This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020

Started Oct 3, 2020 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 456
This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020

(apologies for the delay, I was offline for a while)

Welcome to another monthly thread. Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

  • Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2020: Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2019: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2018: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

-- hide signature --

WSSA Member #454 - Worldwide Squirrel Shooters Association

 holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
A few from the garden
2

Just to start populating this thread:

Playing round with MF lenses again ( maybe to use in burst mode in low light macro )  so taken with a contax g 2/45 planar all at f2 and iso 160 on a V3.

Focussing is a bit hit and miss without magnification etc

One thing I am finding useful on the V3 is the exposure indicator bar displayed in the VF. Since I am just looking at legacy primes at f2 or brighter near base ISO and the camera in M of course, I just set that exposure and use the rear command deal to adjust shutter speed to get the exposure - ignoring DoF at the moment.

A few late minature rosebuds

Swedish Flower Hybrid chicken - about 12 weeks old - no eggs till next year - just consuming huge amounts of feed at the moment.

Acer Griseum ( Paper bark maple )

One of our Shelties - nearly still enough for me to focus on him

Bergonia leaves after the rain

Swedish Flower X ? hybrid 18 weeks

Alstoemeria

MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 997
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020

this is from today forgot to set date on camera

 MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Panasonic G85 +11 more
fuoriclasse Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020
3

Taken with my V2 18.5mm this past weekend

I thought that this was a cool structure in the middle of various farmlands off a highway

I think that the changing tree colors in the back add to the “autumn” vibe of this photo

RichDitch
RichDitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,463
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020

fuoriclasse wrote:

Taken with my V2 18.5mm this past weekend

I thought that this was a cool structure in the middle of various farmlands off a highway

I think that the changing tree colors in the back add to the “autumn” vibe of this photo

I like this a lot. Wonderfully rich color. An early overlooked subject - good eye seeing the potential.

-- hide signature --

You can see a lot just by looking.
WSSA #449

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,822
Two nice lenses for N1!

The Voigtlander 20/3.5 SL II and the 58/1.4 SL II are excellent for FT1 and your favorite Nikon 1 camera!

These were shot with my modified 10 (aka 7.9 or 8) by the way.

Have a great day!

Tord aka Tord55

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,822
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020

fuoriclasse wrote:

Taken with my V2 18.5mm this past weekend

I thought that this was a cool structure in the middle of various farmlands off a highway

I think that the changing tree colors in the back add to the “autumn” vibe of this photo

Lovely shot!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020

MIKE1111 wrote:

this is from today forgot to set date on camera

Lovely - I like this a lot. The cx70-300 is giving great detail on the V2 and I like the rich autumnal colours of the twiggy foliage background to the sparrow.

Hope you will post some more of your shots please ?

Richard

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
Re: Two nice lenses for N1!

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

The Voigtlander 20/3.5 SL II and the 58/1.4 SL II are excellent for FT1 and your favorite Nikon 1 camera!

These were shot with my modified 10 (aka 7.9 or 8) by the way.

Have a great day!

Tord aka Tord55

You are trying to tempt us again Tord aren't you?  Particularly for the 58 SL II which I should have bought when I had the opportunity.  Just need to work out what I can sell...

Richard

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020

fuoriclasse wrote:

Taken with my V2 18.5mm this past weekend

I thought that this was a cool structure in the middle of various farmlands off a highway

I think that the changing tree colors in the back add to the “autumn” vibe of this photo

Great photo  - I wonder what it was for?  wood store?  Anyway lovely rich and natural ( to my eyes ) Nikon colours.  Autumn is a great time for landscape photography - even when the light is iffy, the foliage colours are sumptious.

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,822
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020
2

I love fountain pens and the Voigtlander 58/1.4 is s great lens, so why not combine the two?!

The 58/1.4 is a lovely lens, with a nice bokeh, super-smooth focusing ring, and a 100% glass and metal design. No problems with AF as it has none.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,822
Re: Two nice lenses for N1!

rich_cx139 wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

The Voigtlander 20/3.5 SL II and the 58/1.4 SL II are excellent for FT1 and your favorite Nikon 1 camera!

These were shot with my modified 10 (aka 7.9 or 8) by the way.

Have a great day!

Tord aka Tord55

You are trying to tempt us again Tord aren't you? Particularly for the 58 SL II which I should have bought when I had the opportunity. Just need to work out what I can sell...

Richard,

I think my set of primes are near perfect for DX and Nikon 1 (the only Nikon 1 prime I have is the 7.9, and the 18.5, of course): 7.9/2.8, 14/2.8, 18.5/1.8, 20/3.5, 30/1.4, 40/2.8 Micro, 58/1.4, 85/3.5 VR Micro, 105/2.8 macro, 135/1.8, and 400/5.6 AI.

Of these, I use these quite a lot: 7.9, 30, 40, & 135. All very convenient, the first three small and compact, and very good focusers, while the 135 is the sharpest lens I've come across, and fast-focusing, as well. Next comes the 58/1.4, and the 85/3.5 VR. A little more special, delightful for portraits, just as the 135. On FX it is mainly 14, 20, and 135, plus 58 and 105.

My zooms are the 6.7-13, 70-200/4.0G, 70-300 (one CX, one AF-P), 100-400 C, and the 150-600 S. The most used zooms are the two 70-300 (the AF-P is amazingly sharp around 135mm, the CX wins with ease in the long end).

58/1.4, lovely bokeh. No crop, very little adjustments. Pen bought in Oxford, utterly delightful.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
Re: Two nice lenses for N1!

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

The Voigtlander 20/3.5 SL II and the 58/1.4 SL II are excellent for FT1 and your favorite Nikon 1 camera!

These were shot with my modified 10 (aka 7.9 or 8) by the way.

Have a great day!

Tord aka Tord55

You are trying to tempt us again Tord aren't you? Particularly for the 58 SL II which I should have bought when I had the opportunity. Just need to work out what I can sell...

Richard,

I think my set of primes are near perfect for DX and Nikon 1 (the only Nikon 1 prime I have is the 7.9, and the 18.5, of course): 7.9/2.8, 14/2.8, 18.5/1.8, 20/3.5, 30/1.4, 40/2.8 Micro, 58/1.4, 85/3.5 VR Micro, 105/2.8 macro, 135/1.8, and 400/5.6 AI.

Of these, I use these quite a lot: 7.9, 30, 40, & 135. All very convenient, the first three small and compact, and very good focusers, while the 135 is the sharpest lens I've come across, and fast-focusing, as well. Next comes the 58/1.4, and the 85/3.5 VR. A little more special, delightful for portraits, just as the 135. On FX it is mainly 14, 20, and 135, plus 58 and 105.

My zooms are the 6.7-13, 70-200/4.0G, 70-300 (one CX, one AF-P), 100-400 C, and the 150-600 S. The most used zooms are the two 70-300 (the AF-P is amazingly sharp around 135mm, the CX wins with ease in the long end).

58/1.4, lovely bokeh. No crop, very little adjustments. Pen bought in Oxford, utterly delightful.

Hi Tord,

an interesting and pretty complete ( it seems )  coverage of primes that you have - and i might come back to that,

I recognise most of these from what you have written previously of course: I guess the 7.9 is the 2.8/10 with the Panasonic wide angle attachment ?

Inadvertently, you have prompted me to think about what I actually have that I need and so what I might sell to get hold of the 58 SL II.  It is one of two lenses that I still would like - the other being a bright ( 1.8 or 1.4 ) 28 mm manual focus or auto FF for photography indoors when I can't use tripod or flash - your 1.4/30 is the sigma DX lens isn't it ?  Maybe I'll get the af-s 1.8/28 G sometime.

Have you noticed that Nikon has a strange relationship with the 28's:  2.8/28 ai not so good, 2.8/28 ai-s CF ( I have ) excellent, 28 AF-D based on the ai; 1.8/28 af-s G again very good - and now for the Z - only some promised pancake 28 which we know little about.

As well as the 10 and 18.5  N1 primes, the primes I use most are the 2.8/28's ( ais and C/Y ), 1.7/50 planar, and some medium C/Y or CG  teles:  planar 1.4/85 and sonnar 2.8/90 and the C/Y 3.5/100 then the 2.8/180 AF-D and the 300 pf ( my most expensive lens investment by far ).  For wides I just use an adapated set of contax G 21 and 28 biogons.  What I might sell to fund the 58 is a 2.8/21 Distagon which I rarely use these days.

Nice fountain pen by the way.  I am also a fountain pen user - but no collector-  and abandoned the usual UK Parkers for the inexpensive German Lamy Safaris' - great , smooth flow and I have had no problems with them at all.

richard

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,822
Re: Two nice lenses for N1!

rich_cx139 wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

rich_cx139 wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

The Voigtlander 20/3.5 SL II and the 58/1.4 SL II are excellent for FT1 and your favorite Nikon 1 camera!

These were shot with my modified 10 (aka 7.9 or 8) by the way.

Have a great day!

Tord aka Tord55

You are trying to tempt us again Tord aren't you? Particularly for the 58 SL II which I should have bought when I had the opportunity. Just need to work out what I can sell...

Richard,

I think my set of primes are near perfect for DX and Nikon 1 (the only Nikon 1 prime I have is the 7.9, and the 18.5, of course): 7.9/2.8, 14/2.8, 18.5/1.8, 20/3.5, 30/1.4, 40/2.8 Micro, 58/1.4, 85/3.5 VR Micro, 105/2.8 macro, 135/1.8, and 400/5.6 AI.

Of these, I use these quite a lot: 7.9, 30, 40, & 135. All very convenient, the first three small and compact, and very good focusers, while the 135 is the sharpest lens I've come across, and fast-focusing, as well. Next comes the 58/1.4, and the 85/3.5 VR. A little more special, delightful for portraits, just as the 135. On FX it is mainly 14, 20, and 135, plus 58 and 105.

My zooms are the 6.7-13, 70-200/4.0G, 70-300 (one CX, one AF-P), 100-400 C, and the 150-600 S. The most used zooms are the two 70-300 (the AF-P is amazingly sharp around 135mm, the CX wins with ease in the long end).

58/1.4, lovely bokeh. No crop, very little adjustments. Pen bought in Oxford, utterly delightful.

Hi Tord,

Hi Richard!

an interesting and pretty complete ( it seems ) coverage of primes that you have - and i might come back to that,

I recognise most of these from what you have written previously of course: I guess the 7.9 is the 2.8/10 with the Panasonic wide angle attachment ?

Indeed it is!

Inadvertently, you have prompted me to think about what I actually have that I need and so what I might sell to get hold of the 58 SL II. It is one of two lenses that I still would like - the other being a bright ( 1.8 or 1.4 ) 28 mm manual focus or auto FF for photography indoors when I can't use tripod or flash - your 1.4/30 is the sigma DX lens isn't it ?

Yup, surprisingly sharp. The m43 version is said to be even better, and it might. My wife bought that gem after my recommendation! Not yet done tests side by side. The Sigma 60 (the new version, not the 2.8) for m43 is superb. My wife sold hers to finance buying her P 35-100/2.8 (another great lens, on par with the Olympus 40-150 PRO, but so much lighter, and just as sharp)!

Maybe I'll get the af-s 1.8/28 G sometime.

Had that at one time, years ago, when I had a lot to spend!

Have you noticed that Nikon has a strange relationship with the 28's: 2.8/28 ai not so good, 2.8/28 ai-s CF ( I have ) excellent, 28 AF-D based on the ai; 1.8/28 af-s G again very good - and now for the Z - only some promised pancake 28 which we know little about.

Don't remember which version I had, probably the G.

As well as the 10 and 18.5 N1 primes, the primes I use most are the 2.8/28's ( ais and C/Y ), 1.7/50 planar, and some medium C/Y or CG teles: planar 1.4/85 and sonnar 2.8/90 and the C/Y 3.5/100 then the 2.8/180 AF-D and the 300 pf ( my most expensive lens investment by far ). For wides I just use an adapated set of contax G 21 and 28 biogons. What I might sell to fund the 58 is a 2.8/21 Distagon which I rarely use these days.

My 7.9 is approximately equal to a 22 ;-)!

Nice fountain pen by the way. I am also a fountain pen user - but no collector- and abandoned the usual UK Parkers for the inexpensive German Lamy Safaris' - great , smooth flow and I have had no problems with them at all.

My collection is small, at one time I sold Rotring's fountain pens, and Montblanc (which are made in Berlin, imagine that!). The pen in the photo is a Delta, from Italy, as many good pens are. I've got an Autograph, a Waterman (bought that in Blackpool), a Meister-Stück (Montblanc, I sold that to myself at a very friendly price), and an Emiliano (bought that at Heathrow!).

That's all the pens that are left, plus some cheap ones from Rotring! I had more once, but one got stolen at work (a Parker) and another, a Pelikan, got ruined by a drunk colleague ('eh, let me borrow that, it was such a long time I used one' and then the nib was totally ruined).

I love drawing with pen and Indian ink, but fountain pens are simpler to use!

All the best,

Tord

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
Darin M Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020
1

Nikon j5, Nikkor 70-300mm CX @ 300mm, 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 160

butfly
butfly Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020
2

Oct. 1st.

-- hide signature --

that all knowledge was but remembrance,
and that all novelty is but oblivion.

 butfly's gear list:butfly's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 V3 +19 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,098
Pleasant Evening to walk the pug
4

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

 Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Darin M Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020
1

A few more, from last week:

Nikon j5, Nikkor 70-300mm CX @ 70mm, 1/2000, f/4.5, ISO 160

Nikon j5, Nikkor 70-300mm CX @ 208mm, 1/2000, f/5.6, ISO 160

Nikon j5, Nikkor 70-300mm CX @ 228.9mm, 1/1250, f/5.6, ISO 160

MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 997
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2020
2

humming bird are not scared of peop

le

 MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Panasonic G85 +11 more
MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 997
Re: Pleasant Evening to walk the pug

nice

 MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Panasonic G85 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads