Sony A7III shutter button failure / warranty repair

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
voronspb
voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,982
Sony A7III shutter button failure / warranty repair

My Sony A7III is almost 2.5 years old by now, and several months ago it started making 2 photos at once in single shot mode. Obviously that's caused by unstable contact in shutter button. It wasn't a big deal for me, as it appeared only if pressing the button really slowly.

A few weeks ago the shutter button issue evolved into lack of stable operation in AF-S mode: with shutter button half-pressed, the camera twitched the focus sporadically. It became a real problem for me, as it was like tinkling the shutter button, with sporadical focus freezes.

Yesterday I went to official Sony service (luckily my camera is under extended 3-year warranty), and today I was informed that they'll replace the entire upper body assembly, with all the buttons on the top. Looks like an expensive repair, if done without warranty.

If everything goes well, my camera will return to me in 2 weeks.

It's the second time I take my A7III camera to the service under warranty: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4388534

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

voronspb's gear list:voronspb's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +7 more
Mike Evangelist
Mike Evangelist Contributing Member • Posts: 583
Re: Sony A7III shutter button failure / warranty repair

Lucky you bought the extended warranty!

Mike Evangelist's gear list:Mike Evangelist's gear list
Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN +2 more
XMN Regular Member • Posts: 199

voronspb wrote:

My Sony A7III is almost 2.5 years old by now, and several months ago it started making 2 photos at once in single shot mode. Obviously that's caused by unstable contact in shutter button. It wasn't a big deal for me, as it appeared only if pressing the button really slowly.

A few weeks ago the shutter button issue evolved into lack of stable operation in AF-S mode: with shutter button half-pressed, the camera twitched the focus sporadically. It became a real problem for me, as it was like tinkling the shutter button, with sporadical focus freezes.

Yesterday I went to official Sony service (luckily my camera is under extended 3-year warranty), and today I was informed that they'll replace the entire upper body assembly, with all the buttons on the top. Looks like an expensive repair, if done without warranty.

If everything goes well, my camera will return to me in 2 weeks.

It's the second time I take my A7III camera to the service under warranty: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4388534

Well, prepare yourself...

Mine went to repair with the same problem as yours in summer of 2019, after almost exactly one year, it failled again with the exact same problem...

I was told that what is replaced is the 'switch control block' whatever that is...

Good luck.

XMN's gear list:XMN's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +5 more
voronspb
OP voronspb Senior Member • Posts: 1,982

Mike Evangelist wrote:

Lucky you bought the extended warranty!

No, it's the regular offer by certain Sony-approved shops here in Russia. The pro-level equipment gets 3-year warranty instead of regular 2.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +7 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,675

The part is $120 from Encompass. I wouldn't think it's more than an hour to replace it, but I don't know what a repair center would charge for the part... maybe double? So... $300 - $400 for such a repair out of pocket?

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
voronspb

SQLGuy wrote:

The part is $120 from Encompass. I wouldn't think it's more than an hour to replace it, but I don't know what a repair center would charge for the part... maybe double? So... $300 - $400 for such a repair out of pocket?

In my country there's flat rate labor charge for Sony, Canon and Nikon repairs, with 3 different difficulty levels, and 3 levels of camera class.

For A7III camera (top class) the most complicated repair would be $100 + parts. The easiest repair (like replacing outer body element w/o disassembly) would be $30 + parts.

-- hide signature --

Vladimir Gorbunov

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,675

voronspb wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

In my country there's flat rate labor charge for Sony, Canon and Nikon repairs, with 3 different difficulty levels, and 3 levels of camera class.

For A7III camera (top class) the most complicated repair would be $100 + parts. The easiest repair (like replacing outer body element w/o disassembly) would be $30 + parts.

That's good. Wish we had that here (US). There's still the question of their parts prices vs. Encompass. Encompass charges Sony end user prices or sometimes a discount from them. I think the repair centers charge quite a bit over those prices.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
DmitryA7III Forum Member • Posts: 81

Pora vozvraschatsa v Rossiyu, sdes za $100 nikto nichevo ne budet chinit. Good luck!!

DmitryA7III's gear list:DmitryA7III's gear list
Sony a7 III
voronspb
The button was replaced in one week, it works fine now (n/t)

No text.

Despiser Regular Member • Posts: 214

I shutter to think if it wasn’t under extended warranty

Despiser's gear list:Despiser's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads