Cameraphones - suggestions please!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Andy Currie
Andy Currie Regular Member • Posts: 399
Cameraphones - suggestions please!

Hi,

I was in the market to buy a carry-around camera like the Fuji 100V but am now seriously considering a camera phone as an alternative.

I'm interested in taking and editing photos on the device and sharing with family and friends, as well as when traveling or visiting places.

Is there a genuine camera phone quality camera that I should be considering? - thanks for your advice.

I'm in UK by the way...

-- hide signature --

Andy.

Jeff Peterman
MOD Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,997
Re: Cameraphones - suggestions please!

That depends on what you really want. I gave up carrying a small camera ages ago, and just use my phone for casual shooting. I am pretty happy with my Note 20 Ultra - but this is not a cheap phone. There are much cheaper phones from Google that do a decent job, at the cost of a shorter max focal length (so more digital zoom), for example.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Andy Currie
OP Andy Currie Regular Member • Posts: 399

Jeff Peterman wrote:

That depends on what you really want. I gave up carrying a small camera ages ago, and just use my phone for casual shooting. I am pretty happy with my Note 20 Ultra - but this is not a cheap phone. There are much cheaper phones from Google that do a decent job, at the cost of a shorter max focal length (so more digital zoom), for example.

Thanks, that's what I was looking at - how is it? - can you edit on the device?

-- hide signature --

Andy.

Drzewoid Regular Member • Posts: 379

Andy Currie wrote:

Hi,

I was in the market to buy a carry-around camera like the Fuji 100V but am now seriously considering a camera phone as an alternative.

I'm interested in taking and editing photos on the device and sharing with family and friends, as well as when traveling or visiting places.

Is there a genuine camera phone quality camera that I should be considering? - thanks for your advice.

I have used many flagship phones and if i have to buy phone right now:

1. Huawei P40 PRO / Pro PLUS - if You not scared about missing google services it's best choice. It's first phone, which really beat my RX0II - it has amazing high resolution mode to take landscape photos, great natual looking and soft photos. Really amazing night capabilities, especially indoor(here similar mate 30 pro photos www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4450545 ). You can check my daylight samples from P40 PRO PLUS here - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4503019

2. Oppo Find X2 PRO - very great universal camera, nice SOOC and IP68!

3. Xiaomi MI10 PRO - it's not perfect phone, but very solid main camera. Good in night, but with night mode turned on. Best results are with GCAM app, so you need to install this and use standard camera for night photos night mode and gcam in daylight. It doesn't have IP68. Zoom is not good like in Huawei

4. Google Pixel 5 - cheap, solid, ip68, 5g, but not have any zoom very sad. Alternative: VIVO X50 PRO +

5. iphone 11 - fantastic night 4k videos, overall solid camera

6. Oneplus 8 PRO

I rather wouldn't buy any Samsung - very poor SOOC

Andy Currie
OP Andy Currie Regular Member • Posts: 399

Drzewoid wrote:

Andy Currie wrote:

Hi,

1. Huawei P40 PRO / Pro PLUS - if You not scared about missing google services it's best choice. It's first phone, which really beat my RX0II - it has amazing high resolution mode to take landscape photos, great natual looking and soft photos. Really amazing night capabilities, especially indoor(here similar mate 30 pro photos www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4450545 ). You can check my daylight samples from P40 PRO PLUS here - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4503019

2. Oppo Find X2 PRO - very great universal camera, nice SOOC and IP68!

3. Xiaomi MI10 PRO - it's not perfect phone, but very solid main camera. Good in night, but with night mode turned on. Best results are with GCAM app, so you need to install this and use standard camera for night photos night mode and gcam in daylight. It doesn't have IP68. Zoom is not good like in Huawei

4. Google Pixel 5 - cheap, solid, ip68, 5g, but not have any zoom very sad. Alternative: VIVO X50 PRO +

5. iphone 11 - fantastic night 4k videos, overall solid camera

6. Oneplus 8 PRO

I rather wouldn't buy any Samsung - very poor SOOC

Interesting! - thanks for your insight. Gives me more t look at!

-- hide signature --

Andy.

Jeff Peterman
MOD Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,997

I haven't done much more than basic editing (cropping, for example) on the phone, so I can't help much with that.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Drzewoid Regular Member • Posts: 379

Mate 30 PRO shotss in night are fun! No tripod, no night mode - just auto and ev adjustment 

PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,605

I've found the Pixels to be extremely consistent in exposure and photo quality in a wide variety of conditions from daylight to very dim light.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
xb70fan Senior Member • Posts: 1,146

Andy Currie wrote:

Hi,

I'm in UK by the way...

I used to scoff at phone cameras until I tried my sister’s iPhone 11. Not anymore. The 12 is on my list.

-- hide signature --

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

xb70fan's gear list:xb70fan's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Rob J
Rob J Regular Member • Posts: 496

I am totally happy with the consistently good results that I get with my iPhone 11Pro. I have had several previous generations of iPhone and they've all taken great photos.

markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,199

I have a Note 9 and use Lightroom - the free version is plenty good enough for me and actually quicker than the photo editing software I use on my PC.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
albero Regular Member • Posts: 249

Drzewoid wrote:

Andy Currie wrote:

Hi,

Fully subscribe what written above for the Huawei P40 pro. I am still impressed by the capabilities of this device in low light and for 5x zoom shots.

Huawei P40 pro - church interior in low light

I also add that 99% of the android apps work without hassle if you install them on the P40 pro via "phoneclone" or as apk .

albero's gear list:albero's gear list
Nikon Z6
Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,365

Andy Currie wrote:

Hi,

I'm in UK by the way...

if you are gonna shoot in auto mode stay away from Samsung and to lesser extent iPhones (photos look great on small screens) but both use heavy handed processing so smeary details and smoothed away fine texture are the norm if you look a little closer.

Best auto mode is Pixel & Huawei, processing is still there but not as heavy handed. If you are gonna shoot RAW and then edit then all are very good. over the last year I've owned and compared the P30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, iPhone, Samsung S20 Ultra, S20 +, LG G7 and a few more and the for me the Huawei's are easy winners, not just from an IQ perspective but each of the 3 lenses are available in Pro mode, all 3 lenses can shoot in RAW, and Huawei is still the only OEM that when you shoot in Pro mode with RAW enabled the jpeg you get is directly from the RAW, bypassing the in-house processing completely, which is very useful and way more natural looking in terms of IQ.

as an example see these 100% crops (P30 pro), top is auto mode, bottom is the jpeg directly from RAW that the camera produces automatically.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD +3 more
Droo Regular Member • Posts: 122

Huawei would be pretty good, biggest issue camera wise is that the RYYB sensors might make RAW photos unusable for editing on the go. Lightroom can handle the P30 Pro, but not the P40 Pro. Lightroom has camera and lens profiles for the P30 Pro, but only lens profiles for the P40 Pro, so you are stuck with green photos there.

This might not be an issue because you get fairly good OOC JPGs and to get the most out of the RAW files you need to use RawTherapee, which is not available on mobile anyway.

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,698

albero wrote:

Drzewoid wrote:

Andy Currie wrote:

Hi,

Fully subscribe what written above for the Huawei P40 pro. I am still impressed by the capabilities of this device in low light and for 5x zoom shots.

I also add that 99% of the android apps work without hassle if you install them on the P40 pro via "phoneclone" or as apk .

Another thing to be wary of with Huawei is service repair if needed. It looks like a part shortage has already started to occur.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/24564/do-not-buy-huawei-and-honor-smartphones

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro
Jostian

Droo wrote:

Huawei would be pretty good, biggest issue camera wise is that the RYYB sensors might make RAW photos unusable for editing on the go.

That's why I went with Mate 20 Pro, RYYB sensor is very warm in terms of WB.

Lightroom can handle the P30 Pro, but not the P40 Pro. Lightroom has camera and lens profiles for the P30 Pro, but only lens profiles for the P40 Pro, so you are stuck with green photos there.

This might not be an issue because you get fairly good OOC JPGs and to get the most out of the RAW files you need to use RawTherapee, which is not available on mobile anyway.

-- hide signature --
Sony a9 Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD +3 more
Jostian

SHood wrote:

albero wrote:

Drzewoid wrote:

Andy Currie wrote:

Hi,

Another thing to be wary of with Huawei is service repair if needed. It looks like a part shortage has already started to occur.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/24564/do-not-buy-huawei-and-honor-smartphones

Not an issue here in South Africa, Huawei has dedicated centers which are pretty efficient and well stocked, when I took my previous Huawei there P30 Pro for a software upgrade I was very impressed, even gave me a coupon for a free cappuccino at a coffee shop while I waited for the phone.

-- hide signature --
albero Regular Member • Posts: 249

Droo wrote:

Huawei would be pretty good, biggest issue camera wise is that the RYYB sensors might make RAW photos unusable for editing on the go. Lightroom can handle the P30 Pro, but not the P40 Pro. Lightroom has camera and lens profiles for the P30 Pro, but only lens profiles for the P40 Pro, so you are stuck with green photos there.

WRONG! I edit without any problem Huawei P40 pro RAW (dng) files on the go using Lightroom mobile installed on the smartphone.

Read the exif data on the file below.

Huawei P40 pro dng file converted in Lightroom mobile to a b&w jpeg.

albero's gear list:albero's gear list
Nikon Z6
Droo Regular Member • Posts: 122

BW works just fine in Lightroom, it is color photos that have a green tint with the P40 Pro.

Jostian

Droo wrote:

BW works just fine in Lightroom, it is color photos that have a green tint with the P40 Pro.

yip a lightroom issue, if you edit the dng using inhouse editing then the green tint is not there.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads