Need to add text commentary to JPEGs?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
pixseal
pixseal Veteran Member • Posts: 3,870
Breezebrowser Pro

Using BreezeBrowser Pro, I was able to insert 8000+ characters of text into a JPG file - I know of no size limit. It's in the metadata under "User Comments".  Breezebrowser can create HTML output that can display the user comments and any other metadata - or you can use Breezebrowser to view and modify the comments. Breezebrowser can also export EXIF data (including your user comments) into a text file.

You can download a free trial version of BreezeBrowser Pro .

-- hide signature --
 pixseal's gear list:pixseal's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +18 more
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,081
Re: Need to add text commentary to JPEGs?

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

canadio wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about PowerPoint but surely somebody has invented an application to solve this problem.

Yes, Microsoft.

You copy and paste an image into PowerPoint and add your text anywhere on the image, or off to the side of an image in an area reserved for text, add arrows, numbering, whatever you want. You can leave all images as a single document, or split them and save them separately.

I do it often. It's very simple.

And you end up with a Power Point file, not a JPEG file.

It can be exported as a png or jpg.

Cheers,
Doug

Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 6,091

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

canadio wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about PowerPoint but surely somebody has invented an application to solve this problem.

Yes, Microsoft.

You copy and paste an image into PowerPoint and add your text anywhere on the image, or off to the side of an image in an area reserved for text, add arrows, numbering, whatever you want. You can leave all images as a single document, or split them and save them separately.

Uh...

Imagine if they had a "save as..." function and you could save to a TIF, GIF, PNG, BMP, and yes... even a JPG file.

1990 here we come!

mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 59,067

Doug J wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

canadio wrote:

Yes, Microsoft.

Most anything can, but that is a long and lossy way to do it. The export to Power Point is a reduced file to start with. And saving it back to JPEG incurs more loss.

There are direct ways to keep it all in JPEG which is a clean and lossless way. The best way I have found is to use a moderate photo editor like ACDSee Photo Studio 2020 like I do. Just add a border to the JPEG image and put the text message in the border. Some photo editors call this expanding the canvas which is the same thing.

Cheers,
Doug

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
mamallama

Jonsi wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

canadio wrote:

Yes, Microsoft.

Uh...

Imagine if they had a "save as..." function and you could save to a TIF, GIF, PNG, BMP, and yes... even a JPG file.

1990 here we come!

See my comments above. It's a long lossy way.

OP canadio New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Breezebrowser Pro

pixseal wrote:

Using BreezeBrowser Pro, I was able to insert 8000+ characters of text into a JPG file - I know of no size limit. It's in the metadata under "User Comments". Breezebrowser can create HTML output that can display the user comments and any other metadata - or you can use Breezebrowser to view and modify the comments. Breezebrowser can also export EXIF data (including your user comments) into a text file.

You can download a free trial version of BreezeBrowser Pro .

Dave, Thank you. BreezeBrowser Pro is the best of what I've trialed so far. It actually has a Add Comment button (well Edit Comment to be precise). The seems to be enough room for thousands of characters also! I also love the light and airy unconvoluted interface. I will be getting the credit card out for this one!

Thank you and everyone who has contributed to this thread with great suggestions and workarounds. I hope this thread saves someone else time.

(I fully understand that other posters mentioned about adding text is considered a metadata feature. I recognise this, but a lot of photo management software does not seem to allow text to be added, edited or viewed in an intuitive way)

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,081

mamallama wrote:

Doug J wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

canadio wrote:

Yes, Microsoft.

Most anything can, but that is a long and lossy way to do it. The export to Power Point is a reduced file to start with. And saving it back to JPEG incurs more loss.

There are direct ways to keep it all in JPEG which is a clean and lossless way. The best way I have found is to use a moderate photo editor like ACDSee Photo Studio 2020 like I do. Just add a border to the JPEG image and put the text message in the border. Some photo editors call this expanding the canvas which is the same thing.

Cheers,
Doug

I was correcting your statement that you ended up with only a Power Point file. It's a very simple, fast and easy way to incorporate text with a photo - copy/paste or insert or drag into a blank slide and then drag to resize if desired. The lossy aspect can be a plus when used for simple documentation needs in business when a commonly available program is needed with a resulting relatively small file.

There are many ways to accomplish what the OP needs as witnessed by the various suggestions in this thread. I personally would use Photoshop if I wanted a lossless high resolution file as that is one of the photo editing programs I have.

Cheers,
Doug

OP canadio New Member • Posts: 12

mamallana, I will be potentially putting hundreds of photos into this "photo management" app . I really don't fancy the prospect of scrolling though PowerPoint slides looking for a specific photo in six months time.  Thanks again for the suggestion - I genuinely appreciated it.

Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 6,091

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

canadio wrote:

Yes, Microsoft.

Uh...

1990 here we come!

See my comments above.

Where you said you don't create JPGs?

Saw it.

It's a long lossy way.

mamallama

Jonsi wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

canadio wrote:

Yes, Microsoft.

Uh...

1990 here we come!

See my comments above.

Where you said you don't create JPGs?

Saw it.

Now do you understand the problems using Power Point and eventually saving it eventually  in JPEG? Wasted effort for an inferior product.

It's a long lossy way.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads