Work-around for missing color profile in Lightroom for 90D?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
pawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,944
Work-around for missing color profile in Lightroom for 90D?

Hi

It does look like Lightroom does not provide matching color profile for 90D.  What are the work-arounds?  Is using DPP, export to TIF and import to Lightroom a work-around? Are there other work-arounds?

Thanks

Duy

-- hide signature --
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 4,922
Re: Work-around for missing color profile in Lightroom for 90D?

I find it hard to believe LR supports the 90D CR3 raw files but doesn't give the option to select a profile.

The latest Photoshop Elements supports the 90D and let's you select a suitable profile for the raw file.

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Ray UK Contributing Member • Posts: 821

I don't use lightroom or a 90D but cannot understand why you would need a camera specific profile if you are shooting raw.

The profile is only going to mimic the Canon picture styles, what am I missing here ?

DavidArmenPhoto Regular Member • Posts: 366

Ray UK wrote:

I don't use lightroom or a 90D but cannot understand why you would need a camera specific profile if you are shooting raw.

The profile is only going to mimic the Canon picture styles, what am I missing here ?

A lot of photographers love the look the original Canon profiles give to their raw photos as a starting point to their edits.

DavidArmenPhoto's gear list:DavidArmenPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +3 more
Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87

DavidArmenPhoto wrote:

Ray UK wrote:

A lot of photographers love the look the original Canon profiles give to their raw photos as a starting point to their edits.

Not sure about the 90D, but with my 80D the Adobe profiles sometimes lead to smeared and muted colours (especially red). On the plus side, Adobe profiles are flatter and sometimes give a better impression of shadow detail and less chroma noise.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @FYLegend21
500px @frankyboy5

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
Fastfreddy74 New Member • Posts: 14

The only workaround is to make your own preset.

Afaik Adobe stopped making camera matching profiles for more recent canon cameras, only exception is the EOS R but they did nothing more than adapting the 6D color profiles (since it has the same sensor)

henrikbengtsson Senior Member • Posts: 1,487

Fastfreddy74 wrote:

Afaik Adobe stopped making camera matching profiles for more recent canon cameras, only exception is the EOS R but they did nothing more than adapting the 6D color profiles (since it has the same sensor)

5D4

henrikbengtsson's gear list:henrikbengtsson's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Fujifilm GFX 50S Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +1 more
Fastfreddy74 New Member • Posts: 14

henrikbengtsson wrote:

Fastfreddy74 wrote:

5D4

Yep, sorry i was thinking about the RP

henrikbengtsson Senior Member • Posts: 1,487
Adobe has cancelled Camera Matching profiles for Canon

For some reason Adobe has stopped making those profiles for Canon. I've had many conversations with Adobe since this BS started and the official explanation is that "it takes time due to the new sensor and fileformat introduced with the R".

This is - of course - not the whole truth. It's been a couple of years now and still no matching profiles. And this is quite interesting. New Canon raw files today using the flat and dull desaturated Adobe profiles look absolutely garbage with default settings. Problem with Adobes profiles is that when you push them, you often get a horrible twist. Canon users today with cameras using the latest sensor generation should really think twice about their RAW developer. I certainily wouldn't use LR "as is". Adobe should have this in mind. You don't want to loose the Canon market.

I have generated my own profiles with Lumariver and sometimes I "hack" older canon DCP profiles for other models and use them. Might work depending on which sensor you use but this is really NOT the way to do it and I think Adobe should get their **#/( together and give Canon users decent looking profiles. They generate them for Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus, Fujifilm....(and probably more)

But NOT for Canon.

Anyway, my recommendation to OP is to either get an Xrite Colorchecker passport and create your own profiles - or head over to https://www.colorfidelity.com/canon.htm and grab one for 90D

henrikbengtsson's gear list:henrikbengtsson's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Fujifilm GFX 50S Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +1 more
Just-a-spaz New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Adobe has cancelled Camera Matching profiles for Canon

Is there any way to get a profile for my SL3? I tried using the M50 profile but it was way off. I thought the M50 used the same sensor and processor, maybe I’m wrong.

nolten Contributing Member • Posts: 814

You might contact the fellow at Color Fidelity and see if he will make one for you.  His email is on his web page.  I just purchased color profiles for my 90D and M6II and they seem an improvement over the Adobe profiles.

You might also see if you can adapt an SL2 profile.  I believe the two cameras have the same sensor.

nolten's gear list:nolten's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS 90D
Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87

I agree about the Adobe profiles being flat and dull, but do you notice any colour bleeding when using them? On the 80D the Camera profiles give more consistent colours on edges (bird legs and beaks, for example) while the Adobe profiles cause these to be badly smeared. However, the camera profile also makes chroma noise apparent and sometimes gives the impression of too much contrast and under exposure  (this was sometimes pretty bad with the 760D).

-- hide signature --

Instagram @FYLegend21
500px @frankyboy5

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
OP pawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,944

pawn wrote:

Hi

It does look like Lightroom does not provide matching color profile for 90D. What are the work-arounds? Is using DPP, export to TIF and import to Lightroom a work-around? Are there other work-arounds?

Thanks

Duy

Thanks All for the help.  It looks like Color Fidelity is an option.

-- hide signature --
Just-a-spaz New Member • Posts: 18

nolten wrote:

You might contact the fellow at Color Fidelity and see if he will make one for you. His email is on his web page. I just purchased color profiles for my 90D and M6II and they seem an improvement over the Adobe profiles.

You might also see if you can adapt an SL2 profile. I believe the two cameras have the same sensor.

I thought the SL2 uses CR2 file format. I tried using the M50 profile and the colors were way off. Maybe I did it wrong, but I opened the M50 profile in DNG Profile Editor, and then I saved it as a new profile.

Yes, the SL2 (nice little camera) is .CR2 and Adobe provides camera matching color profiles.  AFIK the SL3 has the same sensor as the SL2 and should have the same color response at the sensor level.

I considered for a brief time getting an RP to use along side my M6II.  The RP has the same sensor as the 6DII and I found several internet posts on how to migrate an Adobe 6DII profile for use with the RP.  Never tried it since I've decided against the R series and bought a 90D instead.  But it might be an avenue to try.

WildImages
WildImages Contributing Member • Posts: 682

henrikbengtsson wrote:

I have generated my own profiles with Lumariver and sometimes I "hack" older canon DCP profiles for other models and use them. Might work depending on which sensor you use but this is really NOT the way to do it and I think Adobe should get their **#/( together and give Canon users decent looking profiles. They generate them for Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus, Fujifilm....(and probably more)

But NOT for Canon.

Anyway, my recommendation to OP is to either get an Xrite Colorchecker passport and create your own profiles - or head over to https://www.colorfidelity.com/canon.htm and grab one for 90D

How much are those custom profiles?  The link above doesn't have costs but has a link to checkout.

Charlie

WildImages's gear list:WildImages's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon 1 AW1 Canon EOS 90D Sony a9 Canon EOS R5 +11 more

$15 per camera.  I have the M6II and 90D profiles (∑ $30) and find them much closer to Canon standard than the Adobe profiles.  I use Camera Landscape quite a bit.

WildImages

nolten wrote:

$15 per camera. I have the M6II and 90D profiles (∑ $30) and find them much closer to Canon standard than the Adobe profiles. I use Camera Landscape quite a bit.

Thank you very much!

WildImages

nolten wrote:

$15 per camera. I have the M6II and 90D profiles (∑ $30) and find them much closer to Canon standard than the Adobe profiles. I use Camera Landscape quite a bit.

Thank you very much!

cnyphotoguy Regular Member • Posts: 329

nolten wrote:

I use Camera Landscape quite a bit.

I was curious about these, wondering if they're mostly helpful to portrait photographers compared to other shooters.  By use of the Camera Landscape profile...I assume you're finding these helpful even for landscape shots?

cnyphotoguy's gear list:cnyphotoguy's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads