Those of you who upgraded to the R4..

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
crashwins Contributing Member • Posts: 927
Those of you who upgraded to the R4..

Are you happy with it over the R3? I handled my friend's R4 the other day, and I was very pleased with the ergonomics and button layout/feedback: it felt like Sony finally got it right (I'd need a bottomplate, though). The back-button AF has that extra feedback...It'a nice.

That said, it's a lot of cash to upgrade from the R3 when I don't really need the MPs. I wonder about the color, whether it's better or more refined, though I find the color good on the R3 too.  What do you think?

ekaton Contributing Member • Posts: 991
Re: Those of you who upgraded to the R4..

crashwins wrote:

Are you happy with it over the R3? I handled my friend's R4 the other day, and I was very pleased with the ergonomics and button layout/feedback: it felt like Sony finally got it right (I'd need a bottomplate, though). The back-button AF has that extra feedback...It'a nice.

That said, it's a lot of cash to upgrade from the R3 when I don't really need the MPs. I wonder about the color, whether it's better or more refined, though I find the color good on the R3 too. What do you think?

It's a mixed bag. Ergonomics and even greater cropping power are a reason to upgrade. File size and higher noise levels a reason to hold on to the R3.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a7C Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +7 more
mfenske
mfenske Regular Member • Posts: 353

I'm curious about the R4 as I think (maybe I'm wrong?) that it's got a larger PDAF area than the R3? Miss the amazing AF coverage the A7iii had.

-- hide signature --

Photography newbie who's having fun learning

mfenske's gear list:mfenske's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD +1 more
Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Senior Member • Posts: 2,995

I had two A7RIII's.  I changed one of them to the IV, when it was released.

There are many small improvements in the IV that, for me, added-up to a better shooting experience.  A big one, was the ability to make the focus square a color, so I would not lose it in difficult lighting situations, along with the ability to shoot an APS-C crop and maintain 28mp.  This really added flexibility to my sharp lenses like the GM 135mm.   The increased viewfinder resolution, now allows me to quickly check eye focus-sharpness at 100% magnification, on the fly.

In the end, despite initially vowing to myself that I wasn't going to do it, I converted my backup A7RIII to a IV.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +10 more
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,158

I upgraded from the R2 to the R4 and I love it. The A7R4 is a better camera in every single way.

If you're not convinced it's worth the upgrade from the R3, perhaps you should wait just under two years and get yourself an A7R5 when it comes out?

I shoot 100% RAW and mostly landscapes, so I didn't have any issues with the A7R2's colours, and I still don't have any issues with the A7R4's colours. If I'm honest I think most of the "colours" issues were probably FUD from Canon or Nikon fanboys, because they didn't have anything as good available in their preferred brand...

OP crashwins Contributing Member • Posts: 927

Lan wrote:

I upgraded from the R2 to the R4 and I love it. The A7R4 is a better camera in every single way.

If you're not convinced it's worth the upgrade from the R3, perhaps you should wait just under two years and get yourself an A7R5 when it comes out?

I shoot 100% RAW and mostly landscapes, so I didn't have any issues with the A7R2's colours, and I still don't have any issues with the A7R4's colours. If I'm honest I think most of the "colours" issues were probably FUD from Canon or Nikon fanboys, because they didn't have anything as good available in their preferred brand...

Well you shoot landscapes. That explains it 😉

richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,218

crashwins wrote:

That said, it's a lot of cash to upgrade from the R3 when I don't really need the MPs. I wonder about the color, whether it's better or more refined, though I find the color good on the R3 too. What do you think?

Are you dissatisfied enough to want to change? That has always been my rationale. Which explains why I'm still using A7R2.

Mostly nature photography here (landscapes, botany) and I recall the first series I photographed in the Sequoia National Forest, California.

Cattails in winter

And a month later.

I've not seen any better looking images from the R3 or R4 (especially the R4 where I observe annoying noise in a lot of postings around here. )

New features is another matter, and those may be worth the upgrade for you. However, I suggest you sit back and think carefully about what you "need" and how the new features will improve your photography before spending the money!

Best of success in your decision.

- Richard

-- hide signature --
 richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
Nebell Regular Member • Posts: 311

I upgraded from R3 to R4, but mainly for faster autofocus and higher mpix. I don't have big hands and R3 ergonomic was good enough for me.

I'd say wait a year for R5? Since A7S III finally got a new processor, it's a safe bet that R5 will have it too.

I'm tempted to sell my R4 and buy A7 IV. I shoot mostly motorsport.

Nebell's gear list:Nebell's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 2,045

crashwins wrote:

I am very definitely happy with my R4 over my R3. I like the grip, I really like the EVF, the AF is really good, and the buttons are bigger. The locking exposure compensation dial is nice, too.

Oh, and it has a few more pixels, too.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +4 more
Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,372

crashwins wrote:

I don't think the improvements are huge, but definitely worthwhile. The even-better EVF makes manual focusing even easier, the ergonomics are slightly better (I have L-plate/grip extensions on both cameras) and general ease-of-use is improved. The extra pixels are helpful at times.

To sum it up, I wouldn't buy the R IV if you have to sacrifice something else important to do it, but if it wouldn't hurt financially the upgrade is IMO very nice to have.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
TristanW
TristanW Contributing Member • Posts: 724

R4 has big step forward vs R3, especially AF accuracy of distant subject, vs R3. I sold my r3 after around 7 months. i'm pleased to keep R4 for a longer period.

but looking foword next year, SONY should bring us much more upgrade for incoming bodies. so...

-- hide signature --

Tristan.W

TristanW's gear list:TristanW's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +7 more
Photographer124 Regular Member • Posts: 400

I also upgraded from R3, and it was a worthwhile upgrade; for me, the image quality of R3 was good enough, but the advancements in autofocus, better ergonomics and the nice and bright EVF, made it worth while.

There are other nicer things, like I can ftp my shots over 5G wifi now, and it works well, without having to keep unplugging the card from the camera, etc.

Overall, I am happy I did it. The ONLY thing I miss sometimes from the old R3, is high iso performance. I find that I need to expose much more precise with the R4 in order to keep noise down.

Photographer124's gear list:Photographer124's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +1 more
Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,361

crashwins wrote:

The R3, espicially at used prices, its such a great deal that is hard to justify but for me the RIV added enough features to make it count, like much better EVF, dual FAST cards, better sealing, Wifi tethering!, improved Eye AF and tracking, Eye AF for video.
Even the extra cropping is nice to have. As far as being noisier, the RIV exposes a bit brother than the R3 so after matching exposure and resolution, the difference is pretty much negligible.

Now if I were constantly shooting very high ISO, maybe I would go a different route.
I wouldn't upgrade just for ergonomics as sure it feels nice, but I didn't have issues with the R3 and a half case for extra grip. As far as color, I shoot RAW so I didn't dig deep into their differences.

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN +5 more
TristanW
TristanW Contributing Member • Posts: 724

Photographer124 wrote:

I also upgraded from R3, and it was a worthwhile upgrade; for me, the image quality of R3 was good enough, but the advancements in autofocus, better ergonomics and the nice and bright EVF, made it worth while.

There are other nicer things, like I can ftp my shots over 5G wifi now, and it works well, without having to keep unplugging the card from the camera, etc.

Overall, I am happy I did it. The ONLY thing I miss sometimes from the old R3, is high iso performance. I find that I need to expose much more precise with the R4 in order to keep noise down.

yes, all improvements you mentioned are very good ones.

As Canon is keeping fighting back hard, beside the upgrade we can see from 7s3. I guess next 7R5 might bring us SONY 2x2 OCL: which means cross type OS-PDAF, and real time HDR. Hope so.

-- hide signature --

Tristan.W

TristanW's gear list:TristanW's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +7 more
Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 347

crashwins wrote:

That said, it's a lot of cash to upgrade from the R3 when I don't really need the MPs.

Yes exactly

I wonder about the color,

I feel it's better SOOC, but no concrete evidence

whether it's better or more refined, though I find the color good on the R3 too. What do you think?

The biggest reason I'm using R4 rather than R3 is because it can background upload to FTP, and you can do it with the press of a single button. On the R3 you have to go into this complicated menu, select photos confirm and wait for the progress bar to complete.

Also the EVF is just barely good enough I can sometimes manual focus without zooming in.

Also don't listen to the BS, the A7RIV does appear noisier at 100% and same ISO level but there's more megapixels so 100% is effectively more magnification. It also makes brighter images at the same ISO number. If you take everything into account, that means equal exposure at equal magnification, it looks pretty much the same.

Qqphot Regular Member • Posts: 114

Andy873 wrote:

crashwins wrote:

That said, it's a lot of cash to upgrade from the R3 when I don't really need the MPs.

Yes exactly

whether it's better or more refined, though I find the color good on the R3 too. What do you think?

The biggest reason I'm using R4 rather than R3 is because it can background upload to FTP, and you can do it with the press of a single button. On the R3 you have to go into this complicated menu, select photos confirm and wait for the progress bar to complete.

Also the EVF is just barely good enough I can sometimes manual focus without zooming in.

Also don't listen to the BS, the A7RIV does appear noisier at 100% and same ISO level but there's more megapixels so 100% is effectively more magnification. It also makes brighter images at the same ISO number. If you take everything into account, that means equal exposure at equal magnification, it looks pretty much the same.

Yeah, the improved connectivity is the main thing for me. Trying to upload with the r3 is frustrating. It's occasionally nice to have the added resolution of the r4 for cropping but that only really helps if you have perfect focus and stability.

poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 845

crashwins wrote:

So as someone who rented an R4 and owns an R3, the R3 is the best mountain camera Sony makes right now.

And what I mean by that is that everything that's bad about the R3 (Terrible menus, slightly worse AF, that UHS-1 slot dropping you to about 1 FPS once the buffer fills, those subtle life-improving ergonomic factors...) runs right into "Mountains don't move" and stops mattering.

And then suddenly the R4 problems emerge and they're still mattering.  Higher noise even at ISO 100 (which sort of defeats the cropping), giant files that make an i7 with 32 GB of RAM squeal...

Sure, the ergonomic improvements are great... and there's a reason I skipped it.

OTOH, if you take pictures of things other than mountains, well, that's a different story.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +1 more
Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 2,361

Andy873 wrote:

crashwins wrote:

Yes exactly

Unfortunately, you keep seeing that repeated over and over..that is how it goes

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN +5 more
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,026

A7R3 user who will be waiting to see what the A7R5 looks like.

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads