Milky Way with the Nikon D850 & Nikon 14-24mm lens (Images)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,785
Milky Way with the Nikon D850 & Nikon 14-24mm lens (Images)

Here are some of my images from Toadstool Hoodoos near Kanab, Utah. Using my Star Adventurer star tracker (btw the new version 2i is now out and has WiFi which works surprisingly well), I was able to bring out the detail in the Milky Way. The landscape there is surreal and beautiful and the skies are some of the darkest I've seen. Dual exposure - Foreground at twilight and the Milky Way at night. Milky Way for each is a stack of 6 images, each 4 minutes exposure at ISO 400.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
 Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Antal I Kozma
Antal I Kozma Veteran Member • Posts: 3,280
Re: Milky Way with the Nikon D850 & Nikon 14-24mm lens (Images)

Lovely images. I always admire the dedication and specialized knowledge of folks dedicated to night-scape photography.

Best, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +20 more
Lihkin
OP Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,785

Antal I Kozma wrote:

Lovely images. I always admire the dedication and specialized knowledge of folks dedicated to night-scape photography.

Best, AIK

Thanks Antal - I recently got into astrophotography and realized I enjoy it. The game changer though was buying a star tracker and being able to lower my ISO while using a shutter speed of between 2 and 6 minutes.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,175

Excellent work, especially the first one! Far better than any night sky images I've ever taken (which isn't many). For that first image, I wonder if an 8x10 crop would be even better, cropping up from the bottom? Just a thought, but they are gorgeous as is.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Lihkin
OP Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,785

NikonNature wrote:

Excellent work, especially the first one! Far better than any night sky images I've ever taken (which isn't many). For that first image, I wonder if an 8x10 crop would be even better, cropping up from the bottom? Just a thought, but they are gorgeous as is.

Thank you - I actually was thinking of cropping the bottom a little and now that you bring it up, I think I will try it out. I think it will look tighter. Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,175

Lihkin wrote:

NikonNature wrote:

Thank you - I actually was thinking of cropping the bottom a little and now that you bring it up, I think I will try it out. I think it will look tighter. Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

My pleasure. Your images were good enough that I looked up the star tracking device. I hardly do any night photography, but when I see images like that I get tempted. Unfortunately, I'd have to travel a bit to find dark skies, and even further to find a landscape like that. 

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads