Fuji X100V Thoughts thus far - Heat scenario

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
adam10 Regular Member • Posts: 375
Fuji X100V Thoughts thus far - Heat scenario

I would firstly like to congratulate Fuji for their continuing innovations and excellent after sales care. They clearly listen to their customers.

I recently purchased a Fuji X100V . Unfortunately the rear of the camera by where the battery sits got rather warm upon even light shooting and even warmer whilst shooting 4K for 3 minutes. I found this somewhat disconcerting. A great pity as the X100V ticked all my boxes. I realise that Fuji are aware of this scenario, as they issued a firmware update. I am however advised that the firmware does nothing to reduce the amount of heat emanating from the camera during use ?

If it did I would 100% keep this wonderfully capable camera.

I feel so very frustrated by the heating issue, as the camera in all other aspects in absolutely perfect for my needs. And I mean perfect.

Do some of the X100V's get warmer than others ?

Has anybody found the lens focusing mechanism a tad noisy ?

Are there sample variations ?

Do you think Fuji are going to able to solve the heating scenario by firmware updates alone ?

I appreciate that the heating scenario will not bother all users.

Thanks, Adam.

Human Elements
Human Elements Contributing Member • Posts: 566
Re: Fuji X100V Thoughts thus far - Heat scenario

A shame you sent it back; it's a complete non-issue. I've been using mine for months, including in full sun on 95F days shooting documentary work for hours at a time. It just gets a little warm behind the thumb due to the weather sealing, smaller body (less room for designing proper heat dispersal channels), and latest-gen processer. It's the first WR X100 body so they still have some kinks to work out.

Heat test results from FujiRumors: https://www.fujirumors.com/tested-fujifilm-x100v-overheating-and-focusin-ring-issues/

TL;DR: Even shooting 600 continuous frames it doesn't overheat. Air temperatures of 100+F can cause overheating if you intend to shoot for 100 continuous frames. But it does overheat if you record 4K for longer than 12 minutes in one take. In which case, the X-T- series exists. It doesn't really impact functionality so I don't think Fuji's going to do much about it. This isn't a sports or video camera; it just didn't make sense for Fuji to remove functionality from an already existent sensor.

Now I just enjoy the tickle of heat; feels like it's brimming with creative potential

Also, the lens is a tad noisier than the earlier models but only if you're listening for it. Outside I pretty much never hear it.

Human Elements's gear list:Human Elements's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 13,725
Complete non-issue

classic case of the Internet influencing people to be paranoid about their stuff.

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +44 more
forest dream Senior Member • Posts: 1,134

IMO some of the heat generated by slow processor which always full power running.

Wish next Fujiflm camera's processor can built in 7nm process (like iPhone A12 or Snapdragon 855). 7nm chip will less heat and need less power.

https://www.cultofmac.com/572215/apples-a12-performance-battery-life-2018-iphone/

OP adam10 Regular Member • Posts: 375
Re: Complete non-issue

Chris Dodkin wrote:

classic case of the Internet influencing people to be paranoid about their stuff.

Thanks for your comments thus far - Appreciate them all.

I understand that the internet has an influence however the warmth scenario verging on very warm is in my opinion disconcerting.  It's the only camera that I've ever owned which produces a somewhat toasty warm feeling on the rear of the device.  Perhaps it's something that we're expected to live with on the basis that in general , cameras circuit board hardware is getting increasingingly complex thereby putting more pressure on the batteries and inner workings of the camera.  If that is the case then manufacturers should be attempting to solve the heat issues.  Don't get me wrong - I love Fuji products but this is disappointing.

Adam

Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,639

adam10 wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I understand that the internet has an influence however the warmth scenario verging on very warm is in my opinion disconcerting. It's the only camera that I've ever owned which produces a somewhat toasty warm feeling on the rear of the device. Perhaps it's something that we're expected to live with on the basis that in general , cameras circuit board hardware is getting increasingingly complex thereby putting more pressure on the batteries and inner workings of the camera. If that is the case then manufacturers should be attempting to solve the heat issues. Don't get me wrong - I love Fuji products but this is disappointing.

Adam

Has it ever shut down?

My X-Pro2 is warm and in hot climates like in India it could even get very warm but it always worked.

My MacBookPros are getting really hot sometimes but that doesn't stop them from working. My old Krell audio amplifier that I had for over 20 years run hot but it worked without any issues.

My point: Those devices are designed to work like that and the heat caused by operation is taken into account.

There is nothing to worry about unless the camera constantly shuts down with an overheat message. In that case I would consider it a real problem.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,313

adam10 wrote:

Do some of the X100V's get warmer than others ?

Has anybody found the lens focusing mechanism a tad noisy ?

Are there sample variations ?

Do you think Fuji are going to able to solve the heating scenario by firmware updates alone ?

I appreciate that the heating scenario will not bother all users.

Thanks, Adam.

- Probably yes. Mine does not get "warmer", but I do not shoot video.

- Not me.

- Yes.

- No idea, only Fuji will know.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
ChangshaNotes
ChangshaNotes Forum Member • Posts: 84

Maybe you got a bad one.

For me, this heat thing is an internet issue and it doesn't affect me at all.

I think I've heard the lens a few times but it's certainly not in the realm of noisy.

It seems to me this camera is so good that people are really being nitpicky to find something to complain about. It's the culture nowadays, if something is good and popular, it must be torn down.

ChangshaNotes's gear list:ChangshaNotes's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100V
forest dream Senior Member • Posts: 1,134

adam10 wrote:

Fujiflm already release firmware about it. I guess no more further action from Fujiflm.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64435642

Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 13,725

adam10 wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I understand that the internet has an influence however the warmth scenario verging on very warm is in my opinion disconcerting. It's the only camera that I've ever owned which produces a somewhat toasty warm feeling on the rear of the device. Perhaps it's something that we're expected to live with on the basis that in general , cameras circuit board hardware is getting increasingingly complex thereby putting more pressure on the batteries and inner workings of the camera. If that is the case then manufacturers should be attempting to solve the heat issues. Don't get me wrong - I love Fuji products but this is disappointing.

Adam

More powerful processor + camera body as a passive heat sync

The heat produced has to go somewhere - unless you'd rather have a camera with a fan built-in to cool it?

Might spoil the size/aesthetic though

Personally, I don't notice any temp difference between my X100, X100F or X100V when shooting stills.

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +44 more
jslade797 Regular Member • Posts: 266

adam10 wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

Adam

I found it disconcerting too. I wasn't used to cameras feeling that warm in the thumb rest area.

I decided to install the latest firmware and shot it in the most demanding way I could in a hot kitchen in the middle of summer. The camera got pretty toasty but not hot enough to trigger either of the overheating warnings. I knew I'd never push it any further than that in the course of my regular shooting (I'm not a video shooter), so was happy to buy a thumb grip and move on! Suffice it to say I haven't noticed it since.

-- hide signature --

Instagram - @jontyslade

jslade797's gear list:jslade797's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T2 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads