R5 IBIS not working with Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD?

Started Oct 2, 2020 | Discussions
tomarse Regular Member • Posts: 216
R5 IBIS not working with Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD?

Hi,

I have just received my Tamron 35mm lens and by accident discovered that IBIS is not working even though the R5 shows the symbol with the hand (IBIS activated). The shakiness is definitely noticeable in 15x zoom view when handholding (as well as in images taken at e.g. 1/10-1/15 sec, which should not be a problem at 35mm with IBIS activated).

To be sure, I have compared it to my RF 24-70/2.8 at 35mm with IS activated (on the lens) - this config is absolutely smooth and produces tack sharp images.

Anyone else has an R5 and a Tamron 35/1.4 and can confirm this?

Or might the IBIS unit in my R5 be defective? Is there any way I can find out whether IBIS works in my camera without having any other unstabilized lens (except for the Tamron)?

Thank you very much!

Thomas

Canon EOS R5 Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Franz Kerschbaum
Franz Kerschbaum Contributing Member • Posts: 905
Re: R5 IBIS not working with Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD?

Sigma has a similar problem but give a soltion via their dock,... https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/operating-conditions-of-the-sigma-lenses-with-canon-r5/

Franz Kerschbaum's gear list:Franz Kerschbaum's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R5 +23 more
OP tomarse Regular Member • Posts: 216

Franz Kerschbaum wrote:

Sigma has a similar problem but give a soltion via their dock,... https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/operating-conditions-of-the-sigma-lenses-with-canon-r5/

Thank you, Franz. For Tamron's 35mm, there is not firmware update available so far.

The IBIS seems to be working, I was able to check it without a lens attached, the sensor seems to "float" around when IBIS is activated.

So I guess I will ask Tamron support if they're up to something.

Grüße aus FloDo

pkoenig2001 Contributing Member • Posts: 816
 pkoenig2001's gear list:pkoenig2001's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 +9 more

pkoenig2001 wrote:

See this -

http://tamronsingapore.com.sg/news/notice-about-compatibility-for-canon-eos-r5-eos-r6-with-tamron-lenses/

Oh, thank you very much for this information. Hope that it does not take too long!

tomarse wrote:

pkoenig2001 wrote:

See this -

http://tamronsingapore.com.sg/news/notice-about-compatibility-for-canon-eos-r5-eos-r6-with-tamron-lenses/

Oh, thank you very much for this information. Hope that it does not take too long!

Me too/ good luck

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 +9 more

tomarse wrote:

Hi,

I have just received my Tamron 35mm lens and by accident discovered that IBIS is not working even though the R5 shows the symbol with the hand (IBIS activated). The shakiness is definitely noticeable in 15x zoom view when handholding (as well as in images taken at e.g. 1/10-1/15 sec, which should not be a problem at 35mm with IBIS activated).

To be sure, I have compared it to my RF 24-70/2.8 at 35mm with IS activated (on the lens) - this config is absolutely smooth and produces tack sharp images.

Or might the IBIS unit in my R5 be defective? Is there any way I can find out whether IBIS works in my camera without having any other unstabilized lens (except for the Tamron)?

Thank you very much!

Thomas

Just wanted to let those of you who might also be impacted, that Tamron released a firmware update for the 35mm/1.4 two days ago which resolves the issue. Works now flawlessly with IBIS!

Thomas

tomarse wrote:

tomarse wrote:

Hi,

Thank you very much!

Thomas

Just wanted to let those of you who might also be impacted, that Tamron released a firmware update for the 35mm/1.4 two days ago which resolves the issue. Works now flawlessly with IBIS!

Thomas

Can the OP of this thread, or anyone else in the community, share their impressions of this lens with the R5 or R6?  I am considering an RF 35mm f/1.8 but this lens caught my eye - as I have had good experience with the Tamron 100-400.  For my personal needs, I could not justify the cost of an EF 35 1.4, for example - but was wondering if this was a good choice - would it provide better IQ than the RF 35?

Any information appreciated - thanks!

-- hide signature --
JConrad Regular Member • Posts: 289

I got one a few weeks ago. Great lens - sharp from f/1.4, good AF and very nice rendering.

JConrad's gear list:JConrad's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Fujifilm X100V Canon EOS R6 +9 more

JConrad wrote:

I got one a few weeks ago. Great lens - sharp from f/1.4, good AF and very nice rendering.

Thanks - very much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

I picked up this lens at B&H yesterday and updated the firmware so that the IBIS on the R6 works properly (with adapter, of course).  So far, I am very pleased.  It appears to be a nice less costly alternative to the Canon EF 35mm 1.4 L (which, by most accounts, is the best in class).  The Tamron has a solid build and feels good on the R6 - a bit hefty weighing 815g vs the Canon EF 35 1.4 L at 760g.  By comparison, the RF 35 1.8 is light weight at 305g.

A couple of quick test shots -

Katie

-- hide signature --
Dimebag Darrell Forum Member • Posts: 65

Good to know,

I was thinking that the IBIS was only available when you coupled only with Canon Lenses

Dimebag Darrell's gear list:Dimebag Darrell's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +2 more
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 25,110

tomarse wrote:

Hi,

I suspected that the IBIS was not working right on my R5, because it seemed disappointing and even harmful in some cases, but from reading other people's comments, I think that Canon simply has not put much effort into making sure IBIS is more helpful than harmful with EF-mount lenses, and doesn't take 3rd-party EF lenses into consideration at all.

In some cases, the problem is big because 3rd-party lenses sometimes identify themselves with their true focal length in the name of the lens, but in the EXIF detail they claim to have a different focal length, or be a real Canon lens with a very different focal length.  With even a perfect-tracking IBIS, the wrong assumed focal length can wreak havoc.  For a lens that is actually 35mm, you should get the best results when the IBIS assumes 35mm, but if it assumed 1mm, then the motions of the camera would only by 1/35 corrected, almost like no correction at all.  If it assumed 17.5mm, you'd get about half correction, which could be better than nothing, but not as good as assuming 35mm.  If the assumption goes beyond 35mm, then the efficacy of the IBIS starts to drop up to an assumption of 70mm, in which case you will get the full motion blur, like no correction at all, but in the opposite direction (inverted motion).  Beyond 35mm, you get the potential to have more camera motion blur than you would with no stabilization at all; with an assumption of 140mm, you would have 3x the original actual motion blur.  One lens I have has one of these huge wrong fl assumptions; I have an old Sigma 12-24 zoom that I bought about 15 years ago, and it presents itself to the body as if it were an 85mm Canon prime!  So, at 12mm, it overcorrects for 7x the focal length, giving 6x the original motion!  You can see the FOV wobbling in the EVF, with no magnification at all.

I am not at all impressed with R5 IBIS with Canon EF lenses, either, whether adding X/Y and roll correction to IS lenses, or using full IBIS for lenses with no IS of their own, unless all you want out of IBIS is what the CIPA standards actually "promise": a stable-looking postcard-sized image at 450mm from the eyes (standard postcard viewing).  That is not a very demanding standard at all, regarding any intended higher magnification.  I, and many others, have expressed a wish to be able to turn off IBIS with EF IS lenses, where IBIS seems to ruin more high-magnification shots than it helps.  I haven't conducted a controlled comparison yet, but I think that I have had better stability with my telephoto lenses with in-lens IS on my 90D than I do with my R5, at the pixel level, which should be the opposite, as larger pixels should seem more stable at 100% pixel view.  If I am shooting my 400/4DO II at 800mm, I would seem to get 9 out of 10 critically sharp (ignoring subject motion) with the 90D, but I seem to only get about 6 with the R5, and its added IBIS, at a lower standard, due to larger pixels.

At this point in time, I would not lean too much on Canon R-series IBIS for EF mount lenses, unless you are talking about EF lenses and you don't look or display at high magnification.  If you are not demanding with magnification, them IBIS can be very, very helpful in containing the blur to a small size if the correct focal length is assumed, especially with lenses with no IS of their own.

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 7,578

John Sheehy wrote:

tomarse wrote:

Hi,

I suspected that the IBIS was not working right on my R5, because it seemed disappointing and even harmful in some cases, but from reading other people's comments, I think that Canon simply has not put much effort into making sure IBIS is more helpful than harmful with EF-mount lenses, and doesn't take 3rd-party EF lenses into consideration at all.

In some cases, the problem is big because 3rd-party lenses sometimes identify themselves with their true focal length in the name of the lens, but in the EXIF detail they claim to have a different focal length, or be a real Canon lens with a very different focal length. With even a perfect-tracking IBIS, the wrong assumed focal length can wreak havoc. For a lens that is actually 35mm, you should get the best results when the IBIS assumes 35mm, but if it assumed 1mm, then the motions of the camera would only by 1/35 corrected, almost like no correction at all. If it assumed 17.5mm, you'd get about half correction, which could be better than nothing, but not as good as assuming 35mm. If the assumption goes beyond 35mm, then the efficacy of the IBIS starts to drop up to an assumption of 70mm, in which case you will get the full motion blur, like no correction at all, but in the opposite direction (inverted motion). Beyond 35mm, you get the potential to have more camera motion blur than you would with no stabilization at all; with an assumption of 140mm, you would have 3x the original actual motion blur. One lens I have has one of these huge wrong fl assumptions; I have an old Sigma 12-24 zoom that I bought about 15 years ago, and it presents itself to the body as if it were an 85mm Canon prime! So, at 12mm, it overcorrects for 7x the focal length, giving 6x the original motion! You can see the FOV wobbling in the EVF, with no magnification at all.

I am not at all impressed with R5 IBIS with Canon EF lenses, either, whether adding X/Y and roll correction to IS lenses, or using full IBIS for lenses with no IS of their own,

Is this for telephoto focal lengths or also about standard zoom ranges?

unless all you want out of IBIS is what the CIPA standards actually "promise": a stable-looking postcard-sized image at 450mm from the eyes (standard postcard viewing).

Those standards should be updated.

That is not a very demanding standard at all, regarding any intended higher magnification. I, and many others, have expressed a wish to be able to turn off IBIS with EF IS lenses, where IBIS seems to ruin more high-magnification shots than it helps. I haven't conducted a controlled comparison yet, but I think that I have had better stability with my telephoto lenses with in-lens IS on my 90D than I do with my R5, at the pixel level, which should be the opposite, as larger pixels should seem more stable at 100% pixel view. If I am shooting my 400/4DO II at 800mm, I would seem to get 9 out of 10 critically sharp (ignoring subject motion) with the 90D, but I seem to only get about 6 with the R5, and its added IBIS, at a lower standard, due to larger pixels.

At this point in time, I would not lean too much on Canon R-series IBIS for EF mount lenses, unless you are talking about EF lenses and you don't look or display at high magnification. If you are not demanding with magnification, them IBIS can be very, very helpful in containing the blur to a small size if the correct focal length is assumed, especially with lenses with no IS of their own.

I'm demanding in magnification, however, all I need is max two stops with my EF 24-70mm f/2.8 mkII and just one stop with my Sigma 105mm f/1.4 Art.

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +18 more
Dimebag Darrell Forum Member • Posts: 65

Dimebag Darrell wrote:

Good to know,

I was thinking that the IBIS was only available when you coupled only with Canon Lenses

Why I'm asking that, 
I've currently the EOS RP, and the EOSR6 seems to have a better dynamic range

The IBIS option seems as well a nice option to have.

Three of my lenses are Tamron (24-70G2, 35 F1.4 and 85 F1.8)

Does that move from RP to R6 is insightful ? moreover with my current lenses park

Dimebag Darrell's gear list:Dimebag Darrell's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +2 more
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 25,110

thunder storm wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

I am not at all impressed with R5 IBIS with Canon EF lenses, either, whether adding X/Y and roll correction to IS lenses, or using full IBIS for lenses with no IS of their own,

Is this for telephoto focal lengths or also about standard zoom ranges?

Across the board, pretty much, but longer focal lengths seem to work a little bit better for something like pixel-level views of 10/fl.  For example, I took a 12mm extension tube with taped pins, to break communication with a 150-600 zoom, set the lens to 500mm put on a 2x TC, and set IBIS manually to the (very low) maximum of 1000mm, and at 1/100s, I did get about half images that were acceptably sharp at 100%.  When IBIS is added (X/Y and roll) to EF lenses, though, it doesn't seem to help matters much.  First of all, these are least-need corrections, so if they are even a little bit less than perfect, they can add more jitter than they correct if not needed.  I didn't see any "roll" in images before IBIS, and X/Y is mainly useful for very high optical magnifications, with the subject very close to the lens (think of the way a close fence blurs much more than a mountain in the distance when you look to the side of a car in motion).

Image stabilization components do not really add, like adding more rocks to a bag hanging from a tripod; every correction fails to perfectly track what it attempts to correct, and add some jitter of its own (usually low frequencies are mostly corrected, and higher frequency errors are added), which can be a net negative if there was not much to correct, to begin with, giving significant added error and nothing useful as far as correction is concerned.

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 7,578

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

-- hide signature --

I love 50mm (equivalence)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads