Datacolor Spyder Upgrade

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Trolleyman Regular Member • Posts: 404
Datacolor Spyder Upgrade

Hi

Can you tell me please if you upgrade from one Spyder device to a newer one does the old device still work.

I believe to get the offer price the serial number of the older device needs to be input. In my case I am considering upgrading from Spyder 5 Pro to Spyder X Elite under their latest promotion.

Thank you

ANSWER:
Ken Barley Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Datacolor Spyder Upgrade

Just asked to confirm email address when I ordered spyderx pro via this offer earlier today.

Did not ask for serial of my old spyder 4

Ken

-- hide signature --
 Ken Barley's gear list:Ken Barley's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 +7 more
AwkwardSwine Contributing Member • Posts: 707

Your device will still work. While they could possibly stop the Their software from working with the old devices' serial number, there are 3rd party free apps like DisplayCal that will work.

I am currently using a old Spyder3 with DisplayCal.

OP Trolleyman Regular Member • Posts: 404

Thanks, I'm using DisplayCal on my 5 Pro.

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,060

It's the software they are trying to control, and it's not that great anyway.

I couldn't even get Datacolor to run correctly on my new Windows 10 build.   I ended up installing the free, open-source software DisplayCal.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
SC489 Senior Member • Posts: 1,254

What's the point of upgrading if the original Spyder still works?

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more

SC489 wrote:

So I can give one of them to my daughter whilst getting a replacement at a cheaper price

SC489 Senior Member • Posts: 1,254

Trolleyman wrote:

SC489 wrote:

So I can give one of them to my daughter whilst getting a replacement at a cheaper price

Let's hope both give a very close calibration

SC489's gear list:SC489's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Kansas Ron Senior Member • Posts: 2,651

Trolleyman wrote:

Hi

Can you tell me please if you upgrade from one Spyder device to a newer one does the old device still work.

I believe to get the offer price the serial number of the older device needs to be input. In my case I am considering upgrading from Spyder 5 Pro to Spyder X Elite under their latest promotion.

Thank you

What is the offer?  I have a Spyder 5.

-- hide signature --

(See profile for equipment)

Kansas Ron's gear list:Kansas Ron's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD

Kansas Ron wrote:

Trolleyman wrote:

Hi

Thank you

What is the offer? I have a Spyder 5.

Here's what I got, could be a UK/EU offer, not sure Spyder X Offer

Also here is the definitive answer from Datacolor when asked if I could still use the original 5 Pro

"thank you very much for your message and your faith in Datacolor products.

Yes, this would be fine. The old device will still work fine. Just provide your daughter the serial information"

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Craftsman70 Regular Member • Posts: 215

Trolleyman wrote:

Kansas Ron wrote:

Trolleyman wrote:

Hi

Thank you

Also here is the definitive answer from Datacolor when asked if I could still use the original 5 Pro

Yes, this would be fine. The old device will still work fine. Just provide your daughter the serial information"

I would normally think that level of discount was a good offer but for some reason or another, Datacolour has a better offer for Canadians - 50% - SpyderX Canadian Upgrade offer

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more

I would normally think that level of discount was a good offer but for some reason or another, Datacolour has a better offer for Canadians - 50% - SpyderX Canadian Upgrade offer

Yes, that is an excellent offer.  I get the message there is no upgrade offer here in the US.

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD
Craftsman70 Regular Member • Posts: 215

Kansas Ron wrote:

Yes, that is an excellent offer. I get the message there is no upgrade offer here in the US.

Have you tried using the link to see if they will ship to the US?

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more

Yes.  You need a Canadian address. Sometimes they do have sales in the US.

-- hide signature --

mfait Contributing Member • Posts: 687

Craftsman70 wrote:

Trolleyman wrote:

Kansas Ron wrote:

Trolleyman wrote:

Hi

Thank you

Thanks for posting this.  I just picked up the Elite version.  Coming from Spyder4 Elite.  It did not ask me for the serial of the older device.

mfait's gear list:mfait's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 450D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads