RF 85mm 1.2 - Focusing Speed

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Blownvette
Blownvette Regular Member • Posts: 313
RF 85mm 1.2 - Focusing Speed

I have done numerous Google Searching and I cannot find any that gives me the answer I'm looking for.  I have had a few versions of the 85mm lens as I use it quite often important lens for me.  The previous versions I have owned were Canon 85 1.8, the original Sigma 85 1.4, the Sigma 85 1.4 ART and right now I have the Canon 85 1.4L IS.

I recently bought the new R5 and it is a wonderful camera...especially the AF system which seems to nail focus on all of my lenses.  (so using the Canon 85 1.4L with the EF-RF converter)

So my question is this.  Many of my portraits are of Athletes/Dancers and they are moving quite abit...and I also shoot for a drag racing magazine and the cars are coming at extreme rates of speed so a fast AF is a must.  I have NO complaints with the current Canon EF 85mm (so this may be a bit of a potential emotional purchase) that said how fast does the new RF 85mm 1.2 focus in comparison to the current EF 85mm 1.4?  I know it is moving more glass so typically the lager the aperture the slower the lens will focus.  .

All of that said, does anyone know how FAST the AF speed is compared to other Canon EF lenses.  Thanks.  Below are a few samples of what I have shot with the 85mm on either a Canon 5DIV or a the new R5.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MikeB_2018 Contributing Member • Posts: 500
Re: RF 85mm 1.2 - Focusing Speed

I can't say how the RF 85 is vs. the EF 1.4 version, but it is substantially faster than my EF 85/1.2.

That being said, it is slower than my RF 50 as it is a really massive lens with a lot of glass.  My guess it will be incrementally faster than your EF 85/1.4.  Probably not enough to justify changing.

Just my .02 cents.

MikeB_2018's gear list:MikeB_2018's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm GFX 100S Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III +32 more
gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,887

Nice. It should be fast but thats my speculation. If you are so worried rent it for a few days and see.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,352

Blownvette wrote:

I have done numerous Google Searching and I cannot find any that gives me the answer I'm looking for. I have had a few versions of the 85mm lens as I use it quite often important lens for me. The previous versions I have owned were Canon 85 1.8, the original Sigma 85 1.4, the Sigma 85 1.4 ART and right now I have the Canon 85 1.4L IS.

I recently bought the new R5 and it is a wonderful camera...especially the AF system which seems to nail focus on all of my lenses. (so using the Canon 85 1.4L with the EF-RF converter)

So my question is this. Many of my portraits are of Athletes/Dancers and they are moving quite abit...and I also shoot for a drag racing magazine and the cars are coming at extreme rates of speed so a fast AF is a must. I have NO complaints with the current Canon EF 85mm (so this may be a bit of a potential emotional purchase) that said how fast does the new RF 85mm 1.2 focus in comparison to the current EF 85mm 1.4? I know it is moving more glass so typically the lager the aperture the slower the lens will focus. .

All of that said, does anyone know how FAST the AF speed is compared to other Canon EF lenses. Thanks. Below are a few samples of what I have shot with the 85mm on either a Canon 5DIV or a the new R5.

Might also ask in the R forum. Wish I could help more than that

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
Croomrider Regular Member • Posts: 478

Can't help you with the focus speed, but the exif in your photos only shows one of the three shot with the 85mm. Nice photos though!

Blownvette
OP Blownvette Regular Member • Posts: 313

Croomrider wrote:

Can't help you with the focus speed, but the exif in your photos only shows one of the three shot with the 85mm. Nice photos though!

Those were more of a quick sample of what I typically shoot...I would usually use my 85mm for those shots so I should have checked prior.  Here are a few that I know I used my 85mm on:

1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,450

nice photos!

-- hide signature --

if you look at God real close and for very long, you'll find defects!!!

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,265

I have no idea, just wanted to say the pictures are *awesome*!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads