Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

lokatz wrote:

Not an easy question, and you're likely to get plenty of different opinions. Having owned a D7100 and a D7500, and having spent extensive time comparing Nikon's various bodies, here is mine:

- Yes, the D7100 is worth spending 100£ more. The higher resolution and better low-light performance will give you better pics with the kind of subjects you are shooting.

- The D7200 and D7500 each perform slightly better than the D7100. Personally, I believe neither would give you enough of an advantage to be worth spending more. Higher fps seems a don't care with your main subjects - hat matters more when shooting rapidly moving wildlife- and none of the other improvements these bodies offer would make much of a difference to you as far as I can see.

- The price gap between the D7200 vs the D7100 is WAY too big. These bodies differ only in fairly insignificant ways. The D7500 and D7200 perform about the same in low light, which in both cases means 'marginally better than the D7100', but the main advantages of the D7500 lie in AF speed and fps, neither of which look all that important to your style shoot.

- It seems to me the bigger question is not so much which body to get but which lenses to put on it. With your subjects, a better body makes less of a difference than a better lens will.
The 35mm prime is a good lens but somewhat limiting what you can shoot with it. My recommendation is to start with a Sigma 17-50, which you can even get new at reasonable prices. It is wide enough for architecture, has an f/2.8 aperture that makes it fast enough for low-light street shooting, and while being fairly plasticky, its optical performance is better than that of anything Nikon offers in that focal range.

- The next lens I would add is Nikon's AF-P 70-300 DX VR. It is an excellent lens, especially considering its price, way better than the older AF-S 70-300 versions.

Thanks lokatz,

You're quite correct about the varying opinions!

Only think I have decided is that it won’t be a D7000. I’m still keeping an eye on used bodies for the others but the prices seem quite high at the moment. The prices I put in my OP seem to be the best prices, so it may end up being more.

I will take a look at the sigma. I did like the 70-300VR II and really enjoyed it. Got some shots I was happy with at Santa Pod (drag racing)

OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?
1

DeathArrow wrote:

If those are the prices in your country, I think you are better with D7100. Better AF and better IQ. I don't think D7200 or D7500 are worth the price difference.

In my country I can get D7000 for around 100GBP and D7100 for 200GBP. While D610 can be had for 300GBP. In that case, I would much prefer to get D610. If you can buy a cheap D610, go for it. It will help you in many ways. Or even a D700, is still better than any D7x00.

Thanks DeathAroow,

A 610 with <20k actuations can be had for around £400 so maybe an option worth looking at.

OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

baloo_buc wrote:

The prices should be compared with the shutter counts for each camera. A 200.000 photos D7500 might worth less than 10.000 photos D7000.

D7100 has a very small buffer that makes burst photography very difficult. If you don't need that then D7100 is the best value. As D7100 is older than D7200 verify the shutter count of D7100. My D7200 has less than 20.000 for usual use It has almost 5 years).

Thanks baloo_buc,

Almost everything I’m looking at/considering has <15k actuations.

OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Thanks Gerry,

Pentax is not a brand I’ve ever held, however again, always open to thoughts as I am essentially starting a fresh and don’t have any gear for any brand.

I say the 35mm because that’s what I used mostly previously, and sems quite good lens for the price. As earlier suggested perhaps the Tamron may also be a good place to start and give me a bit more length.

OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?
1

DeathArrow wrote:

Also try to look for D700, D600, D610, the prices have fallen and you might have a nice surprise.

D610 at around £400-£450 may be an option!

OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

So as always I’ve ended up more confused than ever getting deeper into reading.

The 7500 is a slightly improved 7200 but actually loses some features. I don’t know if I ever planned to use old lenses but id be nice to have the option.

Right now, if you had the choice which would you go for?

  1. Used D7200 <15k shots for ~£425
  2. Used D610 <20k shots for ~£400
  3. Used D750 <20k for ~£650
  4. New, grey import D7500 for £590

Thanks for any thoughts.

lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,126
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?
1

DTA wrote:

So as always I’ve ended up more confused than ever getting deeper into reading.

The 7500 is a slightly improved 7200 but actually loses some features. I don’t know if I ever planned to use old lenses but id be nice to have the option.

Right now, if you had the choice which would you go for?

  1. Used D7200 <15k shots for ~£425
  2. Used D610 <20k shots for ~£400
  3. Used D750 <20k for ~£650
  4. New, grey import D7500 for £590

Thanks for any thoughts.

Alright, here are a few more thoughts:

All of these have an AF motor and thus support older lenses.

Whether you prefer full frame or DX is mostly up to you, as it means different lens choices.

The D750 is the best low-light performer of these four, but none of them are slouches in that department.

The D610 seems a bit more feature-limited than all others, but some folks like exactly that aspect.

From an AF accuracy and precision perspective, the D7500 is best and the D610 is worst.

Whether the features the D7500 'loses' matter to you is again a personal choice. The most relevant ones are that there is only one card slot and no option to add an extension grip. Both are complete don't cares for me, but you may feel differently.

Personally, I'd prefer a used D7500 over a grey one because of the potential issue with official Nikon services refusing to repair grey gear, but that depends somewhat on where you live.

All in all, not much of a risk in whatever you pick. All of them can take great pictures, so don't obsess too much over picking "the right one".

 lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +26 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,535
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

lokatz wrote:

All of these have an AF motor and thus support older lenses.

All of them support older auto-focus lenses that depend upon an in-body motor.  But

"the D7500 loses its second memory card slot as well as its 'Ai' indexing tab, limiting its compatibility with older, manual focus Nikon lenses (all previous D7000-series cameras had this)." – DPReview's D7500 review

So the question is whether the OP would ever bother to use any of those lenses.

lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,126
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Tom_N wrote:

lokatz wrote:

All of these have an AF motor and thus support older lenses.

All of them support older auto-focus lenses that depend upon an in-body motor. But

"the D7500 loses its second memory card slot as well as its 'Ai' indexing tab, limiting its compatibility with older, manual focus Nikon lenses (all previous D7000-series cameras had this)." – DPReview's D7500 review

So the question is whether the OP would ever bother to use any of those lenses.

Good point, thanks.

 lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +26 more
OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Thanks for the help all. I have posted another thread over at the system recommendations forum https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4523538#forum-post-64429534 where this probably should have gone originally!

I think I will go with the grey import as I’m happy enough to take that risk and the feedback fir the company seems good.

Just waiting on an answer from Nikon to see if they will repair grey market items out of warranty as I’ve read conflicting reports.

thanks

JaySun17
JaySun17 Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Having recently done a lot of side by side comparison of Nikon and Canon my first DSLR, what I found of the non-pro bodies, that many of them don't shoot 4k video, and are DX sensor. Neither of these may be a game changer for you, but that's likely what you'll be expecting. I ended up with a D7500, seems great...overall excellent reviews too.. but I'm hardly in a position to endorse it's virtues.

JaySun17
JaySun17 Regular Member • Posts: 195
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Notice you talked about grey imports. There's no way I would tough one of those with a 10ft barge pole. I saw on Nikons warranty card yesterday that they explicitly do not have an 'international' warranty. Besides that, do you know is that counterfeit products of name brands out of Asia are multi billion dollar industry. How would you feel of you paid 600 pounds on a fake ? Not such good value anymore !

OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

JaySun17 wrote:

Notice you talked about grey imports. There's no way I would tough one of those with a 10ft barge pole. I saw on Nikons warranty card yesterday that they explicitly do not have an 'international' warranty. Besides that, do you know is that counterfeit products of name brands out of Asia are multi billion dollar industry. How would you feel of you paid 600 pounds on a fake ? Not such good value anymore !

i guess it is a risk, but ive heard mostly positive things about e-infin.

i cant afford new and second hand is more expensive and of course you never know how someone treated thier gear.

either way is a risk i suppose.

DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 3,387
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

DTA wrote:

JaySun17 wrote:

Notice you talked about grey imports. There's no way I would tough one of those with a 10ft barge pole. I saw on Nikons warranty card yesterday that they explicitly do not have an 'international' warranty. Besides that, do you know is that counterfeit products of name brands out of Asia are multi billion dollar industry. How would you feel of you paid 600 pounds on a fake ? Not such good value anymore !

i guess it is a risk, but ive heard mostly positive things about e-infin.

i cant afford new and second hand is more expensive and of course you never know how someone treated thier gear.

either way is a risk i suppose.

Folks in my country buy most of stuff from e-infinity, because it's way cheaper than in regular stores. Nobody complained. E-infinity solves any warranty issue.

 DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D300 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Thanks for the thoughts.

i got the following response from Nikon UK

Thank you for contacting Nikon Customer Support.

In reply to your question, yes we do repair grey imports as long as they are genuine Nikon Products that have been imported to the European market. You will be quoted for the repair.

i think the answer is also a but grey, but i'll go with it!

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,535
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

DTA wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts.

i got the following response from Nikon UK

Thank you for contacting Nikon Customer Support.

In reply to your question, yes we do repair grey imports as long as they are genuine Nikon Products that have been imported to the European market. You will be quoted for the repair.

i think the answer is also a but grey, but i'll go with it!

I wonder if the wording of the answer has something to do with Brexit.  I.e., when the UK was part of the EU, imports to the UK through EU countries might have been "non-grey".  Now they are "grey", but there's still the issue of not hanging pre-Brexit customers out to dry.  So Nikon UK will service "official Nikon EU" cameras that Nikon UK would otherwise consider to be "grey".  But they might not service "grey" imports from East Asia.

The other possibility is that Nikon UK is actually willing to fix grey imports from anywhere, as long as you pay the tab.  This would be a different (and more welcome) policy than the one reportedly followed by Nikon USA.

No answers here, only more questions.

OP DTA Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Best used SLR for ‘newbie’ D7000, 7100, 7200, 7500 or other?

Hi All,

Just thought I’d drop in an update RE: Nikon repair of grey imports as if you’ve read the thread I’m considering purchasing from e-ifinity.

My initial question was something along the lines of do you repair grey imports

In reply to your question, yes we do repair grey imports as long as they are genuine Nikon Products that have been imported to the European market. You will be quoted for the repair.

However, could you please clarify the answer for me please? " In reply to your question, yes we do repair grey imports as long as they are genuine Nikon Products that have been imported to the European market"

For example - if I (or at least a friend of mine) were to buy a camera in Hong Kong would you service out of warranty?

If i were to buy from a company that imported the camera from outside the EU into the UK, would you service it out of warranty?

Thank you.

Thank you for your email.

As long as the camera purchased was a genuine and official Nikon product, we would be able to conduct a repair on the equipment at our Nikon UK workshop. Please note that any repairs or services will be chargeable.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads