Bgh1 SDI

Started Oct 13, 2020 | Questions
K4ptain New Member • Posts: 2
Bgh1 SDI

Hi I'm wondering if anyone has tested the latency of the sdi output of the bgh1? I love the gh line but I hate the lag of the hdmi. External monitoring is such a hassle with hdmi. Since it's only 3g and limited to 1080p and not for recording I'm wondering if there's still a considerable lag coming from the sdi? I need to know if I can pull focus off of it.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
SeanR1987 Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: Bgh1 SDI

K4ptain wrote:

Hi I'm wondering if anyone has tested the latency of the sdi output of the bgh1? I love the gh line but I hate the lag of the hdmi. External monitoring is such a hassle with hdmi. Since it's only 3g and limited to 1080p and not for recording I'm wondering if there's still a considerable lag coming from the sdi? I need to know if I can pull focus off of it.

It should have practically no latency if other 3G-SDI cameras from Panasonic are an example.

SeanR1987's gear list:SeanR1987's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +15 more
OP K4ptain New Member • Posts: 2

What if I passed the signal through a monitor using sdi then to a teradek using hdmi? Would the receiver which would also use hdmi have lag? I'm wondering if it's just the initial output signal from the camera itself that creates lag or if it's hdmi in general.

SeanR1987 Regular Member • Posts: 100

K4ptain wrote:

What if I passed the signal through a monitor using sdi then to a teradek using hdmi? Would the receiver which would also use hdmi have lag? I'm wondering if it's just the initial output signal from the camera itself that creates lag or if it's hdmi in general.

Sorry for the delay! My understanding is that HDMI has an inherent delay of a few frames. I think even using SDI out to a monitor, then using the HDMI out of the monitor will result in a delay to the device over HDMI. It may be less than direct though. Difference cameras/devices manage HDMI lag in different ways depending on processing. 
Doing it this way however is maxed out at 1080/60P 4:2:2 10-Bit since the BGH1 uses a 3g-SDI connection. 
I'm currently using SDI out to a Shogun Inferno for Menu / info display, focus confirmation, and Waveforms, while HDMI is going out to my ATEM Mini switcher. I've also got the camera powered and controlled over Ethernet in the Multicam app on my PC so I'm not having to reach to the camera to change any settings.

SeanR1987's gear list:SeanR1987's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +15 more
PSlats New Member • Posts: 1

I used a BGH1 in a Broadcast scenario on the weekend and reckon the SDI added around 5 frames of delay compared to the other Sony cameras.

Fingers crossed the new firmware reduces that as it's nowhere near that on the GH5s.

Garen_Zaian New Member • Posts: 1

I just did a test:

BGH1 w/ Firmware 2.0

HDMI :: 6 frames

SDI - (using a BMVA4K which has an SDI-mini input) :: 6 frames.

GH5

HDMI :: 6 frames

Unless the SDI-mini adds latency... I see no difference.  Kinda disappointed as I read an interview where they stated they specifically added the SDI because people complained about the latency on the GH5/s.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads