Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 19,918
Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm

Hi all.

I am looking to take a bunch of scenic/ Landscape shots in coming weeks, looking forward to fall foliage.

I can just use my 16 to 85mm , and will be fine for most shots (24mm ), but :

Will the AF-P 10 to 20mm give me improved resolution/ sharper results ?

I am aware the AF is much faster on all AF-P lenses, but the AF on the 16 to 85 is fine.

Any benefit to one over the other?

Thanks

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Craftsman70 Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm
3

Basically, the two lenses complement each other with a small overlap in range and both lenses have been rated fairly highly.

The 16-85 is much more of a general-purpose lens while the 10-20 is more of the landscape so if you are just going to do landscapes going forward or if you have another lens that covers off the range of the 16-85, then go ahead as the extra 6mm adds a lot to your coverage.

 Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
embie
embie Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm

Personally I would NOT sell the 16-85 but buy "such a low prized lens" (AF-P 10-20) as an extra one.

Maybe you can also look to the preased and faster (!) Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD, just a suggestion that I'm also struggling with.

Success,

eMBie

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

 embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +2 more
Craftsman70 Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm
1

embie wrote:

Personally I would NOT sell the 16-85 but buy "such a low prized lens" (AF-P 10-20) as an extra one.

Maybe you can also look to the preased and faster (!) Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD, just a suggestion that I'm also struggling with.

Success,

eMBie

In my experience with landscape photography and wide angles, a fast lens isn't really an issue especially with the newer bodies with their great low light performance for most people.  Of course, a case can be made to get a fast wide-angle lens but the use case would be a narrow one.

 Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
Jim Laux Forum Member • Posts: 51
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm
1

The 10-20 is great for ultra wide angle shots (fireworks up close, real estate photography, shooting both sides of a valley at once, things like that) but the optical quality on the 16-85 was considered quite good in its day, and I would think it's better for most landscape situations since 16mm is already fairly wide. I would keep it unless you have something else that covers similar focal lengths already.

 Jim Laux's gear list:Jim Laux's gear list
Kodak DX7440 Nikon D40 Nikon D3100 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +3 more
OP ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 19,918
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm
1

Craftsman70 wrote:

Basically, the two lenses complement each other with a small overlap in range and both lenses have been rated fairly highly.

The 16-85 is much more of a general-purpose lens while the 10-20 is more of the landscape so if you are just going to do landscapes going forward or if you have another lens that covers off the range of the 16-85, then go ahead as the extra 6mm adds a lot to your coverage.

Thanks!

Stay healthy

ANAYV

OP ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 19,918
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm

embie wrote:

Personally I would NOT sell the 16-85 but buy "such a low prized lens" (AF-P 10-20) as an extra one.

I wouldnt get much if I did sell it.

Maybe you can also look to the preased and faster (!) Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD, just a suggestion that I'm also struggling with.

Faster glass not really a need at wide angle, for me. VR is a plus, though

Success,

eMBie

Thanks

Stay healthy

ANAYV

OP ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 19,918
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm

Jim Laux wrote:

The 10-20 is great for ultra wide angle shots (fireworks up close, real estate photography, shooting both sides of a valley at once, things like that) but the optical quality on the 16-85 was considered quite good in its day, and I would think it's better for most landscape situations since 16mm is already fairly wide. I would keep it unless you have something else that covers similar focal lengths already.

Thanks. Seems its a good lens. Not much to get if I sell it....

Nothing I have now covers its range.

So now I'm thinking of keeping it.

Now to decide on getting the 10 to 20mm lens.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Peter in Canberra Contributing Member • Posts: 932
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm

Craftsman70 wrote:

embie wrote:

Personally I would NOT sell the 16-85 but buy "such a low prized lens" (AF-P 10-20) as an extra one.

Maybe you can also look to the preased and faster (!) Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD, just a suggestion that I'm also struggling with.

Success,

eMBie

In my experience with landscape photography and wide angles, a fast lens isn't really an issue especially with the newer bodies with their great low light performance for most people. Of course, a case can be made to get a fast wide-angle lens but the use case would be a narrow one.

An additional use you can get from a fast wide angle zoom is for astrophotography if that is a possible interest. I got a used Tokina 11-20 f2.8 to try astro (moderate success so far). The larger aperture allows shutter speed to be kept down to get 'sharp' stars.

Every time I look at the AF-P 10-20 though I like the idea of it - so compact and lightweight.

Can the OP pick up a refurb or good used one?

OP ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 19,918
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm

Peter in Canberra wrote:

Craftsman70 wrote:

embie wrote:

Personally I would NOT sell the 16-85 but buy "such a low prized lens" (AF-P 10-20) as an extra one.

Maybe you can also look to the preased and faster (!) Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD, just a suggestion that I'm also struggling with.

Success,

eMBie

In my experience with landscape photography and wide angles, a fast lens isn't really an issue especially with the newer bodies with their great low light performance for most people. Of course, a case can be made to get a fast wide-angle lens but the use case would be a narrow one.

An additional use you can get from a fast wide angle zoom is for astrophotography if that is a possible interest. I got a used Tokina 11-20 f2.8 to try astro (moderate success so far). The larger aperture allows shutter speed to be kept down to get 'sharp' stars.

Every time I look at the AF-P 10-20 though I like the idea of it - so compact and lightweight.

Can the OP pick up a refurb or good used one?

Looking into that ...

Thanks

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Rolleiguy54 Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm

The 16 to 85 is an exceptional lens. AI agree with the Tamron wide zoom. I had both lenses and they work well together.

Not to mix things up but I shoot maor and more landscapes with longer lenses.

Good luck and have fun.

OP ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 19,918
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm
  1. Rolleiguy54 wrote:

The 16 to 85 is an exceptional lens.

I havent used it that much. Plan to more in the coming weeks.

AI agree with the Tamron wide zoom. I had both lenses and they work well together.

Not to mix things up but I shoot maor and more landscapes with longer lenses.

Interesting. Pwrhaps I think in the box too much...that is my mind thinks wide angle for sceneic and landscapes and telephoto for wildlife.

I have a 70 to 300mm AF-P DX..never really thought of using it for landscape type shooting..maybe I should

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks!

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Patrick_CHU New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Keep the 16 to 85mm...or sell it and get AF-P 10 to 20mm

For traveling and if it is a one lens solution, I would pick 16-85mm.  The lens provide better coverage from landscape to people.  Nearly 85% of my pictures taken under this lens coverage.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads