P950 As Birder's Tool

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Avian2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,802
P950 As Birder's Tool

To cut a long story short, P950 would be a capable add-on tool to my enjoyable reflex combo.

It has some serious caveats, but I will override or bypass them. One of them is that small buffer thing. I will simply use a single-shot mode and won't bother about it. Just hope Nikon will issue a firmware update.

Here are a couple of images of the Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) female.

Northern Wheatear female in morning sun

Northern Wheatear female looking a bit puffed-up. It was a slightly chilly during the session.

Stay healthy!

threed123
threed123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
Re: P950 As Birder's Tool

Nice pics! The P950 with it's great resolution and depth-of-field is the perfect birder camera.

DAP MV
DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 641

Avian2016 wrote:

It has some serious caveats, but I will override or bypass them. One of them is that small buffer thing. I will simply use a single-shot mode and won't bother about it. Just hope Nikon will issue a firmware update.

A number of picture a camera is capable of buffering depends on the amount of RAM memory in the camera, so in this case hardware, not firmware is a limiting factor.

The only way that would allow to increase this number is to increase the amount of memory. But then the electronics would be different, and it wouldn't be P950 anymore...

Thus, I would not count for a firmware fix for it.

-- hide signature --

Darius

DAP MV's gear list:DAP MV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P950
OP Avian2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,802

Thank you for your comment.

Well, when mentioning the firmware update I was thinking of the cam's processor speed. Nikon might have limited the max. number of frames allowed in the buffer to match the performance of the processor. Maybe a firmware update could allow the number of Jpeg/RAW files shot at 7fps to increase.

Thanks threed123.

DAP MV
DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 641

Avian2016 wrote:

Then Nikon still has the possibility to develop the P950 MkII in the future.

To put it jokingly, yet with a serious note:

Don’t complain, excellent quality of your pictures proves that you can perfectly do without a bigger buffer in the camera!

And now more seriously:

There are many features that P1000/P950 (and P900, too) lack. The one that I would really like to see is direct way to change ISO. Unfortunately, doing it right requires adding an extra knob—so it’s also a hardware change...

-- hide signature --

Darius

DAP MV's gear list:DAP MV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P950
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 20,126
Buffer limitation..workaround..firmware

Excellent shots Avian.

As for the buffer limitation, 2 things:

1. As for firmware , it's true its hardware limitation.

But a firmware update (don't count on one) could allow for another , better Medium burst rate. Currently I think it's set for just over 1 fps. I recall EVF freeze, too.

Firmware could allow for 3 or 4fps, with no change of hardware. It would fill quicker than the 1fps mode, but take longer to fill than H setting,

Either way, after taking a few shots, one can't zoom to recompose until camera is done unloading buffer (so 2010-15)

2. a work a round (for me) is to take 2 to 4 shots, let off the shutter and take another short burst,  if needed. Camera will allow for re focusing, but not able to zoom. You can keep doing this if subject warrants .

You'll notice it doesn't always AF as fast as your F1000 did.

My 4 to 5 year old superzooms from Panasonics were able to multitask...not these superzooms from Nikon

Still, as there is no perfect camera for everyone..it is indeed an excellent tool for wildlife, birds, small subjects or far away subjects.

Some will love the 24 to 2000mm range and use all of it as a all around camera.

Nikon was brave to come out with a lens reaching 2000mm with the original king, P900.

Even more so with the P1000 and 3000mm !

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Yes, I will do without it, no problem. I wrote it in the first place.

Re: Buffer limitation..workaround..firmware

Thanks for your comments&clarifications.

Stay healthy!

Augustin Man
Augustin Man Forum Pro • Posts: 10,731

Those are excellent images with awesome feather details!

Regarding the buffer problem, I don't understand why they gave the useful BSS up   Without it, I set my P1000 camera to continuous H and shot only2-3 images, thus I don't "feel" the buffer limitations. Mind you, that's only a suggestion.

Happy shooting and stay safe,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000

Thank you Augustin.

Morning sunlight and a clear atmosphere helped a lot to achieve such a positive output.

Stay healthy!

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,715

Avian2016 wrote:

To cut a long story short, P950 would be a capable add-on tool to my enjoyable reflex combo.

Here are a couple of images of the Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) female.

Northern Wheatear female looking a bit puffed-up. It was a slightly chilly during the session.

Stay healthy!

Fantastic pictures!

I think you and your P950 is doing just fine.

YES, having more "buffer" is always something we desire.

Truthfully, the P950 already have a buffer increase compared to the P900.

However, since we both have experiences with the Canon SX70 camera,

which seems to have an endless buffer, it's like being in buffer heaven.

As mentioned, cannot change the P950 hardware,

but I think if can have improvements through software,

then I think Nikon should try to do it by using software updates.

In the meantime,

as suggested by Augustin,

to try shorter bursts, that's what I usually do.

Stay safe everyone.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

....................Cheers, John.....................
.....If I don't respond to your post,.....
...it means you're on my ignore list,..
...................words matter!...................

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix B700 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Canon PowerShot SX70

Thanks John for positively encouraging thoughts.

I have already tried low fsp bursts but found a single shot more effective in the end.

I was doubting if I can get the sharpness and detail similar to that I saw in, say, Dodge, sunjester or ANAYV images. To my pleasure, it turned out "Yes I can." Those Northern Wheatear images show I am approaching in the right direction.

jshen808

Avian2016 wrote:

Thanks John for positively encouraging thoughts.

I have already tried low fsp bursts but found a single shot more effective in the end.

I was doubting if I can get the sharpness and detail similar to that I saw in, say, Dodge, sunjester or ANAYV images. To my pleasure, it turned out "Yes I can." Those Northern Wheatear images show I am approaching in the right direction.

You're doing great!

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Thank you John.

You're certainly one of the most supportive and positive souls on DPR. Appreciate that.

Dodge_Rock
Dodge_Rock Senior Member • Posts: 2,720
She's a beauty!

Avian2016 wrote:

P950 is almost the perfect birders tool, especially as a companion or even a replacement for binoculars.   You can start out at a wide angle, then zoom into the bird & quickly snap a pic, or two, or three, or more.  Then you'll have a permanent record of what you saw and if you can hold the camera steady, it'll be a good one.  Of course, if bird fever kicks in & the camera is shaking like you're in an earthquake, then maybe the pic won't be so good.  At least it was fun.  Best part of photo vs binocs is you can then share them with friends and re-live the adventure!

I've given up on the buffer limitation & just shoot several single shots in rapid succession.  Most times, the first image is the clearest, but not always!  Nikon rarely issues firmware updates for their s-zooms that address something as significant as the buffer or ISO settings, so I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.

Stay healthy!

Love your images of the she-wheatear .   Had to look her up, as we don't have any around here.  Lighting was excellent & lighting is everything, no matter sensor size.  I doubt anyone could've done better with any camera!

Dodge_Rock's gear list:Dodge_Rock's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950
Re: She's a beauty!

Dodge_Rock wrote:

Avian2016 wrote:

P950 is almost the perfect birders tool, especially as a companion or even a replacement for binoculars. You can start out at a wide angle, then zoom into the bird & quickly snap a pic, or two, or three, or more. Then you'll have a permanent record of what you saw and if you can hold the camera steady, it'll be a good one. Of course, if bird fever kicks in & the camera is shaking like you're in an earthquake, then maybe the pic won't be so good. At least it was fun. Best part of photo vs binocs is you can then share them with friends and re-live the adventure!

Agreed completely.

I've given up on the buffer limitation & just shoot several single shots in rapid succession. Most times, the first image is the clearest, but not always! Nikon rarely issues firmware updates for their s-zooms that address something as significant as the buffer or ISO settings, so I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.

I've been already following your advice. And it simply works. :))

I'll do the best with what I have.

Stay healthy!

Love your images of the she-wheatear . Had to look her up, as we don't have any around here. Lighting was excellent & lighting is everything, no matter sensor size. I doubt anyone could've done better with any camera!

Yep, it was a morning light and I took advantage of it.

Thanks for your kind words. Appreciated.

Stay healthy Dodge as I enjoy your good work you post on Flickr.

jshen808

Avian2016 wrote:

Thank you John.

You're certainly one of the most supportive and positive souls on DPR. Appreciate that.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads