Building System – D7500 + 70-300 AF-P + ??????

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Building System – D7500 + 70-300 AF-P + ??????

Hi All,

I got some great advice over in this thread (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4522518) choosing a camera.

What I think ill go for is a new grey D7500, as here in the UK they are cheaper than new and e-infin seem to have quite good customer service from what I read. Im just waiting to hear back from Nikon UK to see if they will repair a grey import out of warranty as ive read conflicting answers.

So im thinking to go with the D7500, a AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR Lens (https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3089/nikon_af-p_dx_nikkor_70-300mm_f/4.5-6.3g_ed_vr_lens)

And I need something to fill the gap

D7500 and 70-300 will take me up to about £800, would like to keep it as close to £1,000 as I can

What I’ll be shooting

Given the lockdown most of my shooting over the next 3-6 months will be in and around London. City pics, architecture, night time shots (it’ll be dark by the time I finish work in a couple of weeks).

If I manage a few shots to upload to stock image sites that would be a bonus.

Family shots over Christmas / kids BIL playing rugby

Maybe eventually drag racing

Future – let’s see when we’re allowed to get out of the country!

Combos

I have been recommended the Nikkor 16-80 but at almost £500 that kills the budget IF I get the 70-300 (I had the 70-300 VR II a few years ago and enjoyed it)

So I see my options as follows

D7500 / 70-300 +… Nikkor 18-55 / Nikkor 18-140 / Sigma 17-50 f2.8 / Tamron 17-50 (not 100% on the difference between the VC SP and the LD IF)

Would the above be a good set? Which of the above would you recommend? I was initially thinking of going with a 35mm 1.8 as tht is the lens I used to use the most previously however I see the benefit of a zoom around that range.

Should I forget the 70-30 and put my money into something else?

Thanks for looking.

Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,625
Re: Building System – D7500 + 70-300 AF-P + ??????

I missed your first post - so a couple of things:

you know that the D7500 ( unlike the d7200 ) won't meter with non-cpu lenses such as most of the MF ai/a-s. Probably not an issue since you seem to be looking at af-s/af-p lenses. It does still have a screw drive for those AF older lens types however.

e-infinity

- I've used them a lot but in my experience their warranty is dubious. I had a run in with them over a PL 100-400 and months later resorted to a Paypal claim which got me my money back. In the UK Panamoz gives a 3 year UK based warranty as does Hdew but the latter don't sell grey Nikons any longer. The d7500 is £710 at Panamoz. Part of the difference is supporting a warranty service.

Apart from that, e-infinity is the best box shifter ex HK. e-global and the rest are dire in my experience. When I buy from e-infinity now, I just assume that I will have to get stuff repaired elsewhere if it fails.

cheers and enjoy your d7500

richard

jkokura Regular Member • Posts: 114

I can't speak to the warranty issues of grey market gear, I'll leave that to others.

But for a second lens, in your shoes I'd want something that gives me quality. I know spending more on a lens probably would be hard, but I'm wondering if you can save a little more and spend it a little differently. There are two lenses that, in your shoes, I'd be seriously looking at.

- 24-120mm F4: It's a Full frame lens, but it will be better than anything you've listed. I use one on my DX cameras, and it has a great equivalent view of 36-180mm, which is a fantastic range given that it's a constant aperture and has VR built in. And if ever one day you get your hands on a FF camera, you're good to go. The great thing about this lens is, because it's a kit lens for the FF cameras, there are PLENTY on the used marked, and you can get them for $4-500 US.

- 18-140 F3.5-5.6: It's a DX lens, and it's not nearly as good as the 24-120, but it is a good range, and it's more budget friendly for your needs. To be honest, I would not recommend this lens except that occaisionally you can find one very inexpensively. However, if I had a chance to choose between this lens and a 24-120, I'd pick the latter, especially if they were close in price.

Jacob

jkokura's gear list:jkokura's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63

Thank you for the reccomendation.

instead of going for the 70-300 would it be better to put that on the back burner and go for the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR?

i think that might give ,e enough reach for wandering arounf london but would it be fast enough for night shooting at indoor photos (kids)?

ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 868

DTA wrote:

Hi All,

I got some great advice over in this thread (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4522518) choosing a camera.

What I think ill go for is a new grey D7500, as here in the UK they are cheaper than new and e-infin seem to have quite good customer service from what I read. Im just waiting to hear back from Nikon UK to see if they will repair a grey import out of warranty as ive read conflicting answers.

So im thinking to go with the D7500, a AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR Lens (https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3089/nikon_af-p_dx_nikkor_70-300mm_f/4.5-6.3g_ed_vr_lens)

And I need something to fill the gap

D7500 and 70-300 will take me up to about £800, would like to keep it as close to £1,000 as I can

What I’ll be shooting

Given the lockdown most of my shooting over the next 3-6 months will be in and around London. City pics, architecture, night time shots (it’ll be dark by the time I finish work in a couple of weeks).

If I manage a few shots to upload to stock image sites that would be a bonus.

Family shots over Christmas / kids BIL playing rugby

Maybe eventually drag racing

Future – let’s see when we’re allowed to get out of the country!

Combos

I have been recommended the Nikkor 16-80 but at almost £500 that kills the budget IF I get the 70-300 (I had the 70-300 VR II a few years ago and enjoyed it)

So I see my options as follows

D7500 / 70-300 +… Nikkor 18-55 / Nikkor 18-140 / Sigma 17-50 f2.8 / Tamron 17-50 (not 100% on the difference between the VC SP and the LD IF)

Would the above be a good set? Which of the above would you recommend? I was initially thinking of going with a 35mm 1.8 as tht is the lens I used to use the most previously however I see the benefit of a zoom around that range.

Should I forget the 70-30 and put my money into something else?

Thanks for looking.

I have used e-Infinity quite a lot, and I highly recommend them. You only have 14 days to return the gear if it is faulty, so test your gear thoroughly as soon as it arrives. Also, ask them to double box your equipment in a separate email as soon as you get the email from customer service confirming your order. Otherwise, they will just send the box in a plastic bag.

I have also heard that they are not so great for repairs, but you always have PayPal to cover you. I don't have any personal experience on that front, since the gear that I have purchased from them has never failed me.

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more
jkokura Regular Member • Posts: 114

DTA wrote:

Thank you for the reccomendation.

instead of going for the 70-300 would it be better to put that on the back burner and go for the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR?

i think that might give ,e enough reach for wandering arounf london but would it be fast enough for night shooting at indoor photos (kids)?

No, it won't be fast enough for indoor shooting at night IF you want your ISO low. If you don't care what your ISO is, then it's fine.

I use my 24-120 F4 only during the day or with really good light. If I'm going indoors or it's getting darker I'm using my Sigma 18-35 1.8. I think you need a faster lens. The Nikon 35 1.8 DX lens, or the Sigma 30mm 1.4 would be good alternatives, but the Sigma 18-35mm is probably the best lens of it's type that you could get. Since you wanted more reach I didn't recommend it, but you could look at it as the option for you.

I use my 18-35 as my everyday lens with my DX camera, and the 24-120 is better if I want more range and I'm carrying it for an event or outing.

Jacob

jkokura's gear list:jkokura's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more

Thanks for the thoughts.

i got the following response from Nikon UK

Thank you for contacting Nikon Customer Support.

In reply to your question, yes we do repair grey imports as long as they are genuine Nikon Products that have been imported to the European market. You will be quoted for the repair.

i think the answer is also a but grey, but i'll go with it!

Hi All,

Just thought I’d drop in an update RE: Nikon repair of grey imports as if you’ve read the thread I’m considering purchasing from e-ifinity.

My initial question was something along the lines of do you repair grey imports

In reply to your question, yes we do repair grey imports as long as they are genuine Nikon Products that have been imported to the European market. You will be quoted for the repair.

However, could you please clarify the answer for me please? " In reply to your question, yes we do repair grey imports as long as they are genuine Nikon Products that have been imported to the European market"

For example - if I (or at least a friend of mine) were to buy a camera in Hong Kong would you service out of warranty?

If i were to buy from a company that imported the camera from outside the EU into the UK, would you service it out of warranty?

Thank you.

Thank you for your email.

As long as the camera purchased was a genuine and official Nikon product, we would be able to conduct a repair on the equipment at our Nikon UK workshop. Please note that any repairs or services will be chargeable.

ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 868

DTA wrote:

Hi All,

Just thought I’d drop in an update RE: Nikon repair of grey imports as if you’ve read the thread I’m considering purchasing from e-ifinity.

My initial question was something along the lines of do you repair grey imports

However, could you please clarify the answer for me please? " In reply to your question, yes we do repair grey imports as long as they are genuine Nikon Products that have been imported to the European market"

For example - if I (or at least a friend of mine) were to buy a camera in Hong Kong would you service out of warranty?

If i were to buy from a company that imported the camera from outside the EU into the UK, would you service it out of warranty?

Thank you.

Thank you for your email.

As long as the camera purchased was a genuine and official Nikon product, we would be able to conduct a repair on the equipment at our Nikon UK workshop. Please note that any repairs or services will be chargeable.

So they will repair it...

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

So they will repair it...

I believe so!

rdavy Regular Member • Posts: 345

If that budget is a hard limit, I would get the 18-55mm AF-P VR and an external TTL flash for indoor people photos.

But if you get that lens, maybe you should be looking at kit options.

rdavy's gear list:rdavy's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more

rdavy wrote:

If that budget is a hard limit, I would get the 18-55mm AF-P VR and an external TTL flash for indoor people photos.

But if you get that lens, maybe you should be looking at kit options.

Well, I've had a bit of the old analysis paralysis as I read in another thread. My thinking at the moment is a 7500 and the 16-80mm.so that should take my to about £1k. It'll be a good walk around and I can decide if I need a prime / more length

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads