest depends on your needs and budget.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads