how to read serial no.

Started 5 months ago | Questions
cx5bc Forum Member • Posts: 58
how to read serial no.

Hi, just wondering if someone can share how to read the serial no. Of. Em5.3 and 12-100?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Forum Pro • Posts: 10,408
Re: how to read serial no.

one - locate serial number

two - read

If unable to see serial number on camera body, locate the box it came in

repeat one and two above

if this also fails note:

"it's also embedded in the EXIF data of every photo you have ever taken with it"

from an earlier post on the same subject

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
OP cx5bc Forum Member • Posts: 58

Hi,

Thanks. I can read the serial no. But want to find out when they were made and how many unit.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,761

cx5bc wrote:

Hi, just wondering if someone can share how to read the serial no. Of. Em5.3 and 12-100?

Some helpful clues at http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html in Section 2 down towards the bottom of the page. Look for details about the MCS item which is found on page 3 of the camera service information and tells of the date of the motherboard. The CS item should be the camera's serial number that is on the outside of the camera.

As for the lens, I have no idea. I only know of the serial number laser engraved on or near the mount.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Forum Pro • Posts: 10,408

cx5bc wrote:

Hi,

Thanks. I can read the serial no. But want to find out when they were made and how many unit.

sorry, this was not clear in your first post

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

My last five digit is 10260. So I cannot figure out the year and month. If someone can help, please let me know.

JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 2,279

Brian Wadie wrote:

one - locate serial number

Making sure that it is right side up and read left to right.

two - read

If unable to see serial number on camera body, locate the box it came in

repeat one and two above

if this also fails note:

"it's also embedded in the EXIF data of every photo you have ever taken with it"

from an earlier post on the same subject

JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Leica M-P (Typ 240) Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton +4 more
Guy Parsons

cx5bc wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

My last five digit is 10260. So I cannot figure out the year and month. If someone can help, please let me know.

The camera serial number tells you nothing as far as I know, the internal service menu will display the MCS number on its page 3 and the last 3 digits of that MCS number decode to year and month.

Just checked my E-M10 Mk2 and its MCS number ends in 001 so to my understanding that means 2010 or 2020 from the first "0" and the last two digits "01" are January. That model was released in 2015 so that means my motherboard is dated as January 2020. Which is quite odd as I bought it in early December of 2019.

So from my little experiment, I'm not sure what you would really learn from finding the date. Plus if the camera had had some repair that involved swapping out the motherboard then the date will be of the motherboard and not the camera.

The question is, why are you trying to learn the date of your camera?

Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Guy Parsons
Dating the camera

Another thought, look at the date printed on the battery that came with your camera (assuming it was bought new) the battery date may give a better clue as to approximately when the camera was assembled.

cba_melbourne
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 3,534
Re: Dating the camera

Guy Parsons wrote:

Another thought, look at the date printed on the battery that came with your camera (assuming it was bought new) the battery date may give a better clue as to approximately when the camera was assembled.

That does not work.  Both my Oly cameras came with batteries made up to 2 years before the cameras first release date.

cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
cba_melbourne

Guy Parsons wrote:

One reason is when you try buying used. Especially lenses that were released more than 10 years ago, but are still sold. You could buy a lens that is only one year old, or one that is 11 years old, and that may influence how much you are willing to pay for it.

An older lens, even if looking pristine, may be more likely to suffer from problems like contact oxydation, broken ribbon cables or thickened oil/grease. It is also not unlikely that over the years some internal improvements or modifications were introduced.

With Panasonic, the serial number tells the manufacturing date. Not so with Olympus.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +14 more
Guy Parsons

cba_melbourne wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

That does not work. Both my Oly cameras came with batteries made up to 2 years before the cameras first release date.

Ditto it seems for mine, so if that is a definite year difference, then it is easy to take an approximate stab at when the camera was probably made, as it seems that the internal MCS number could be a bit of fiction.

As for me, I could not care less when the camera was born. All I want to know is when the camera will die.

I suppose a project for me could be to look at all my Pens and get the motherboard MCS dates, and compare that to their original battery dates and to the dates when I bought the camera. I guess all I might find is that cameras are often quite old by the time I buy them.

I date my batteries when I buy them and just about always the printed date is around 2 years earlier.

My OEM BLN-1 collection for my pair of E-P5.

That lot decodes for me that I bought the black E-P5 in September 2014, the two spare batteries in October 2014 and then the silver E-P5 in April 2015.

Guy Parsons

cba_melbourne wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

One reason is when you try buying used. Especially lenses that were released more than 10 years ago, but are still sold. You could buy a lens that is only one year old, or one that is 11 years old, and that may influence how much you are willing to pay for it.

Yup, fair enough. The OP is talking E-M5 Mk3 and 12-100mm so I naively assumed it was a new purchase as being most likely.

With Panasonic, the serial number tells the manufacturing date.

Yes, that's nice.

Not so with Olympus.

Olympus does not like to tell us dates. They are probably even horrified that the way to get into the service menu escaped into the wild. Nobody gets their service manuals it seems.

Whereas if you can find a service manual for a Panasonic camera it tells their method. Once earlier with Panasonic Australia web site they actually gave (accidentally) the link to the service manual for one of their M4/3 cameras at release, it disappeared soon after.

cba_melbourne

Guy Parsons wrote:

cba_melbourne wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

That does not work. Both my Oly cameras came with batteries made up to 2 years before the cameras first release date.

Ditto it seems for mine, so if that is a definite year difference, then it is easy to take an approximate stab at when the camera was probably made, as it seems that the internal MCS number could be a bit of fiction.

As for me, I could not care less when the camera was born. All I want to know is when the camera will die.

I suppose a project for me could be to look at all my Pens and get the motherboard MCS dates, and compare that to their original battery dates and to the dates when I bought the camera. I guess all I might find is that cameras are often quite old by the time I buy them.

I date my batteries when I buy them and just about always the printed date is around 2 years earlier.

My OEM BLN-1 collection for my pair of E-P5.

That lot decodes for me that I bought the black E-P5 in September 2014, the two spare batteries in October 2014 and then the silver E-P5 in April 2015.

The relatively old battery dates that come in new cameras makes me believe, that Olympus has batteries made in very large batches, possibly as far as 2 years apart.

cba_melbourne

Guy Parsons wrote:

Olympus does not like to tell us dates. They are probably even horrified that the way to get into the service menu escaped into the wild. Nobody gets their service manuals it seems.

If have never seen one (except for old vintage cameras). I suspect they only exist as electronic copies, only accessible online on their internal network. Password protected and with strict confidentiality clauses for the technicians.

Whereas if you can find a service manual for a Panasonic camera it tells their method. Once earlier with Panasonic Australia web site they actually gave (accidentally) the link to the service manual for one of their M4/3 cameras at release, it disappeared soon after.

For those of us that keep their cameras/lenses "for life", and possibly do their own small repairs, the availability of service manuals is an important advantage for Panasonic when choosing a new camera/lens.

Hi Thanks all again.

No reason why, just wondering if when it was made. Thank you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads