how BIG is Iphone 12 PRO sensor to achieve (1.7um PIXEL)???

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,872
how BIG is Iphone 12 PRO sensor to achieve (1.7um PIXEL)???

For clarification, I am not talking about megapixels, since all premium smartphone wisely capped it @12mp. I am trying to find out HOW BIG the SENSOR size is for Iphone 12 to achieve a 1.7um. Here is an image:

As I recalled Fullframe 12mp Sony A7Sii has the BIGGEST 8.4um, on a 12mp resolution.

For Apple to achieve a 1.7um on the same 12mp resolution, I wonder how BIG the actual sensor is?

is this sensor available on the smaller & cheaper $699 Iphone 12?

or is it Exclusive to the most expensive $999 PRO models?

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Johan Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,187
Re: how BIG is Iphone 12 PRO sensor to achieve (1.7um PIXEL)???

007peter wrote:

For clarification, I am not talking about megapixels, since all premium smartphone wisely capped it @12mp. I am trying to find out HOW BIG the SENSOR size is for Iphone 12 to achieve a 1.7um. Here is an image:

It's about half the size of the main sensor on the Samsung Note 20 Ultra, which bins 9 pixels in its low-resolution 12mp mode to the equivalent of 2.4µm per output pixel.

Johan Borg's gear list:Johan Borg's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma fp Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,564

007peter wrote:

For Apple to achieve a 1.7um on the same 12mp resolution, I wonder how BIG the actual sensor is?

I couldn't see what aspect ratio the sensor is. If it's 3:2, then it would be 7.2mm X 4.8mm to have 12MP with 1.7µm pixels. If it's 4:3, then it would be 6.8mm X 5.1mm.

So it's around the size of a 1/2" sensor.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 2,460

Leonard Migliore wrote:

007peter wrote:

For Apple to achieve a 1.7um on the same 12mp resolution, I wonder how BIG the actual sensor is?

I couldn't see what aspect ratio the sensor is. If it's 3:2, then it would be 7.2mm X 4.8mm to have 12MP with 1.7µm pixels. If it's 4:3, then it would be 6.8mm X 5.1mm.

That's close to what I approximated as well.

I could find the sensor sizes for older iPhone models but curiously not for the new ones?

1/2" isn't that impressive for 2020 and at this price point, although I suspect with Apple's image processing it will still produce decent photos (for a phone).

Although GSMarena says the the sensor is 1/1.7" which is significantly larger than 1/2", could be a mistake?

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
FastStone Photo Resizer Paint.net
onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 2,460

007peter wrote:

For clarification, I am not talking about megapixels, since all premium smartphone wisely capped it @12mp.

Not really true, but I don't think it matters much either way.

As I recalled Fullframe 12mp Sony A7Sii has the BIGGEST 8.4um, on a 12mp resolution.

is this sensor available on the smaller & cheaper $699 Iphone 12?

or is it Exclusive to the most expensive $999 PRO models?

As far as I can tell, only the iPhone 12 PRO MAX has the larger sensor, not any of the others.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
FastStone Photo Resizer Paint.net
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 11,796

007peter wrote:

...HOW BIG the SENSOR size is for Iphone 12 to achieve a 1.7um. Here is an image:

4:3 aspect ratio

Therefore 4000 x 3000 pixels for 12MP

Therefore 6.8mm x 5.1mm at 1.7 microns (8.5mm diagonal)

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at PhotonsToPhotos )

JoeBryanFFC Junior Member • Posts: 36

Interested in this too. Was waiting for one of you guys to figure it out (before it's released and someone does a teardown)

JoeBryanFFC's gear list:JoeBryanFFC's gear list
Sony a7R III Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +12 more
007peter
OP 007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,872
wow, 1/2" sensor? That is Amazing for a smartphone + computation

Leonard Migliore wrote:

007peter wrote:

That is pretty impressive for a smartphone with 3 camera sensor.  I would have thought it would be smaller due to the constrain of squeezing 3 camear/3 sensor into a smartphone.  Thank You

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 56,673
Re: wow, 1/2" sensor? That is Amazing for a smartphone + computation

007peter wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

007peter wrote:

That is pretty impressive for a smartphone with 3 camera sensor.

No, it's not.

My base model Galaxy S20 has a 1/1.72" 12MP ultrawide, a 1/1.76" 12MP standard and a 1/1.72" 64MP telephoto.  The standard has 1.8 micron pixels.  So, as usual, Apple is behind.

The S20 ultra has a 1/1.33" 108MP standard.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +10 more
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,477

Lee Jay wrote:

007peter wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

007peter wrote:

No, it's not.

My base model Galaxy S20 has a 1/1.72" 12MP ultrawide, a 1/1.76" 12MP standard and a 1/1.72" 64MP telephoto. The standard has 1.8 micron pixels. So, as usual, Apple is behind.

You've forgotten that apple users only ever compare the latest iPhone with previous iPhones, not other phones!

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 56,673

markyboy81 wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

007peter wrote:

Leonard Migliore wrote:

007peter wrote:

No, it's not.

My base model Galaxy S20 has a 1/1.72" 12MP ultrawide, a 1/1.76" 12MP standard and a 1/1.72" 64MP telephoto. The standard has 1.8 micron pixels. So, as usual, Apple is behind.

You've forgotten that apple users only ever compare the latest iPhone with previous iPhones, not other phones!

Same thing with laptops, watches, whatever.

Apple watches have 18 hours of battery life and cost $400-$500.  My Amazfit Bip-S looks like an Apple watch, costs $70 and has 45 days of battery life.  And it does way more than I need it to, including sleep monitoring which Apple watches don't do because they don't have the battery life for it.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +10 more
Street_Photography
Street_Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,930
Sorry to bring up an old thread but ...

I was curious about this too and my findings are that it is a 1/1.7 sized sensor. This is according to one website which gives the sensor model number Sony IMX603 . I Googled that and it showed the size as 1/1.7. It lists phones which use this 64MP sensor and that excludes the iPhone.

The size is not mentioned anywhere else, so my suspicion is that Apple aren't using the full sensor. A bit like Panasonic do with their LX100 cameras- they have a 16MP M43 sized sensor, but actually only use just over 1 inch of it at 12MP. Either that or Apple have made the sensor a smaller size to fit.

An app called Halide were also curious and came up with the image below, although they also didn't commit to predicting the size. They say the sensor is practically the same as the smaller one in the daytime, but sees a good increase in detail in lowlight.

As Apple don't care about keeping up with other manufacturers for specs, I think it is best to let the results speak for themself and leave it as a bit of a mystery. I think it is more likely that they are using a sensor, or part of a sensor, closer to half an inch than the bigger one mentioned.

I think my curiosity was sparked on hearing that some cameras now have a sensor almost 1 inch in size and I think Samsung have built a 1 inch phone sensor, so that should be on the way.

Source of photo and more details:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/18/halide-developer-shows-what-really-changes-with-iphone-12-pro-max-cameras/

Elsewhere we have heard the sensor is 47% bigger than the normal 12's sensor. If we assume that is the same size as the 11 Pro Max then it is still obviously lots smaller than the biggest sensors the likes of Huawei are using. Imagine the 11's sensor doubled in size:

I am giving up on the size and it doesn't matter too much. It is claimed to be over 80% better for lowlight shooting. So I am eager to give it a try. I thought the standard 12 was a massive upgrade for lowlight photos, so it will be interesting to see how much better they have got it- perhaps it means less blurry shots with a faster shutter speed.

The massive upgrade in the 12 was for fairly slow or stationary subjects, fast moving people could result in blurry shots, so that could be the main upgrade, making it a truly versatile lowlight camera ideal for any dark social occasions?

Nice to see the telephoto has been extended to 65mm too (it was 52mm before which is hardly telephoto). The main camera is 26mm f1.6.

Street_Photography's gear list:Street_Photography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads