Noise issue on Alpha 7iii

Started 1 month ago | Questions
AurelienC New Member • Posts: 2
Noise issue on Alpha 7iii

Hi everybody,

I am doing photography as a hobby and i have the feeling that my recent pictures exhibit significantly much more noise and lack of sharpness than at the beginning on my A7iii.

It is more obvious when i'm pushing the ISO (even at 300-400) and also when i'm underexposing. Here is an exemple of a shot at 400 iso on a tripod at sunset:

left side represent the middle of the photo

Here another example of a recent shot i find grainy and not sharp (lens used is the tamron 17-28 so not the sharpest as well) :

Any idea of what could be the cause?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
juanmaasecas
juanmaasecas Senior Member • Posts: 1,155
Re: Noise issue on Alpha 7iii

For the first one, if you’re in a low iso but you’re pushing in post, it’s like if you shot at a higher iso. Also in the shadows is where noise is more apparent.

for the second one, if it’s less sharp as you expected it’s because you set the aperture at f20, and your sensor is diffraction limited. At f8-f11, the picture would have been much sharper.

your camera is fine and is not getting worse over time, don’t worry.

juanmaasecas's gear list:juanmaasecas's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Sony a7 III Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +9 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,675

Are these OOC JPGs? If not, how were they processed?

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,120

The program Neat Image usually does a good job of removing or at least reducing noise.

In a shot like the sunset scene, you have to underexpose the ground to avoid overexposing the sky. But if you bracket your exposure, you can often merge the set of bracketed shots to get a better result. Affinity Photo is good for this.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Nokiron
Nokiron Regular Member • Posts: 152

Yeah, there is definitely too much gear blame here. It's technique that needs to be improved.

Nokiron's gear list:Nokiron's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +8 more
gjd_100 Forum Member • Posts: 57

Yup. That's why I'm in no position  to complain (yet). When my pictures come out bad.... place your bets on "operator error". 

gjd_100's gear list:gjd_100's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
OP AurelienC New Member • Posts: 2

Thanks for your quick answers

The first one is just a crop not process of the raw file. I tried to process it a bit but i didn't manage to get anything out of it.

I agree for the second one, not the best sharpness at f20...

ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,087

AurelienC wrote:

Thanks for your quick answers

The first one is just a crop not process of the raw file. I tried to process it a bit but i didn't manage to get anything out of it.

I agree for the second one, not the best sharpness at f20...

You must have processed the raw file to make an image, even if you used default settings.  You could try selective noise reduction on the sky.

With such a dark main subject and bright lights in the background you might consider using flash next time.  Alternatively you could find another light source where you were.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
Magnar W
Magnar W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,084
If pushing at post, be aware of second gain level

juanmaasecas wrote:

For the first one, if you’re in a low iso but you’re pushing in post, it’s like if you shot at a higher iso. Also in the shadows is where noise is more apparent.

Be aware of second gain level with Sony cameras when using higher ISO than base ISO (ISO 100). With the A7III and A7rIII you will get cleaner results from ISO 640 than from lower ISO settings, due to how noise is handled in-camera before the raw files are written.

for the second one, if it’s less sharp as you expected it’s because you set the aperture at f20, and your sensor is diffraction limited. At f8-f11, the picture would have been much sharper.

There is typically a slight loss in sharpness from f:11 to f:16 and a significant loss at smaller aperture settings.

your camera is fine and is not getting worse over time, don’t worry.

True!

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads