Purchasing a R6 and very confused about cards and lenses

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,739
Re: Purchasing a R6 and very confused about cards and lenses

Sarah Is Confused wrote:

I definitely will! Thanks again everyone 😊

Yes, the originally posted 300MB/s San Disk card is likely expensive overkill for you, but a UHS II card is still what I would suggest... just a more modest one. Look for a decent priced V60 UHS II card like this one, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NLWGKT4/?tag=05060701-20. Fast and moderately priced.

The R6's best video maxes out on a V60 card's speed so there's not much need to go any higher.  That's good news because V60 cards are still reasonably priced and offer good performance.

As for the 70-200, the EF's will be a bargain, but the RFs on Canon's factory refurbs may be an option. Especially, when they come in upward 30%+ off mixed with other deals or sales vouchers.  The biggest problem with the factory refurb's is waiting for stock. But they come from Canon with a full warranty, and generally looking brand-spanking new in a special but boring box. I have had one of the four lenses I bought from Canon's refurb program that had a food finger print on the body. Again that is the exception and after a quick wipe down, the single print was gone and the lens was maculate otherwise.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 4,293

Tazz93 wrote:

Sarah Is Confused wrote:

Yes, the originally posted 300MB/s San Disk card is likely expensive overkill for you, but a UHS II card is still what I would suggest... just a more modest one. Look for a decent priced V60 UHS II card like this one, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NLWGKT4/?tag=05060701-20. Fast and moderately priced.

At 120Mb/s WRITE speed (not the meaningless 250Mb/s READ speed) it is only marginally faster than a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s or 170Mb/s (which can write at around 90-95Mb/s), and it is a Lexar which seems to have had some issues since they sold out or moved to China from bits I have read. Not sure I would go that route.

The R6's best video maxes out on a V60 card's speed so there's not much need to go any higher. That's good news because V60 cards are still reasonably priced and offer good performance.

As for the 70-200, the EF's will be a bargain, but the RFs on Canon's factory refurbs may be an option. Especially, when they come in upward 30%+ off mixed with other deals or sales vouchers. The biggest problem with the factory refurb's is waiting for stock. But they come from Canon with a full warranty, and generally looking brand-spanking new in a special but boring box. I have had one of the four lenses I bought from Canon's refurb program that had a food finger print on the body. Again that is the exception and after a quick wipe down, the single print was gone and the lens was maculate otherwise.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more
Tazz93

Andy01 wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Sarah Is Confused wrote:

At 120Mb/s WRITE speed (not the meaningless 250Mb/s READ speed) it is only marginally faster than a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s or 170Mb/s (which can write at around 90-95Mb/s), and it is a Lexar which seems to have had some issues since they sold out or moved to China from bits I have read. Not sure I would go that route.

The R6's best video maxes out on a V60 card's speed so there's not much need to go any higher. That's good news because V60 cards are still reasonably priced and offer good performance.

As for the 70-200, the EF's will be a bargain, but the RFs on Canon's factory refurbs may be an option. Especially, when they come in upward 30%+ off mixed with other deals or sales vouchers. The biggest problem with the factory refurb's is waiting for stock. But they come from Canon with a full warranty, and generally looking brand-spanking new in a special but boring box. I have had one of the four lenses I bought from Canon's refurb program that had a food finger print on the body. Again that is the exception and after a quick wipe down, the single print was gone and the lens was maculate otherwise.

Colin

Unfortunately, San Disk doesn't guarantee the 60MB/s write speed. While its generally good for 90 MB/s, the number it may drop below the required 60MB/s for demanding video. I have a a ton of that particular card and can say its good, but it doesn't meet Canon's suggested requirements. So I wouldn't tell someone to get a card that fails to meet the requirement. That's a personal decision that someone can make if they feel like pushing the limits.

As far as Lexar quality, I have a new card for my R5 and its blazing fast and seems reliable (but I don't use it a lot with the CFe slot available). Regardless, I'd still say any V60 UHS II will be fine, and there are lots to choose from at reasonable prices.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Jx9 Regular Member • Posts: 221

I only skimmed through this so it might've been mentioned, but my 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I handles 4K60 CLog no problem in my quick test. Ignore the Canon minimum specs. They're $40 each. The microsd non pro version is $25. Same write speed. So $50 for all of your card needs. Forever. Quite the contrast to the R5. Yikes.

Jx9's gear list:Jx9's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R6 +16 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,325

Tazz93 wrote:

As far as Lexar quality, I have a new card for my R5 and its blazing fast and seems reliable (but I don't use it a lot with the CFe slot available). Regardless, I'd still say any V60 UHS II will be fine, and there are lots to choose from at reasonable prices.

I've ordered the Lexar V60 card as a spare for my R5. No SD card supports all the video modes, or buffer sizes as large as CFx, so it can only be a fall-back if my one and only CFx card fails or gets filled up. Therefore good enough I feel. There are others which are in the same ballpark for price - but not Sandisk.

DuckShots
DuckShots Contributing Member • Posts: 685

As for the lens, I have the RF and think it is one of the best lenses I ever used, but I don't think it works for making videos of your children. It is a good sports lens, so if it some kind of ball, it may work. Lot of weight to hand hold.

DuckShots's gear list:DuckShots's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS R Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
Tazz93

Jx9 wrote:

I only skimmed through this so it might've been mentioned, but my 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I handles 4K60 CLog no problem in my quick test. Ignore the Canon minimum specs. They're $40 each. The microsd non pro version is $25. Same write speed. So $50 for all of your card needs. Forever. Quite the contrast to the R5. Yikes.

I believe Canon says cards like the San Disk can support the lower bitrate 4k60 modes but not the C-Log bitrate or HDR PQ mode. Again... for the OP's uses, that might be fine, but I would never suggest someone buy something and hope it works. Now, if they have that card already and simply prefer to try it out, sure no harm in that. But when people are looking to buy a card, I'd suggest they follow what the manufacturer says.

Also... the V60 approved cards can be cheaper than the similar speed U3 San Disks. For example the 128GB San Disk is $40, but the V60 Lexar I posted is $35 for 128GB. No reason to buy and hope when the approved card type is cheaper.

-- hide signature --

Tazz93

Steve Balcombe wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

I've ordered the Lexar V60 card as a spare for my R5. No SD card supports all the video modes, or buffer sizes as large as CFx, so it can only be a fall-back if my one and only CFx card fails or gets filled up. Therefore good enough I feel. There are others which are in the same ballpark for price - but not Sandisk.

Yeah, my V90 Lexar doesn't hold a candle to the CFexpress slot. On my R5 it clears the full buffer in 6 seconds compared to about double that with the V90 card. For a little reference, the San Disk we are all talking about (I have a number of them) takes about 40 seconds to clear the same size buffer.

However the V90 card is fast enough for the lower bitrate 8k modes and is a legitimate option for those using the R5 and not ready to shell out more for a CFe card. But to use the high bitrate options a VERY specific set of requirements need to be met.

-- hide signature --

NikoTheFish New Member • Posts: 3

Did you like the camera? I'm thinking of buying it too and I will also shoot family pics, and a bit of landscape.

The Ambassador Junior Member • Posts: 37

R2D2 wrote:

Google is telling me I should buy 2 "SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card", would you all agree with this?

+1

Well, the thing is that you can achieve the maximum results in terms of speed with THIS TYPE of card. For example when shooting in burst mode or video recording.
However, I even used a cheap micro-sd card on an SD adapter
This is just to tell you that this is the BEST type of memoy card the camera can support (300 mb/V90/UHS-II).

RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,765

Eddie Rizk wrote:

Sarah Is Confused wrote:

Hello everyone,

First post here. I have been photographing on my second hand, very beat up, 7D for years and have decided to take the plunge and buy a R6. I'm not very technology minded and having been using the equipment for so long I'm a bit confused about all the different options for cards. Google is telling me I should buy 2 "SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card", would you all agree with this?

I'm hoping to purchase a 70-200mm lens later in the year and wasn't sure if I should go for a secondhand (but like new) EF or a new (but with cash back) RF. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I mostly photograph my children but I'm also taking a video course and plan to use the camera for family films. I also have a set of studio lights that I use for "photoshoots" with my children.

Thank you all so much, all advice is welcome.

I don't shoot video and shoot very little action, but I understand that faster cards are very helpful for video and somewhat helpful for burst shooting of stills. If your kids are in sports, that can matter.

EF lenses are just as good on R type cameras as they are on EF type cameras.

Where the RF lenses will help you is with the high speed display that improves your view in the view finder and the speed of burst shooting for sports. They are also typically smaller and lighter. The image quality is going to be better, but not that much.

I have a combination of EF and RF lenses that I use in my R5.  I have not noticed any differences at all with the high speed display and the view in the view finder. I would like to know more.

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +32 more
RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,765

Master619 wrote:

Sarah Is Confused wrote:

Hello everyone,

First post here. I have been photographing on my second hand, very beat up, 7D for years and have decided to take the plunge and buy a R6. I'm not very technology minded and having been using the equipment for so long I'm a bit confused about all the different options for cards. Google is telling me I should buy 2 "SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card", would you all agree with this?

I'm hoping to purchase a 70-200mm lens later in the year and wasn't sure if I should go for a secondhand (but like new) EF or a new (but with cash back) RF. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I mostly photograph my children but I'm also taking a video course and plan to use the camera for family films. I also have a set of studio lights that I use for "photoshoots" with my children.

"SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MB/s UHS-II SDXC Card" is a very good card, but if all you will do is photographing your children and family you don't necessarily need it, let alone two of them. One of them will be plentiful, or two 64GB ones if you want the best peace of mind for redundancy. Hell, even one 64GB is a good starting point if you wanna save the money for something else. Of course SD cards are quite cheap nowadays and / or if you have a large budget then sure go for 2 128GB ones.

About the 70-200, of course the RF one is the greatest right now but the EF version ii or iii is not too far behind. The best thing about the RF is it's quite light and compact (when collapsed), so bringing it on shoots feels less of a hassle. That, of course, comes with a much heftier price tag. Image quality and focus wise, the RF will be a bit better than the other two, but not by much and you'll need to pixel peep to see the difference. The images from the EF lenses will definitely be enough to make you happy. So in my opinion, consider their sizes / ergonomics and price more than image quality / focus speed.

She probably won’t notice the difference in IQ and/or focus speed but the size and compactness she will notice every time! That RF is one sweet lens.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +32 more
Eddie Rizk Contributing Member • Posts: 844

RogerZoul wrote:

Eddie Rizk wrote:

Sarah Is Confused wrote:

Hello everyone,

I don't shoot video and shoot very little action, but I understand that faster cards are very helpful for video and somewhat helpful for burst shooting of stills. If your kids are in sports, that can matter.

EF lenses are just as good on R type cameras as they are on EF type cameras.

Where the RF lenses will help you is with the high speed display that improves your view in the view finder and the speed of burst shooting for sports. They are also typically smaller and lighter. The image quality is going to be better, but not that much.

I have a combination of EF and RF lenses that I use in my R5. I have not noticed any differences at all with the high speed display and the view in the view finder. I would like to know more.

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.

In reading some other accounts of R5 and R6, what I described may only be a problem with the original R and RP.

-- hide signature --

Eddie Rizk
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM +3 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,325

RogerZoul wrote:

I have a combination of EF and RF lenses that I use in my R5. I have not noticed any differences at all with the high speed display and the view in the view finder. I would like to know more.

This is something I was very keen to try out when I got my R5. Chasing fast-moving birds with the 100-500 using default EVF settings was ok but there was definitely room for improvement. I switched to both the faster refresh rate and Disp. performance = Smooth, and the improvement was really noticeable. It's like an optical viewfinder but clearer! And more informative of course.

Due to the limited free time I've had with the camera, and some very poor weather, I haven't as yet been able to experiment further with the settings, or to try this with my EF lenses such as the 100-400, but a dry weekend is forecast so fingers crossed...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads